OPPF2020 1st Round - Kelowna vs. Unnamed

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
remq0bkI_400x400.png

Coach: Tommy Ivan

Alex Delvecchio --- Phil Esposito (A) --- Hooley Smith
Paul Thompson --- Evgeni Malkin --- Bill Cook (A)
Busher Jackson --- Eric Lindros --- Frank Foyston
John Madden --- Dale Hunter --- Jason Pominville

Denis Potvin (C) --- Al MacInnis
Larry Robinson --- Alex Pietrangelo
Ryan Suter --- Erik Karlsson

Vladislav Tretiak
Grant Fuhr

PP1: Cook - Esposito - Malkin - Potvin - MacInnis
PP2: Delvecchio - Lindros - Jackson - Robinson - Karlsson
PK1: Smith - Madden - Potvin - Robinson
PK2: Delvecchio - Pominville - Suter - MacInnis

vs.

Sakic
Schriner
St. Louis
Dionne
Phillips
Geoffrion
Hawerchuk
Toews
Dillon
Perry
Draisatl
Balderis

Orr
Horton
Weber
Murphy
Quackenbush
G. Suter

Parent
Holtby

@ResilientBeast , @scrappylilnobody

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I couldn't put the actual roster for scrappy's team, since she didn't put it in her roster post. If she wants me to edit it, she has to give me the actual roster.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
So looking at their roster, I have some questions about positions

Sakic, Dionne, Hawerchuk & Toews are certainly centers at the ATD level.

Sakic & Toews are obviously excellent two way guys at their (projected spots of 1st & 4th on the depth chart)

Dionne & Hawerchuk aren’t especially good defensively so one of big 3 centers will get softer defensive coverage for sure.

My team isn’t especially well equipped to deal with Bobby Orr defensively, we do have weapons that will help us wear him down over the course of a series. He will take his fair share of big hits on the cycle and during a dump and chase. We have speedier wingers to help pester him as best they can, and help shift the burden from our centers.

Looking at our D groups as a whole, I think I have the edge, while Orr is certainly the best guy in either group, my top 3 as a u it are superior and our bottom 3 are at least equivalent to their counterparts.

Goaltending wise, hard to compare, but Tretiak is widely considered better so should provide the edge. However Parent is clutch, so likely won’t sink your team.

Overall, I think because my team is so uniquely unable to have our centers cover Orr it will be closer than it should be. But the strength of our D groupings and the physicality of our forwards will wear on Bobby through the course of the series and eventually deliver Kelowna a first round victory.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Scrappylilnobody's last post was the Holtby selection over three weeks ago- and this would normally be the time when we'd consider a reach-out to see if things are okay in nobodyland...

It's interesting to consider the scraps position through eight draft picks:
1. Orr at selection 6 (strike up The Who's 'Bargain').
2. Sakic at selection 19.
3. Sweeney Schriner at selection 30 (the moment where I said "uh-oh, this one came to get down.")
4. Shea Weber at selection 43.
5. St Louis at selection 54.
6. Tim Horton at selection 67.
7. Tommy Phillips at selection 78.
8. Marcel Dionne at selection 91.

Now, I'm not sure the cue-tip had all the chalk it should have had with the round-4 selection... but that aside, this is quite a sound position right now, no? First line's in-the-books, Second line's almost done- and the Montreal- Detroit- Chicago- USSR- Philadelphia and Rangers cards are still in-hand.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Schriner - Sakic - St Louis
Phillips - Dionne - Geoffrion
Draisatil - Hawerchuk - Balderis
Perry - Toews - Dillon (?) there are only 3 LW on the roster

Similar problem exists on D

Orr, Horton, Murphy, Weber are all RD

Quackenbush & Suter are the LD

Not even sure how you construct this roster outside of how I presented the forwards above, on D it's also a mess.

Quackenbush and Horton would make an excellent pairing. But then you're playing either Muphy or Weber on their off side to play with Orr.

Weber - Orr
Quackenbush - Horton
Suter - Murphy

I guess?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I wasn't going to post this until after the voting, but since you already started, I'll do it now...I took a little time to make up a line up out of the players scrappy drafted:

Phillips – Dionne - Geoffrion
Schriner – Sakic (C) - Perry
Dillon - Toews (A) - St. Louis
Draisaitl – Hawerchuk - Balderis

Horton - Orr
Quackenbush – Weber (A)
G. Suter - Murphy

Parent
Holtby

I have faded memories of reading that Horton moved to LD against the Wings so he could match up against Gordie Howe, so that's why I chose him to move over. Would appreciate if someone can confirm I'm remembering this correctly.

Dillon seems like the guy who would be the least negatively affected by having to play his wrong side wing, but of course you do still lose something.

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Adding special teams...

PP1
Dionne - Sakic - Perry
Geoffrion - Orr

PP2
Schriner - Hawerchuk - St. Louis
Weber - Suter

PK1
Toews - Dillon
Horton - Orr

PK2
Phillips - Sakic
Quackenbush - Weber

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Adding special teams...

PP1
Dionne - Sakic - Perry
Geoffrion - Orr

PP2
Schriner - Hawerchuk - St. Louis
Weber - Suter

PK1
Toews - Dillon
Horton - Orr

PK2
Phillips - Sakic
Quackenbush - Weber

next to those other four guys i feel like perry is a huge eyesore on that PP1. if you need a front of the net guy, maybe schriner should be on that unit and move dionne to RW? or would balderis work there? he was a big guy with good hands right?

even in his best years, perry was primarily an elite ES goal scorer and just good on the PP.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I wasn't going to post this until after the voting, but since you already started, I'll do it now...I took a little time to make up a line up out of the players scrappy drafted:

Phillips – Dionne - Geoffrion
Schriner – Sakic (C) - Perry
Dillon - Toews (A) - St. Louis
Draisaitl – Hawerchuk - Balderis

Horton - Orr
Quackenbush – Weber (A)
G. Suter - Murphy

Parent
Holtby

I have faded memories of reading that Horton moved to LD against the Wings so he could match up against Gordie Howe, so that's why I chose him to move over. Would appreciate if someone can confirm I'm remembering this correctly.

Dillon seems like the guy who would be the least negatively affected by having to play his wrong side wing, but of course you do still lose something.

If it happened, it would have to be in the two seasons after Stanley left Toronto and Horton was still there, right?

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Voting result:

Kelowna Rockets vs Unnamed Team 4-1
1st star Denis Potvin, 2nd star Bobby Orr, 3rd star Phil Esposito

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad