OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
You, for whatever reason, felt the need to bring up Art Ross and the fact that I chose Lester Patrick over him. I simply made my point that they are two different defensemen and I that preferred Patrick for my bottom pairing and 2nd PP unit. And I never said Patrick was 100 ATD slots superior to Ross. I simply stated a fact. That’s how it played out in the ATD.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Lester Patrick always goes way before Art Ross in the ATD.

And I've said before that I don't know if I see a difference between them. (That's different than saying Ross is better, though).

The big difference is that we have All-Star Teams for the PCHA and not the NHA.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'll pick a tough guy who was an excellent even strength scorer:

Gary Roberts, LW (Calgary)

1K8Uh.jpg

Scoring 46 adjusted even strength points per 82 games averaged over his long career is no joke.

Reactions: Habsfan18

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Going to finish up the bottom pair with a 2 time AS. He's blossomed into a very strong offensive player (213 points in 231 games last 3 seasons which tops the entire league) and I was surprised to see how good he was at shot blocking. Big PK usage as well. Strong Cup run a few years ago. Will be interested to see how he fares the next few seasons.

John Carlson, D, Washington

carlson-infinitely-punches.gif

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Going to finish up the bottom pair with a 2 time AS. He's blossomed into a very strong offensive player (213 points in 231 games last 3 seasons which tops the entire league) and I was surprised to see how good he was at shot blocking. Big PK usage as well. Strong Cup run a few years ago. Will be interested to see how he fares the next few seasons.

John Carlson, D, Washington

carlson-infinitely-punches.gif

Almost picked him up but didn't need any help on my special units so went with Giordano.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Interesting read below. I was leaning towards Richard for the C, but now I’m torn between him and Vasiliev...

Valeri Vasiliev: They Were Independent Thinkers, Unafraid to Dissent

In the winter of 1980, as a Soviet-built passenger plane flies over the Atlantic, the 20 members of the Red Army hockey team slumped in their seats. They had just lost to the Americans in a legendary Olympic upset that was soon called the “Miracle on Ice”.

The Soviet coach Viktor Tikhonov, had told his players not to point fingers. The story they would tell in Moscow is that they had lost as a team. On the plane however, Tikhonov huddled privately with each of his assistants and began ripping individual players for their failures.

Valeri Vasiliev, a veteran defenseman, overheard this critique. He flew into a rage. He rushed to the coach, grabbed him by the neck and threatened to throw him off the plane if he didn’t take it back.

Vasiliev wasn’t punished for the outburst and returned to practice with the rest of the team. He didn’t hold a grudge and never mentioned the incident publicly. Several months later when he was elected captain by his teammates, Tikhonov and the Kremlin let the decision stand.

With Vasiliev as captain the Soviet team became unstoppable. They posted a record of 94-4-9 in international competitions over the next four years and won three World Championships and an Olympic title.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
not sure how i'm going to arrange my fourth line of goring between pavelski and lemieux on whichever side (both are RHS)

pavelski was awesome when he centered clowe and seto and led that thornton sj core to their first final four

he was awesome when he was LW with thornton and burns and broke out as an elite scorer

and he was still awesome when he was RW with thornton and hertl

at the same time, claude lemieux won a conn smythe on the LW bouncing between broten/richer and carpenter/maclean

but he also had two of his highest scoring regular seasons on the RW with zelepukin/stastny and kamensky/forsberg

i think ultimately it doesn't really matter which side either guy plays except that i always want lemieux lining up across from whichever opposing winger is more difficult to contain

love the versatility for matchups, for ex, having pavelski to spell goring for defensive zone draws on the right side

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Montreal picks up back-up goalie Roy Worters, G (NYA)

Worters should help out Benedict during the regular season as a strong back-up.

000012543.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If I hadn't gotten Holecek, I would have picked Shrimp Worters.

Nice one.

Backups win/lose you about 25-30% of the regular season if you don't have a Glenn Hall or Martin Brodeur.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Lester Patrick always goes way before Art Ross in the ATD.

And I've said before that I don't know if I see a difference between them. (That's different than saying Ross is better, though).

The big difference is that we have All-Star Teams for the PCHA and not the NHA.

I'm going to guess the ranking in the HOH project is partially a driving factor with that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad