NFL: Opponents set for 2016 NFL Season

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
So now that we have our Super Bowl, the opener seems pretty easy to figure out given past precedent of CG or playoff rematches.

Carolina hosts Arizona next year (risky considering they're not exactly ratings magnets)

Denver hosts New England.

One possibility that I'm not sure has ever happened (I don't think there's even been an inter-conference game), if Denver wins, they host Carolina next year, so we could see an immediate rematch.

Not a schedule nerd but its made in advance. I wonder since they started the charade if they've ever had one of the two potential champions to be actually already scheduled for a road game?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Not a schedule nerd but its made in advance. I wonder since they started the charade if they've ever had one of the two potential champions to be actually already scheduled for a road game?

It's made after the fact.

Long after baseball's schedule is made, which forced the Ravens to go on the road since the Orioles were at home on that opening Thursday.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It's made after the fact.

Long after baseball's schedule is made, which forced the Ravens to go on the road since the Orioles were at home on that opening Thursday.

Well I know they play in different stadiums so why couldn't they have the game at home? Baseball has 81 hone games I mean I highly doubt taking away one night will kill a team.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
They can't both play on the same day because they share parking.

I don't remember the entire scenario but rescheduling 1 game would've required 3 others being rescheduled, due to the travel schedule of who was coming to town next and what not.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yup.

16 games (6 division games, 4 games against one NFC division, 4 games against one AFC division, and the other 2 against same conference teams that finished in the same spot as you)

So, as long as they keep winning their respective division, they'll keep facing each other.
They're also guaranteed to play in 2017 with the AFC East cycling back to play the AFC West.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They can't both play on the same day because they share parking.

I don't remember the entire scenario but rescheduling 1 game would've required 3 others being rescheduled, due to the travel schedule of who was coming to town next and what not.

I'm surprised they couldn't just move the baseball game to 12 or 1. I mean baseball has those.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm surprised they couldn't just move the baseball game to 12 or 1. I mean baseball has those.

Like I said if you paying attention, that would screw up other games.

I believe O's were in Boston the night before while the White Sox were the visiting team and played the Yankees the previous night. They would've needed both those game moved up to 1 as well, since otherwise they wouldn't get to Baltimore until 1 or 2 am, they can't play another game that early.

The NFL was asking a lot to try to preserve what was only a 7 or so year old "tradition".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad