OPPF2020 Quarter-Final: San Jose Rubber Puckies vs. Portland Winterhawks

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Here's the list of captains in the league (I chose Toews over Sakic for the team that didn't mention it):

I will rank them:

Béliveau
Messier
Gretzky
Stevens
Toews
Crosby
Potvin

Then whoever out of Lidstrom, Bourque, Clapper, Vasiliev and Trottier.

Furthermore, many have assistants that are stronger than many captains. Clarke, Gerard, Sakic, Yzerman, Mikhailov, Kennedy, Abel, etc. Arguably all better or just as good as Bourque and Clapper.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Mostly agree with you @BenchBrawl , except I have a much higher opinion of Ted Lindsay's leadership than you do.

I have no strong opinion on Lindsay's leadership, but my comment was directed at Lindsay and Alfredsson as a duo of alternates. Alfredsson is a weak alternate at this level IMO; I vastly prefer guys like Doug Harvey or Gordie Howe for this purpose.

As for Lindsay, I'd rank the following alternates over him: Clarke, Gerard, Sakic, Yzerman, Mikhailov, Kennedy, Abel. So as a "#1 alternate", he's average at best in this league.

So overall, weak + average is what you have, which corresponds to my "rather weak" description of the duo.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ron Francis a.k.a. "Captain Class" was a top 100 player according to nhl.com and even in two HOH projects at HfBoards, 2nd in NHL career assists (despite not having elite wingers - imagine what that Selke winner would have done with a Brett Hull on his wing).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ron Francis a.k.a. "Captain Class" was a top 100 player according to nhl.com and even two HOH projects at HfBoards, 2nd in NHL career assists (despite not having elite wingers - imagine what that Selke winner would have done with a Brett Hull on his wing).

Who cares?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It was an off-hand (walking with a smartphone - 5pm Sunday afternoon here) comment among other statements. You decided to jump on the loose ball. You're on the team that'll win. Congrats.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Here are the actual leaders from every team; I picked the most reasonable ones when it wasn't specified.

Bourque (C)
Francis
Lach

Potvin (C)
Cook
Esposito

Béliveau (C)
Abel
Mikhailov

Gretzky (C)
Gerard
Apps Sr.

Vasiliev (K)
H.Richard
Schmidt

Messier (C)
Bucyk
Fetisov

Clapper (C)
Lindsay
Alfredsson

Crosby (C)
Clarke
Kennedy

Toews (C) ?
Sakic ?
Orr/Weber/Horton ?

Lidstrom (C)
Brind'Amour
M.Howe

Stevens (C) ?
Harvey ?
G.Howe ?

Trottier (C)
Yzerman
Langway

So assuming we flip Yzerman and Trottier on vadim's team to make the argument clearer, here's the list of "#1 alternates" in no order:

Gerard
Clarke
Abel
Cook
Henri
Lindsay
Francis
Sakic
Brind'Amour
Harvey(?)
Trottier(?)
Bucyk(?)

Then taking Alfredsson and "#2 alternates" in no order:

Lach
Esposito
Mikhailov
Apps
Schmidt
Fetisov
Alfredsson
Kennedy
Orr/Weber/Horton
M.Howe
G.Howe
Langway

I think my characterization was fair. Lindsay is average in the 1st group, and Alfredsson weak-ish on the 2nd.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There's no universe... even in ATD 2030, when....

The leadership of Bourque, Lach, Francis isn't better than...

The leadership of Clapper, Alfredsson and Lindsay.

We can agree to disagree TDMM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad