OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I was leaning towards those 3 as well, but who gets the C?

I'd wager Richard. Highly respected and took over for Beliveau winning a Cup with the C in 1973.

But you could argue Vasiliev as well given his tenure with the Soviet National Team.

I think, in this case, the best player of the bunch should wear the C, which is Richard.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The combo of Hull & Makarov already kinda makes me feel that way
Exactly.

The highlight videos I have watched of Henri Richard show a puck-carrying rusher, a guy who tries to make the play happen himself.

The best LWer of all time was a puck hog; Makarov was a dancing, responsible passer (the Soviet pass first mentality). The duo need a rich man's Fedorov to complete the skillset. A lightning fast, defensively-excellent, faceoff-winning selfless corner man. Fortunately, there is a great one certainly available on the deepest franchise in hockey history. You can never go wrong planning on a Montreal guy in an OPPF on the last pick.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In related news:

IE will draft one of the two top-100ish awesome Detroit dmen available; I'll draft one of the three awesome Detroit centers available.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
In related news:

IE will draft one of the two top-100ish awesome Detroit dmen available; I'll draft one of the three awesome Detroit centers available.

Yeah, i figured it's been pretty obvious since I held onto Detroit for so long. They have numerous #3/4 types (in a 12 team league) available on the blueline. With a varying array of skills.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Only 1 other team can pick this guy, but he seems just like the kind of guy vadim would select, so I'll take him now to complete my third line:

Brian Propp, LW (PHI)

Considered him over Barber earlier. I used to mix them up often.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Henri captained a Stanley Cup championship during his 4-year tenure. He has over 10 years of experience as captain or alternate captain. He has eleven friggin' Stanley Cups.

The 'C' should obviously be on his jersey.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Checking in from Auxiliary Control-

Currently consulting with Chief Illiniwek--

and Gritty-

who is hosting this internet connection.

[Sworn to secrecy- not permitted to post Lair-pictures...]

Anywho... they agree that it's a good idea to get a couple of band-mates back together---->

Cherry Hill selects
Glen Sather- coach.

Now- everybody TAKE YOUR TIME with the next few picks. I'm told that the Hairy Guy does bad things to people who interrupt him too much(!) :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
actually @TheDevilMadeMe i am taking a flyer this turn

as my coach, simultaneously an acolyte of anatoli tarasov and the beautiful game, and purveyor of needlessly violent don cherry-style rock 'em sock 'em hockey,

two time stanley cup winner fred shero

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Some guy named "vadim sharifijanov" just called me, .... "lenin".

Yet, my father was on the streets of Budapest in 1956 when the Russians marched in to restore Soviet control. My dad escaped to England and 6 months later, Canada.

Lenin. No way.

EVERY single time my dad went to take a piss he said he was going " to send a message to the Russian premier".

My appreciation for my picks: Makarov and Tarasov is IN SPITE OF my familial inclination. I have no love for anything Soviet or Nazi or Imperial Japanese. If I was alive in the 1930s and 1940s I would have zero doubt who are the good guys or the bad guys.

Today? Please do not put a gun in my hand. I am not clear who the enemy is these days.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Looking back at that chart, I wonder if taking Lehtinen (and I guess Sawchuk too) when I did significantly lowered my score. Because looking at that score on the surface it makes my roster sound awful compared to the rest - yet it has Gretzky, Shore, Lafleur, Sawchuk, Kharlamov, Niedermayer, Apps, Gerard and Patrick. Some pretty damn big names. Oh well, I still like how my roster has taken shape so I’ll try not to take too much stock in that.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Winterhawks select Jiri Holecek, a.k.a. "The Magician", arguably the greatest goalie of the 1970's, five times named the best goalie of the world championships, three times backstopping a gold-medal Czechoslovakian team over the mighty Soviets. Yeah, he also won medals in the 1972 and 1976 Olympics, recorded the first shutout in Canada Cup history in 1976 and was chosen the best player in Czechoslovakian hockey in 1974 during the height of talent there.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Winterhawks select as its 12th forward an ideal 4th line grinder in a plugging-style 400-goal Shane Doan, who led his NHL team in scoring every season from 2003 to 2011 and captained his team for 14 years. The 6'1 tall 220 lbs. right winger has relentless work ethic on every shift.

Shane_Doan_Retirement.jpg

... Doan's physicality and effective approach to defence see him on a checking line that will still be dangerous offensively. He is a fast and strong forward capable of digging in the corners and making smart decisions.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
okay, a perfect utility forward: dude can play all three fwd positions

three year peak where he was top five in goals each year, peaking at third and second team all-star lw

2, 2, and 8 in pp goals

8, 17, and 6 in pts

1 and 2 in playoff goals

1,000 games, almost 800 pts, 160 playoff games, 60 goals, 120 pts

scrappy, very good on the forecheck, very good on the backcheck, opportunistic scorer, elite hands in tight, clutch af, killer faceoff man, captain, hockey iq through the roof

from san jose, lw, c, rw, joe “big joe” pavelski

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
The competitor destined to be the smallest Knight (of Kní) on our roster may be counted on to play with commitment and energy- just as he did in the hardscrabble early-depression years.

from The Maroons, Cherry Hill adds RW Jimmy Ward

born September 1, in The Year of The Horse-
this- (among many more other things)...
he has in common with Papa ChiTownPhilly, of happy memory.

PM to @TheDevilMadeMe

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
okay, a perfect utility forward: dude can play all three fwd positions

three year peak where he was top five in goals each year, peaking at third and second team all-star lw

2, 2, and 8 in pp goals

8, 17, and 6 in pts

1 and 2 in playoff goals

1,000 games, almost 800 pts, 160 playoff games, 60 goals, 120 pts

scrappy, very good on the forecheck, very good on the backcheck, opportunistic scorer, elite hands in tight, clutch af, killer faceoff man, captain, hockey iq through the roof

from san jose, lw, c, rw, joe “big joe” pavelski

One of the more underrated players of the past decade. Just a strong all around hockey player. Big fan of his.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
PAVS!

RW/C

As a longtime Sharks fan, I love his shot, positioning and work ethic.

His wheels are below average, so quicksand in an ATD context, but as long as his linemates can harness the lightning, he can bring the thunder!

He really is a right winger. Juniors. Most of San Jose years. National team. Right winger.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Wbo was the last to draft a Boston Bruin?

Everyone has. So the last guy pissed away his chance to improve at least three other positions.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Different type of defensemen. I wanted a Lester Patrick type more for my bottom pairing. And I needed another PP d-man for that second wave so it made sense for me.

Also, as to your point on the Bruins: I noticed awhile back that I’m the only one who hasn’t selected a Ranger yet. I already know who I’m picking but it can obviously wait until my last pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad