OPPF 2020 - Assassination Thread

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
remq0bkI_400x400.png

Coach: Tommy Ivan

Alex Delvecchio --- Phil Esposito (A) --- Hooley Smith
Paul Thompson --- Evgeni Malkin --- Bill Cook (A)
Busher Jackson --- Eric Lindros --- Frank Foyston
John Madden --- Dale Hunter --- Jason Pominville

Denis Potvin (C) --- Al MacInnis
Larry Robinson --- Erik Karlsson
Ryan Suter --- Alex Pietrangelo

Vladislav Tretiak
Grant Fuhr

PP1: Cook - Esposito - Malkin - Karlsson - MacInnis
PP2: Delvecchio - Lindros - Jackson - Potvin - Robinson
PK1: Smith - Madden - Potvin - Robinson
PK2: Delvecchio - Pominville - Suter - MacInnis

that blueline is magnificent. when alex pietrangelo is your "weak link," or when macinnis and karlsson are being "carried" on their pairings, that says it all. i also appreciate that each pairing is a LHS paired with a RHS.

up front, i get what you're doing with the first line, flanking espo with two dirty work guys, but talent and value-wise, i don't know that espo, as great as he was, can really carry two B+ talents against the other teams' first lines. i think half the teams have multiple art ross winners on their top lines, and the ones that don't have gretzky/kharlamov, mario/bossy, and, to a lesser degree, iginla/messier and crosby/kurri.

that said, i don't know that your second line isn't your true first line. as a second line, it's outstanding.

and another part of me wants to waste cook on your third line to kill everyone with lindros and jackson, but that's almost certainly overkill. that third line is a good one, though i don't know how good foyston is. lindros is fine, jackson is not good.

your fourth line, well i guess you have to skimp somewhere. i respect hunter but as a shutdown center he's fairly weak. did he ever play wing? as a tough indefatiguable forechecker i wonder if you'd do better putting madden and his two selkes and all the cups in the middle. i don't think pominville really does anything at this level.

not much to say about the goalies. both good goalies.

on the PP, i'd swap potvin and karlsson so you have a LHS and RHS on each unit's blueline. that first unit is phenomenal. three multi-ross winners up front and (with potvin) 200 points on the blueline.

overall a good team and not one i'd want to face. i'm sensing the identity is big, hard to play against, aggressive. i think defensively the forwards can be exploited (as evidenced by having to resort to pominville as the fourth PK forward), but then there's that blueline...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
8c6cd14f032a55acb69bf859482178ab.gif

fred shero

bergeron trottier (c) bathgate
firsov yzerman (a) kucherov
anderson stewart tocchet
lemieux goring pavelski

boucher pronger
langway (a) pilote
ramsey cameron

roy
giguere

pp1
stewart yzerman kucherov
pilote bathgate

pp2
pavelski trottier anderson
firsov cameron

pk1
bergeron firsov
langway pronger

pk2
goring anderson
ramsey pilote

pk spares
if a second faceoff ace is needed trottier (LHS for pk1), yzerman (RHS for pk2), also lemieux in the rotation and boucher as the extra guy on d​

1st line: I tried playing Bergeron on the wing in the last ATD, reuniting the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line, and got burned for it. I'm more tolerant to such moves especially when IRL chemistry is the goal, but it's risky business. As it is I think this line is a bit ackward. Is Bathgate a sniper? I always saw him as a playmaker, but TDMM brought up a good point to me that his assist numbers might be because he played the point on the PP. As of now, I don't see Bathgate as a Bossy-like player, but am opened to be proven wrong. With Trottier, I'd have preferred a Bossy-like player. It's also unclear how much you really needed Bergeron at all on this team.

2nd line: Great line offensively and defensively, but unless I'm misreading Firsov, it does seem on the soft side. Was Firsov physical? Yzerman can score goals and capitalize on Kucherov's playmaking, but I'd have preferred a Shanahan-like LWer to complement them. Is Firsov that guy? How do you see this line?

I like the Trottier-Yzerman combo inside the Top 6, LHS/RHS too, both heart-and-soul talented two-way centers with tons of playoff success.

3rd line: With Trottier-Yzerman in the Top 6, you could afford a more risky 3rd line center, and Nels Stewart is that guy. Anderson and Tocchet are great "banging" wingers wh ocan crash the net and play a gritty game, and Stewart is great around the net, but I question the defense of that line a little bit. Stewart used to play with Hooley Smith who was an all-time great defensive player. Anyone they should be tough to play against, especially for small-ish defensive pairings.

4th line: Great classic 4th line.

1st pairing: You have a 1A/1B type of arrangement between your 1st and 2nd pairing, with the level being close. I think your 2nd pairing is a bit better. Anyway your 1st pairing is original but can work. Boucher was a master stickhandler, one of the greatest ever at this, but he also had a physical/pesty game as well as being solid defensively. Pronger had a classic first-pass. Boucher proved he could play with any type of defenseman, as he excelled wit hGerard, Hitchman, Clancy and sometimes Cleghorn, and Pronger is a bit Cleghorn-like.

2nd pairing: More standard in form, D-O complementarity (though Pilote was also good defensively), it's a real solid 2nd pairing (arguably your 1st). Basically I see Pilote and Pronger as borderline #1D types in this draft, and Langway a #2,; Boucher a #3.

3rd pairing: Harry Cameron is a favorite of mine, and I still wish to research him more in depth. He could be severely underrated. A Coffey-like offensive force from the blueline, with the playoff success to match. Ramsay is good as a defensive anchor to support him.

Goalies: Roy is the greatest of all-time. Giguère is OK nothing more, would have preferred a more steady regular season goalie maybe, but who cares. You have Roy so you always have the best goalie.

PP: Sad not to see Trottier on the 1st unit, I'd put him there over Kucherov 10 times out of 10, though I understand you want to avoid putting your Top 3 centers on the same unit. I wonder who is the best PPQB between Pilote and Harry Cameron. Bathgate is fine there. The 2nd unit has Trottier and Cameron, which is great, but not a fan of Pavelski and Anderson in there; but then again, you might not have anything better.

PK: I might try to put Trottier in there somewhere, maybe on the 2nd unit, because with him being only on the 2nd PP unit, i feel he is underused as your #1 center. Your 1st unit is very strong, especially considering Roy in net too.

I think Fred Shero was a decent choice for this squad.

As I told you, I think Yzerman should be your C, but you already responded to that.

Overall it's a good team, with some choices that are more questionable, like the way you constructed your 1st line, the usage of Trottier, and the Bottom-6 wingers when taken as a whole are quite weak. Strenght is the Trottier-Yzerman combo, Roy in net and the blueline being solid on all pairings (if unspectacular).

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Renewing the tradition, the polyhedron-of-fate will determine the first team I review. I've shaken-it-up, rolled it out- and it landed on...
MONTREAL MAROONS!

Coach:

Joel Quenneville

Forwards:
Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby (C) - Jari Kurri
Cy Denneny - Bobby Clarke (A) - Vladimir Martinec
Joe Malone - Ted Kennedy (A) - Alexander Maltsev
Craig Ramsay - Mike Modano - Theo Fleury

Defensemen:
Brian Leetch - Chris Chelios
Jack Stewart - Rob Blake
John Carlson - Dan Boyle

Goalies:
Jacques Plante
Billy Smith

Special Teams:
PP 1:
Kurri (shoot/pass) - Crosby (the office) - Denneny (shoot)
Blake (trigger) - Leetch (QB)

PP2:
Maltsev - Malone/Modano/Clarke (will rotate) - Martinec
Carlson (trigger) - Boyle (QB)

PK 1:
Ramsay - Clarke
Stewart - Chelios

PK 2:
Martinec - Kennedy
Carlson - Blake

Spare PK'ers
Fleury
Marchand
Modano
Kurri
Which should be interesting. I've never done a complete work-up of an IE team yet- and I know that no-one Mr. Vandelay selects will ever lack for spirited advocacy. So (knowing full-well the vortex into which we're about to enter) we begin:

Line 1: Loved the selection of Crosby at #7 overall. If Crosby had been available at #10 overall (when I picked), I would have risked a Dissociative Personality Disorder event. One of the 'meta-game' concepts I've seen come into play is when GMs select a player- and then suddenly he/she starts loving them in a way completely contradicted by the GM's previous statements. No worries here. Crosby couldn't ask for a more forthright advocate- and (in the eyes of the preponderance of the panelists) you've landed the upper-half #1 Center that so many teams covet. Kurri should work great with him. And then we get Brad Marchand. All right- let me look at everyone else's #1 LWs. I see one guy playing LW as a sub-optimal position, another who's [probably rightfully] a non-Hall-of-Famer... and those are the only two guys I think I'd rather NOT have in this position than Marchand.

Line 2: Starting to warm to the Denneny-Clarke combination. Not sure the deal's completely sealed. Clarke (and Marchand) could stand a bodyguard or two- are we selling Denneny in that role? At any rate, Clarke was an elite distributor until the very end, and Denneny's primary skill is finishing. I can see why people like the fit. Martinec (like virtually all non-NHL Euros) is better than most think he is- which makes this line really a 1a rather than a '2.' [But that's also partially due to Marchand being on line 1.]

Line 3: The one where Teeder Kennedy tries to do his Newsy Lalonde imitation. Joe Malone, as a player, is wonderful as a shifty Center who finds seams in the opposition Defenses, materializes in scoring positions, and delivers scoring chances from unanticipated locations. he's ideally served by playmaking Wingers. One could also use 'best-passing-defenseman-ever' Bobby Orr to hook-him-up that way. Alternatively, he can serve well as a Winger when mated to a big-or-plays-big Center like Lalonde, or Messier, or maybe a Lindros-type that just makes room for him with sheer presence and skill. I like Kennedy (moreso once The Playoffs start- but that's not material to now). I like Kennedy-Maltsev. Malone-Kennedy-Maltsev seems a Strange Brew of flavors... but then, some people like Forgotten Boardwalk Lady #8 Ale, too.

Line 4: (checks notes, again) going for the "energy-line" model and (imo) nailing it. Contender for best #4 line in the entire league. Ramsay with the defensive conscience, Modano with the two-way play that 'Q' will make sure happens, and Fleury buzz-bombing all over the ice. Nice one.

Defense Pairing 1: Congratulations- you were correct in concluding that you were fully worthy of the second "F***-Me-Award" when selecting Chelios at slot 56. If available, he would have surely been mine at #58. (Seibert was my 'consolation-prize.') [For the record, the first "F***-Me-Award" goes to @scrappylilnobody , who cannily snapped up Sweeny Schriner at pick #30. Oh, the cards I would have been able to hold onto if I'd gotten Schriner at #34!] All right- enough draft post-mortem- how about the pairing? Well, Chelios is as great as we think he is. Leetch is better than we think he is- AND (to my mind), you've optimized Leetch use by limiting his Special Teams use to PP-1, ONLY. Great work! I've said it before- you get more out of Leetch when you DON'T over-work him! It's a 12-team league- nobody has a 'bad' first defensive pairing... but I feel confident that this one is top-3.

Defense Pairing 2: Just going for full rugged with Black Jack Stewart & Rob Blake. Makes sense as part of a 2nd Unit with the Clarke line. Also, maybe this is where Clarke gets his bodyguard-detachment. [If so, where does Marchand get his, though?!] Objectively better (and worse) 2nd pairings can be found- but this one fits the team.

Defense Pairing 3: John Carlson was (imo) fantastic value where you drafted him. Still, I feel like this pairing is a visit to The Old Curiosity Shop, as you have two RHS defensemen, with Carlson playing the left side. Having one of those "I'll-hang-up-and-listen" moments. Outré on its face...

Goaltending: Plante automatically gives a team podium-level goaltending. Smith will be relevant in back-to-backs or if Plante is dinged up.

Leadership: A strength. Interesting that all the letters are with the Forwards. Maybe flip a letter over to a blue-liner? Yeah, I know all the guys with letters had big portions of their careers as Captains. [Believe me, I know.] Still, no letters on Defense? Not sure I've ever seen that in ATD...

Coaching: Quenneville's a good coach for Veteran leader-types, and on your team, you got a lot of that. The one thing I'm concerned about is that 'Q' favors structure and discipline- so I wonder how he'll react to the show brought by Clarke, Marchand, and T. Fleury. I suspect that in the case of Clarke, he'll forgive all. [He's very forgiving of Veterans.] Marchand & Fleury- harder to say. [Particularly if Marchand makes a visit to the OPPF Committee on Player Safety and drops some games.]

Special Teams: No-one can ever say that an IE team has anything other than a clear vision for what's being sought out of Special Teams(!) PP-1 personnel And configuration look really scary. They do look SO good that PP-2 is (even at-a-glance) a clear step down. Suppose that's at least a comment on the strength of '1' as any reflection on '2.' More good news is that PK-1 features two all-time elite-in-role skaters... Clarke & Chelios. Not so good news is-- on a team that has Marchand, Rob Blake, Black Jack Stewart, Theo Fleury- and even Chelios himself, elite Penalty Killers will be called upon...

In summation, even though it looks like we're going with an "everybody-in" playoff-structure, if we were going with 8, I think your seat at that table should be secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImporterExporter

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Many thanks for the review of my team, Bench. I'll return the favor for you now:

Line 1: No shortage of goal scoring here, Lemieux and Bossy probably lay claim as 2 of the top goal scorers in hockey history. Abel had 8 top 10 finish in assists for a season so he should be a good fit for this line. Injury concerns may plague this line a little bit but other than that it's a solid 1st line.

Line 2: Beliveau's one of my favorite players ever and my choice as #5 all time in NHL history, great guy to build around and to have on your 2nd line as well. I'm not overly familiar on Baldy Northcott. Patrick Kane though can lay claim as one of the best Blackhawk players ever. For a modern player and a original six team that's pretty good. Solid 2nd line.

Line 3; Wasn't aware Mikhailov was a defensive player, always thought of him as an offensive player. Dave Keon is going to be one of the better #3 centers in this for sure. Zach Parise is a good lunch pail player, so overall a solid 3rd line here.

Line 4: You know your centre group is good when you have Peter Stastny as your 4th line center. As I've found out since I joined these drafts he was a serviceable defensive player as well as being good offensively. So he's not out of place on a bottom 6 line. Bill Barber is a good glue guy as well, Bertuzzi offers physicality so a good 4th line.

Defense Pairing 1: If you could come up with a better partner for Coffey than Chara then I haven't seen it. These guys should work well together. Coffey's offensive game will be able to shine here as Chara will look after the defensive/physical responsibilities. Good 1st pairing.

Defense Pairing 2: Cleghorn is one of the top physical defensemen ever so him and Chara on your top 2 pairings will make sure your defense is physical. Coulter will be a defensive cog for the pairing.

Defense Pairing 3: Giodrano and Hatcher are modern guys who won't hurt you. I always thought Hatcher to be more of an offensive guy but since I joined these boards I've discovered he had a 2 way game so he's a good #6 here.

Goalies: I've had both in the ATD. Worters might be the best New York American of all time while Clint Benedict is in that line outside the big 7 goalies so overall a good tandem.

Coach: Lester Patrick is a very good coach, I think he'll like this team.

Special Teams: Nothing overly to talk about here other than I'd like Hatcher on one of your PP units.

Final Thoughts: A very good team as always, Bench. I think switching Beliveau for Lemieux in your top 6 would make sense but other than that this is a good team, good work as always.

I didn't have a lot of time yesterday to respond to some of your interrogations, but I do now, so here goes:

Baldy Northcott: One of the rare wingers to possess both elite physicality and elite defensive skills (was voted best backchecker in the league). His offense isn't impressive at this level, but as opposed to guys like Bob Gainey or Craig Ramsay, he was a legit 1st liner in his career. He won the Stanley Cup with the Montreal Maroons in 1935, finishing as the goalscoring leader in the playoffs with 4 goals in 7 games. Northcott was a big and strong guy, being 6 ft tall and 185 lbs when this meant something in the 1930's (probably equivalent to 6 ft 4 230lbs or something in that range today).

Boris Mikhailov: Not a defensive player, though defensively responsible. More of a gritty, puck-winning elite corner offensive player with leadership. However I found out he was a very strong PKer via Batis' research. In his research he even included videos where you see Mikhailov defending against the 1970's Montreal dynasty on a 5-on-3, very successfully so (just an anecdote but cool to see, but Batis' research also includes a complete survey).

Last edited:
Reactions: tony d

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
San Jose Rubber Puckies

10556267_1090779030953983_6049514389326638206_n.jpg

Coach: Scotty Bowman

Ted Lindsay (A) - Howie Morenz - Jaromir Jagr
Vladimir Krutov - Stan Mikita - Vaclav Nedomansky
Brian Propp - Anze Kopitar - Daniel Alfredsson (A)
Gary Roberts - Vincent LeCavalier - Blake Wheeler

Borje Salming - Brad Park
Moose Johnson - Dit Clapper (C)
Derian Hatcher - Sergei Gonchar

Martin Brodeur
Mike Liut

PP1: Ted Lindsay - Howie Morenz - Jaromir Jagr - Daniel Alfredsson - Sergei Gonchar
PP2: Vladimir Krutov - Stan Mikita - Vaclav Nedomansky - Dit Clapper - Brad Park
PK1: Anze Kopitar - Brian Propp - Moose Johnson - Derian Hatcher
PK2: Howie Morenz - Vladimir Krutov - Borje Salming - Dit Clapper
Spare PK: Stan Mikita - Daniel Alfredsson, Brad Park
I currently have Alfredsson penciled in over Park on the point of PP1, because I like having both LH and RH shots on the points of both PP units. Does anyone think I should swap Park back up to PP1? FWIW, according to @overpass 's spreadsheet, Alfredsson averaged 28 adjusted PPP per season, Park 27 adjusted PPP per season, though I'm not sure how much of Alfredsson's was at forward.

I was in a hurry yesterday when doing my assassinations, so I'll add a few things, since I realize I forgot to do your special units:

PP1: Great forwards (with the added benefit of not having to mix up your lines), and Gonchar is solid there. Alfredsson is OK but not great on a 1st unit at this level.
PP2: Love Nedomansky there, and again you don't need to change your lines (though having Bowman, I'd trust him anyway). I would personally put Clapper over Alfredsson on the 1st unit, because he had a great shot IIRC. I don't take the stats from the 1930's too seriously, and prefer to go with skillset. Mikita and Krutov are solid.

PK1: Strong but not elite forwards (was Kopitar an even better PKer than you'd expect for a generic perennial Selke contender?), elite defensemen.
PK2: Good duo with offensive threat from Morenz' speed. Clapper has the attributes of an elite PKer so he's at least solid there. Salming is OK.

Maybe I did underrated the 2nd line a little bit yesterday. It's so hard to pinpoint Krutov's value, and I always struggled to figure out exactly how to build a line around Stan Mikita. Worse, I'm not overly familiar with Nedomansky, other than seeing him as a strong net presence. Krutov-Mikita is probably better than it looked at first glance.

One other nice thign about Lecavalier-Wheeler is that Vinny was actually a great goalscorer, regardless of stats. He had one of the greatest one-timer in the world for a while too (he was one of my answer in a recent thread about great Left-handed one-timers, which are disproportionately rare; he was one of them for sure).

Your Top 4 on defense is growing on me, mostly because I think Clapper is underrated as a player. His defensive peak, as great as it was, could be overrated, but his entire career is underrated.

BTW, I'd give an "A" to Derian over Alfredsson.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
@BenchBrawl thanks for all the nice things you said about my team, and f*** you for all the negative.

Don't have a ton of time to respond in detail other than I think some of the Kovy criticism is overstated. He played with guys like Savard who carried the puck a lot, so I don't think he should have problems with Forsberg. He can play the role of trigger man well, although you may have a point in dropping him to the third just to spread the scoring and take advantage of Gilmour more.

I was really thinking about how he would fit on pp2. Hedman has a lot of experience feeding that RH one timer, and Kovy was the best guy available (especially considering franchise) that could take that role, so I'm not super married to his ES line.

Maybe. Kovalchuk is not the headcase he is sometimes portrayed to be. I think he's a legitimate team player, willing to put water in his wine too in terms of defensive responsabilities. Furthermore, Kovalchuk is a clutch player; moreso than Ovechkin. I'm sure people from Russia would agree with me (but it'd be interesting to ask them).

So I don't want to shit on Kovalchuk too much. But man, I don't think Marc Savard is a puck-possession player to the extent that Peter Forsberg was. Playmaker sure, but Forsberg loved to stickhandle in traffic and keep contro lof the puck all the time circling in the offensive zone. True that Kovalchuk can play the trigger man once the offensive shift is established, but my questioning was more in transition. Kovalchuk reaaaally loves to transition the puck, but he also loves to try to complete the play himself.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, @BenchBrawl.

Although I do like my team, I know I could do better. This was my first OPPF draft, and one that I agreed to join at the last minute. I wasn’t nearly as prepared and “in the game” as I usually am. Got a lot going on right now, but I love drafting, so I thought what the hell.

But your concerns about the lack of physicality and defensive play in the top 6 are totally valid. I loved the idea of a super-duo in Gretzky and Kharlamov, so I jumped at that chance. But then, as others have stated, it really did limit the options that were available to me to complete the trio. Lehtinen was my best option for a defensive winger, so I went with it. But looking back, I probably should have went for someone other than Kharlamov as it would have given me the chance to create a more “complete” line. That being said, I still think Gretzky and Kharlamov CAN create magic together. They will score, a lot.

Apps and Lafleur were guys that I just couldn’t pass up on. After the Gretzky-Kharlamov duo, I figured what the hell and basically went all-in on a soft, but offensively dangerous attack. We will give up our fair share of goals. But we will score a lot as well. Basically I cornered myself into going all-offense there.

Niedermayer I think is underrated defensively on here. Is he the perfect partner for Suchy? Probably not, but I think they’re fine together. They’ll help drive offense as well together as a pairing. And both are competent defensively.

But yeah, I get the concerns. This team will live or die on their ability to create offense. And I think that top 6 will create a lot of it. Gretzky-Kharlamov & Apps-Lafleur are two duo’s that will be VERY hard to contain on the attack.

Hey, don't worry pal, we all make mistakes, myself first (I'm an hopeless gambler in these things, and risk means huge mistakes from time to time).

You sure have a lot of firepower in your Top 6. They might not be worth much defensively or physically, but I'd still pay 200$ to watch them play if nothing else haha.

Niedermayer is solid defensively sure, but still, he was such a great skater that him and Suchy feel ackward. Not catastrophic, just stylistically bizarre.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Thank you for the assassination. Appreciate the feedback, encouraging words, and reservations- which I find to be pretty legitimate.

To address a couple of questions- ultimately, the decisions concerning minutes played, Special Teams configurations etc will wind up being not "what would ChiTownPhilly do?" but WWSD ("what would Slats do?").To crib advice I passed on to another participant a while back, it's my intention to be more Robert Kraft and less Jerry Jones(!)

Speaking of Sather- the reason I picked him is but partially on account of his offensive mentality-- I also chose him because of the 'known-quantity' relationship with Messier, plus the fact that Cherry Hill is suffused with self-motivated character & leader types who would (in Horse Racing parlance) respond to a 'hand-ride.' My 'plan-B' was Cecil Hart.

Finally, your mention of Fredrickson being promoted to the 3rd line is something that I contemplated a while back. If I did that, I would be left with the Parlor-Trick-Like all RHS 4th line of Giroux-Brent Sutter-J. Ward. Now, I don't summarily reject iconoclastic ideas... but that one seemed a little out-there.

Again, appreciate the input from the GM of one of the Teams that's a clear and present concern. I might discuss in detail later, depending upon how the polyhedron-of-fate lands.

My pleasure. I see your point about picking up Sather, but I can't see any coaches in history not using Mark Messier more than you currently have him on your chart. Your team's fate is tied to Messier's performance and ability to lead. Not a bad horse to bet on.

Fredrickson: Then it becomes a point of whether you care more about your 3rd or 4th line. The difference in value between Brent Sutter and Frank Fredrickson is not small. Fredrickson is an underrated player who had a lot of star power in his prime; he was highly received for a 7 years stretch in which he faced Howie Morenz (the consensual 4th-5th greatest center of all-time) and beat him in the Stanley Cup Final. He was also big and fast and had a reasonable all-around game. We're very far from Brent Sutter, no disrespect intended to the guy. Basically, Fredrickson was up there at his peak in competition to be the best center in the world.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
that blueline is magnificent. when alex pietrangelo is your "weak link," or when macinnis and karlsson are being "carried" on their pairings, that says it all. i also appreciate that each pairing is a LHS paired with a RHS.

up front, i get what you're doing with the first line, flanking espo with two dirty work guys, but talent and value-wise, i don't know that espo, as great as he was, can really carry two B+ talents against the other teams' first lines. i think half the teams have multiple art ross winners on their top lines, and the ones that don't have gretzky/kharlamov, mario/bossy, and, to a lesser degree, iginla/messier and crosby/kurri.

that said, i don't know that your second line isn't your true first line. as a second line, it's outstanding.

and another part of me wants to waste cook on your third line to kill everyone with lindros and jackson, but that's almost certainly overkill. that third line is a good one, though i don't know how good foyston is. lindros is fine, jackson is not good.

your fourth line, well i guess you have to skimp somewhere. i respect hunter but as a shutdown center he's fairly weak. did he ever play wing? as a tough indefatiguable forechecker i wonder if you'd do better putting madden and his two selkes and all the cups in the middle. i don't think pominville really does anything at this level.

not much to say about the goalies. both good goalies.

on the PP, i'd swap potvin and karlsson so you have a LHS and RHS on each unit's blueline. that first unit is phenomenal. three multi-ross winners up front and (with potvin) 200 points on the blueline.

overall a good team and not one i'd want to face. i'm sensing the identity is big, hard to play against, aggressive. i think defensively the forwards can be exploited (as evidenced by having to resort to pominville as the fourth PK forward), but then there's that blueline...

I need to single out this comment, Busher Jackson isn't good?

Edit: Also yes, my top line isn't quite as talented as some of the tandems you see across the the league, but chemistry wise it's perfect which matters for Esposito

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
remq0bkI_400x400.png

Vladislav Tretiak
Grant Fuhr

My computer will be packed away after work this evening so I'll do my best to try and get some comments out during my lunch break today.

Just a self assassination comment about my team.

There is no "shutdown" line out of necessity, with a core of Esposito, Malkin & Lindros down the middle we're hoping that our centers are able to dominate play at ES and keep the other team from establishing consistent offence. To balance this lack of checking at the center position I have without a doubt the best defence in the draft each pair can handle hard minutes because of Potvin and Robinson.

The wingers prioritize physicality, we want to get the puck down low and hammer opposing defences.

The top line is a juiced up version of Esposito's real life line. Both Hooley and Delvecchio can check and Hooley is more than willing to mix it up in the corners. Both of them being playmaking focused suits Espo fine as he'll establish his position in the offensive zone and hopefully be able to power our offence.

The second line pairs Malkin with one of the best powerforwards of all time and playstyle he has meshed with in his career. Thompson is there to provide more speed and some two way acumen. This line is big and fast and will be a handful in transition and down low.

The third line has Lindros paired with a better Leclair in Busher Jackson. The two of them will prove a physical nightmare for opposing defenders. Foyston is there for additional playmaking and two way play.

The fourth line will get limited ice time at ES, they are spare parts mostly to give me more PKers which given the rest of my roster was a necessity.

@vadim sharifijanov suggested switching Potvin & Karlsson on the PP1 unit. I think I'm going to keep Karlsson on the top unit, he is an excellent QB for that unit. Malkin doesn't typically run the PP for the Pens so I need someone who can control the flow between Cook, Espo & MacInnis. Our coach can trust Karlsson to find the open man.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Renewing the tradition, the polyhedron-of-fate will determine the first team I review. I've shaken-it-up, rolled it out- and it landed on...
Which should be interesting. I've never done a complete work-up of an IE team yet- and I know that no-one Mr. Vandelay selects will ever lack for spirited advocacy. So (knowing full-well the vortex into which we're about to enter) we begin:

Line 1: Loved the selection of Crosby at #7 overall. If Crosby had been available at #10 overall (when I picked), I would have risked a Dissociative Personality Disorder event. One of the 'meta-game' concepts I've see come into play is when GMs select a player- and then suddenly he/she starts loving them in a way completely contradicted by the GM's previous statements. No worries here. Crosby couldn't ask for a more forthright advocate- and (in the eyes of the preponderance of the panelists) you've landed the upper-half #1 Center that so many teams covet. Kurri should work great with him. And then we get Brad Marchand. All right- let me look at everyone else's #1 LWs. I see one guy playing LW as a sub-optimal position, another who's [probably rightfully] a non-Hall-of-Famer... and those are the only two guys I think I'd rather NOT have in this position than Marchand.

Line 2: Starting to warm to the Denneny-Clarke combination. Not sure the deal's completely sealed. Clarke (and Marchand) could stand a bodyguard or two- are we selling Denneny in that role? At any rate, Clarke was an elite distributor until the very end, and Denneny's primary skill is finishing. I can see why people like the fit. Martinec (like virtually all non-NHL Euros) is better than most think he is- which makes this line really a 1a rather than a '2.' [But that's also partially due to Marchand being on line 1.]

Line 3: The one where Teeder Kennedy tries to do his Newsy Lalonde imitation. Joe Malone, as a player, is wonderful as a shifty Center who finds seams in the opposition Defenses, materializes in scoring positions, and deliver scoring chances from unanticipated locations. he's ideally served by playmaking Wingers. One could also use 'best-passing-defenseman-ever' Bobby Orr to hook-him-up that way. Alternatively, he can serve well as a Winger when mated to a big-or-plays-big Center like Lalonde, or Messier, or maybe a Lindros-type that just makes room for him with sheer presence and skill. I like Kennedy (moreso once The Playoffs start- but that's not material to now). I like Kennedy-Maltsev. Malone-Kennedy-Maltsev seems a Strange Brew of flavors... but then, some people like Forgotten Boardwalk Lady #8 Ale, too.

Line 4: (checks notes, again) going for the "energy-line" model and (imo) nailing it. Contender for best #4 line in the entire league. Ramsay with the defensive conscience, Modano with the two-way play that 'Q' will make sure happens, and Fleury buzz-bombing all over the ice. Nice one.

Defense Pairing 1: Congratulations- you were correct in concluding that you were fully worthy of the second "f***-Me-Award" when selecting Chelios at slot 56. If available, he would have surely been mine at #58. (Seibert was my 'consolation-prize.') [For the record, the first "f***-Me-Award" goes to @scrappylilnobody , who cannily snapped up Sweeny Schriner at pick #30. Oh, the cards I would have been able to hold onto if I'd gotten Schriner at #34!] All right- enough draft post-mortem- how about the pairing? Well, Chelios is as great as we think he is. Leetch is better than we think he is- AND (to my mind), you've optimized Leetch use by limiting his Special Teams use to PP-1, ONLY. Great work! I've said it before- you get more out of Leetch when you DON'T over-work him! It's a 12-team league- nobody has a 'bad' first defensive pairing... but I feel confident that this one is top-3.

Defense Pairing 2: Just going for full rugged with Black Jack Stewart & Rob Blake. Makes sense as part of a 2nd Unit with the Clarke line. Also, maybe this is where Clarke gets his bodyguard-detachment. [If so, where does Marchand get his, though?!] Objectively better (and worse) 2nd pairings can be found- but this one fits the team.

Defense Pairing 3: John Carlson was (imo) fantastic value where you drafted him. Still, I feel like this pairing is a visit to The Old Curiosity Shop, as you have two RHS defensemen, with Carlson playing the left side. Having one of those "I'll-hang-up-and-listen" moments. Outré on its face...

Goaltending: Plante automatically gives a team podium-level goaltending. Smith will be relevant in back-to-backs or if Plante is dinged up.

Leadership: A strength. Interesting that all the letters are with the Forwards. Maybe flip a letter over to a blue-liner? Yeah, I know all the guys with letters had big portions of their careers as Captains. [Believe me, I know.] Still, no letters on Defense? Not sure I've ever seen that in ATD...

Coaching: Queneville's a good coach for Veteran leader-types, and on your team, you got a lot of that. The one thing I'm concerned about is that 'Q' favors structure and discipline- so I wonder how he'll react to the show brought by Clarke, Marchand, and T. Fleury. I suspect that in the case of Clarke, he'll forgive all. [He's very forgiving of Veterans.] Marchand & Fleury- harder to say. [Particularly if Marchand makes a visit to the OPPF Committee on Player Safety and drops some games.]

I'll comment on Special Teams with an edit, later. That said, this is OPPF Regular-Season. I drafted with the idea that there would be an 8-team Playoff... and the first order of business is: get a seat at that table. [I'm not going balls for "Regular-Season Champion"... and I'm sure you're not, either.]

Even though it looks like we're going with an "everybody-in" playoff-structure, if we were going with 8, I think your seat at that table should be secure.

Very thorough and accurate review sir! It is much appreciated. And i nearly spit my H2O out a few times with your colorful analogies! :laugh:

Line 1.

Marchand is a bit light for a 1st line in this role. Zero doubt about it. With that being said, if he doesn't miss 14 games 17-18 we're probably looking at 4 consecutive postseason AS nods. His postseason record is sneaky good. Marchand is a strong agitator and 200 foot player. I think having someone like that next to a Crosby and Kurri is an apt decision given neither of those guys really play that style. Crosby is one of the strongest players I've ever witnessed on skates, with or without the puck, and I think most would agree with that sentiment. He's not adverse to going into the corners to battle or front of the net (in fact he has scored droves of goals from in close) but this line really needed someone who could be the same type of player Fleury is on the 4th line. Disrupting force who can be counted on to play up and down the ice with relentless energy. Marchand and Crosby's real life connection for the national team and friendship can't hurt either IMO. Having defensively apt players on both wings allows Sid to be more liberal in his play in the offensive zone, which IMO maximizes his overall talents.

Once you grabbed Bucyk from Boston, Marchand was pretty much locked in for me. I didn't want to burn Detroit on Syd Howe or Abel because Boston simply doesn't have the blue line depth like Detroit (Jack Stewart in 21st round).

Line 2:

Here is a screen grab from the 2011 Denneny bio. He was one of the best policemen of his day which sealed the deal for me pairing him with Clarke who was known for needing coverage when it came to sketchy antics. How great is the nickname "Gold Dust Twins" haha? He and Broadbent were called that in Ottawa.

I think his style (aggressive/sniper/protector) fits extremely well next to Clarke.

Also important to note that Kurri will see some time on this line to enhance defensive acumen, with Martinec (or even Maltsev) shifting up to play with Crosby. Depending on match up of course.

upload_2020-10-15_10-26-9.png

Line 3:

Malone was a pure goal scorer. Noted for scoring many in close/dirty. I think that bodes well with a C like Kennedy creating time and space down low. Obviously I think Maltsev is the engineer of the line. A puck carrier and distributor. I think Malone gets dinged a little bit being out at LW, but the best season of his career came at the position and in this reduced capacity I think taking adavantage of at least some versatility was the right decision at the time (Malone represented strong value IMO when I selected him).

Line 4:

Very happy with how that line came to be. Thanks for your sentiments sir. Got lucky with Modano falling as far as he did. Fleury isn't usually a 4th liner in any of these drafts but his style fits the requirements of a typical 3rd/4th line winger. Ramsay is a nice buffer against the many top flight RW's around the league.

Blueline:

Thank you again for the compliments on the top pairing especially. Not much to dissect from your review here. The top 4 is quite strong IMO. Balanced and check most/all the boxes you want checked. I could have went for a more traditional partner for Boyle (I considered Vlasic and Beauchemin given their stay at home roles and resume) but ultimately felt Carlson was good enough defensively (his +/-, shot blocking and PK numbers helped sell me) to have him play on the off side. Puck transition is key to this team and I had an eye towards that for this depth pairing. Both guys also fill roles well on 2nd unit special teams, especially Boyle IMO.

Goalies:

Nothing to add. Should keep me in most/every game.

Leadership:

Really hard to best a trio of Crosby, Clarke and Kennedy. They're all in my top 20 captains/leaders of all time. It does feel a bit strange not having a letter on the blue line, but then again the reputation of the 3 F's wearing the letters are sterling compared to anyone playing D. While quite rare, I think it the right call to give the 3 F's letters given who they are. Being across 3 lines, there will basically be a letter on the ice at all times which is sometime I like to see.

Thanks again for the thorough and eloquent review CTP! It was much appreciated sir.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I need to single out this comment, Busher Jackson isn't good?

Edit: Also yes, my top line isn't quite as talented as some of the tandems you see across the the league, but chemistry wise it's perfect which matters for Esposito

oh no question, that espo line works beautifully as a line. just maybe espo, even with great help, isn't so unstoppable against the best of the best that he can match up against the best comp zeroing in totally on him as the sole threat? which is why i wondered if your second line might have the diversity to absorb top pairings and go strength on strength?

jackson... i'm not an expert but my understanding is he wasn't good defensively. but i think maybe we have inferred this mostly from joe primeau bios? here is joe pelletier:

While Jackson and Conacher are remembered for their scoring theatrics, it was Primeau who was the glue of the unit.

Not unlike Doug Gilmour years later, the slippery Primeau masterfully set up his two line mates time and time again, as well as acting as the line’s defensive conscience. He was as good a defensive center and penalty killer as there was in his day.

and from dreakmur's primeau bio:

Great Left Wingers: Stars of Hockey's Golden Age said:
I could have found lots of guys to go with Joe Primeau, but he was the only centre who could make Conacher and Jackson click.

In his memoirs, Conn Smythe blamed Jackson and Conacher for the Leafs' failure to win more cups. "Conacher and Jackson never did feel very interested in getting in shape. They were busy driving their new cars and chasing women. Conacher and Jackson were never half as good as they were ought to be. They wanted Joe Primeau to do all the work, and they'd score the goals, which they were pretty good at.
Frank Selke said:
Defensively, he worked like a trojan for the Leafs. His expert playmaking was the dominant factor in the success of Toronto's famous kid line... Joe could not match them in speed or actual goalscoring, but he was the workhorse of the line. When he quit to devote himself to business, the other two never scaled the same heights without him.

i always thought of jackson as more of a bertuzzi than a leclair. a really good head of steam puck rusher who was impossible to stop, punishing forechecker but less of a corner and boards cycle guy. that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make beautiful, if also cacophonous, music with lindros, but i think he adds different stuff to the line than leclair would.

but my point about jackson was really just that there's not a lot of defence on your third line, which may be concerning considering your top two centers are espo and malkin.

@vadim sharifijanov suggested switching Potvin & Karlsson on the PP1 unit. I think I'm going to keep Karlsson on the top unit, he is an excellent QB for that unit. Malkin doesn't typically run the PP for the Pens so I need someone who can control the flow between Cook, Espo & MacInnis. Our coach can trust Karlsson to find the open man.

i think malkin plays the point when letang is hurt? i feel like his traffic-directing ability on the PP is very high, even if it hasn't always been his role.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
oh no question, that espo line works beautifully as a line. just maybe espo, even with great help, isn't so unstoppable against the best of the best that he can match up against the best comp zeroing in totally on him as the sole threat? which is why i wondered if your second line might have the diversity to absorb top pairings and go strength on strength?

jackson... i'm not an expert but my understanding is he wasn't good defensively. but i think maybe we have inferred this mostly from joe primeau bios? here is joe pelletier:

and from dreakmur's primeau bio:

i always thought of jackson as more of a bertuzzi than a leclair. a really good head of steam puck rusher who was impossible to stop, punishing forechecker but less of a corner and boards cycle guy. that doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't make beautiful, if also cacophonous, music with lindros, but i think he adds different stuff to the line than leclair would.

but my point about jackson was really just that there's not a lot of defence on your third line, which may be concerning considering your top two centers are espo and malkin.

i think malkin plays the point when letang is hurt? i feel like his traffic-directing ability on the PP is very high, even if it hasn't always been his role.

That would come from Foyston, my top line features Delvecchio & Smith who are both excellent defensive players

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That would come from Foyston, my top line features Delvecchio & Smith who are both excellent defensive players

oh wait, i just realized what you were responding to. i forgot to the type the word "defensively" in my comment about your third line in my original comment on your team. as in, "i don't know how good foyston is defensively. lindros is fine, jackson is not good."

yeah, of course jackson is a good player.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
thanks for the assassination, bb.

1st line: I tried playing Bergeron on the wing in the last ATD, reuniting the Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron line, and got burned for it. I'm more tolerant to such moves especially when IRL chemistry is the goal, but it's risky business. As it is I think this line is a bit ackward. Is Bathgate a sniper? I always saw him as a playmaker, but TDMM brought up a good point to me that his assist numbers might be because he played the point on the PP. As of now, I don't see Bathgate as a Bossy-like player, but am opened to be proven wrong. With Trottier, I'd have preferred a Bossy-like player. It's also unclear how much you really needed Bergeron at all on this team.

i guess i don't really know about atd conventions about how value is weighted and dinged for guys out of position. it was explained to me last time, but i guess i still don't totally get it?

my thinking with bergeron is i wanted trottier's line to have what crosby's international line has. maybe trottier doesn't need it, and maybe it's a waste of bergeron's talents as one of the greatest defensive centers ever to make him a glorified ondrej palat, but him in that role doesn't actually hurt the first line does it? in the sense that having patrice bergeron there out of position (but one we know for a fact he can excel in) isn't really worse than having, say, alex delvecchio there is it? (i mean defensively; delvecchio is the better offensive player, but then with two hart/ross guys on the line, i don't think we need the extra offence.)

and at the same time, is bergeron more wasted playing top line minutes out of position, or ten ES minutes a game on my shutdown fourth line?

as for bathgate, he has years where his ES goals and assists were basically even (58, 59, 63) and years where it was more of a 40/60 split. i think given how highly everyone raved about his shot, and his excellent prime goal scoring record of 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 8, 9 (in seven consecutive seasons against competition of rocket, howe, beliveau, geoffrion, hull, mahovlich), i don't see why bathgate couldn't have been a shoot-first guy if he'd had a trottier to his bossy. did he take on a greater playmaking role than he otherwise would have because there was nobody else on the rangers to do it? by the same token, is trottier without bossy slanted more to goal scoring, a la beliveau? i also like bathgate's reputation for being assertive with the body despite a pacifist and more of a dipsy-doodler, and not being shy about taking it to the net. like bossy, i think he can find the puck in traffic.

but even just taking bathgate's ES game at face value, that's an excellent dual goal scoring/playmaking threat who can skate beautifully and handles the puck at an elite level should work just great with trottier, a fellow A list scorer with a diverse skillset. and just like in real life, bathgate has two ridiculously good defensive linemates to carry him on that side of the puck.

2nd line: Great line offensively and defensively, but unless I'm misreading Firsov, it does seem on the soft side. Was Firsov physical? Yzerman can score goals and capitalize on Kucherov's playmaking, but I'd have preferred a Shanahan-like LWer to complement them. Is Firsov that guy? How do you see this line?

i don't think firsov was especially physical. and no this line doesn't have anyone who will go out of his way to throw his weight around, but i see this line more of just three offensive geniuses who can each playmake and score goals making beautiful soviet-style music together. i think with all those years of yzerman going out of his way to pick larionov's brain, he could be as good a fit as anyone with the east-west, drop passing, puck possession game. i feel like even in an ATD context this would be a really hard line to take the puck away from. i also think shero, as a tarasov acolyte, would love this line.

3rd line: With Trottier-Yzerman in the Top 6, you could afford a more risky 3rd line center, and Nels Stewart is that guy. Anderson and Tocchet are great "banging" wingers wh ocan crash the net and play a gritty game, and Stewart is great around the net, but I question the defense of that line a little bit. Stewart used to play with Hooley Smith who was an all-time great defensive player. Anyone they should be tough to play against, especially for small-ish defensive pairings.

you hit the nail on the head. this is the line i'm sending out there to rattle cages. they're definitely not a shutdown-type third line, and in fact if i want someone out there to stop an opposing line, this line is my fourth choice out of four. but if i'm getting dominated defensively, this is who i send out there to cause some mayhem. run their goalie, press their d's face against the glass, maybe stewart spears someone in the nuts.

4th line: Great classic 4th line.

i am pretty proud of this one. also, two conn smythe winners and a third guy who has finished 1st and 2nd in playoff goals.

1st pairing: You have a 1A/1B type of arrangement between your 1st and 2nd pairing, with the level being close. I think your 2nd pairing is a bit better. Anyway your 1st pairing is original but can work. Boucher was a master stickhandler, one of the greatest ever at this, but he also had a physical/pesty game as well as being solid defensively. Pronger had a classic first-pass. Boucher proved he could play with any type of defenseman, as he excelled wit hGerard, Hitchman, Clancy and sometimes Cleghorn, and Pronger is a bit Cleghorn-like.

2nd pairing: More standard in form, D-O complementarity (though Pilote was also good defensively), it's a real solid 2nd pairing (arguably your 1st). Basically I see Pilote and Pronger as borderline #1D types in this draft, and Langway a #2,; Boucher a #3.

3rd pairing: Harry Cameron is a favorite of mine, and I still wish to research him more in depth. He could be severely underrated. A Coffey-like offensive force from the blueline, with the playoff success to match. Ramsay is good as a defensive anchor to support him.

my thinking was each pair has a guy who can skate the puck up the ice all by himself if need be. i'm not married to the first pair being the first pair and the second being the second, actually the order is still just leftover from me putting pronger there because i drafted him first. but i do want to stick to those pairings.

ramsey was the toughest pick i made. i was really between him and ulf samuelsson and ultimately went with ramsey because i think he's just plain better defensively. i kind of wanted ulf as another guy to make the opposition think, but i think between boucher, pronger, and pilote, there was enough hit to hurt on this blueline.

i'm intrigued by cameron too. i imagine him as a bigger (for era) and more physical erik karlsson.

Goalies: Roy is the greatest of all-time. Giguère is OK nothing more, would have preferred a more steady regular season goalie maybe, but who cares. You have Roy so you always have the best goalie.

i was between giguère and kiprusoff. went with giguere ultimately because if i lost roy to injury my team has the defensive ability to go full babcock and this is a guy who can get locked in and put up four shutouts in six games or sweep detroit and dallas back-to-back under full babcock. i'd also note that my roster is not so different in structure to the 2007 ducks, which giggy won his cup with.

PP: Sad not to see Trottier on the 1st unit, I'd put him there over Kucherov 10 times out of 10, though I understand you want to avoid putting your Top 3 centers on the same unit. I wonder who is the best PPQB between Pilote and Harry Cameron. Bathgate is fine there. The 2nd unit has Trottier and Cameron, which is great, but not a fan of Pavelski and Anderson in there; but then again, you might not have anything better.

i had to put yzerman on the first unit and trottier on the second for handedness. i really wanted that second RHS on that first unit and was wary of having four RHS on the second unit (firsov, cameron, pavelski, yzerman). same reason i chose pilote over cameron, to have a LHS and a RHS on the point.

on the second unit, the other configuration i was thinking was

firsov trottier pavelski
pronger cameron

which i still might go to. that gives me a LHS and RHS on the point, and frees up firsov to direct traffic from the half boards. pavelski i like a lot in this role, he has really quietly been an elite slot guy. he was second in PP goals (to ovechkin) in back-to-back years, but if you look at his hockey-ref the numbers themselves don't look like much because crosby's 104 points was the only performance that topped 87 points in those two years.

i agree anderson does feel like a weak link, even if he proved he could do the job on that unit with gretzky, kurri, messier, and coffey.

another thought is moving cameron up to the first unit, but in bathgate's place. both guys had game changing slapshots. but bathgate afaict was fantastic on the PP. and i like the idea of him on an elite unit. the one year he was in detroit, he led the cup finalist red wings in playoff goals, all on the PP. must have been nice having howe, ullman, and delvecchio out there with him.

PK: I might try to put Trottier in there somewhere, maybe on the 2nd unit, because with him being only on the 2nd PP unit, i feel he is underused as your #1 center. Your 1st unit is very strong, especially considering Roy in net too.

i think you're right here. why not

trottier bergeron
langway pronger

goring anderson
ramsey pilote?

yzerman, boucher, and firsov as guys that can rotate in when needed. i think i remember @TheDevilMadeMe telling me once that claude lemieux killed fewer penalties in nj than one would think.

reluctant to break up goring and anderson as a PK duo. that's like bure-russ courtnall-level terrifying speed only also abrasive af. they'd be tough on the calmest coolest of QBs.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Cherry Hill Knights of Kní!

Home: Cherry Hill Arena- where "The Ice Is Tilted" is more than just a metaphor.*

Coach- Glen Sather

#27 Frank Mahovlich- #11 Mark Messier (C)- #12 Jarome Iginla [The Thunder Line]
#9 Paul Kariya- #91 Sergei Fedorov- #10 Pavel Bure [The Lightning Line]

#20 Johnny Bucyk (A)- #21 Brent Sutter- #18 Dave Taylor
#28 Claude Giroux- #17 Frank Fredrickson- #8 Jimmy Ward

#2 Viacheslav Fetisov (A)- #3 Earl Seibert
#4 Bill Gadsby- #88 Brett Burns
#6 František Pospišíl (A)- #72 Teppo Numminen

#29 Ken Dryden
#35 Pekka Rinne

PP-1 Pospišíl, Burns, Mahovlich/Messier, Giroux, Bure
PP-2 Fetisov, Seibert, Kariya/Mahovlich, Fedorov, Iginla

PK-1 Messier, Iginla, Fetisov, Seibert
PK-2 Fedorov, Kariya, Gadsby, Numminen

Preliminary Regular-Season Estimated Time-on-Ice Chart (subject to revision):
ForwardESPPPKTotal
Mahovlich15318
Messier141419
Iginla154322
Kariya143219
Fedorov143 421
Bure13316
Bucyk1010
Bre. Sutter9110
D. Taylor99
Giroux7411
Fredrickson99
J. Ward99
Team Total1382114173
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DefensemenESPPPKTotal
Fetisov173424
Seibert183425
Gadsby16319
Brent Burns14418
Pospišíl13417
Numminen14317
Team Total921414120
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Anticipated Goalie-Start ratio: Dryden, Rinne

Notes on multi-positional play:
The following will only be entertained in certain Special Teams situations, or in the event of injury. Keep in mind that with a roster of 20 skaters, the ability to play other positions could well be relevant. Fully a quarter of the Cherry Hill squad can do this- in some capacity. Here follows...

PlayerListed PositionCan creditably playCan play in extremis
Mark MessierCenterLeft Wing
Pavel BureRight WingLeft Wing
Sergei FedorovCenterRight WingLeft Wing, Defense
Brent BurnsRight DefenseRight Wing
Claude GirouxLeft WingCenterRight Wing
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Multi-million fantasy-dollar Capital Improvement Project completed. Ice no longer actually tilted. We've also added a Visitors Dressing Room, so that opponents no longer have to gear-up at the Hotel a mile down-the-road.

Leadership:

Top notch. Messier is in the conversation for best C of all time, though I think many settle on Beliveau with Mark ending up in the 2-5 hole for most folks. Fetisov, Pospisil, Bucyk are a very solid trio of A's. Nice variety of leadership styles as well. Sather and Messier is a nice reunion.

Forwards:

Can you say physical and just all around fantastic top line?

Messier is just one of the great all around C's. Here he features as the main facilitator and I see some big things on the cycle with all 3. Puck possession should be strong as you have heavy fore checking, enough responsible back checking. Despite being a larger group it isn't slow or handicapped by skating. Iginla can stand up for Messier (if need be) in a pinch as the latter will likely elicit some anger towards him over the course of a tournament. This isn't the most flashy line, but hot damn will they lean on people and score some dirty goals. You'll want Dmen who can skate and get the puck out of danger quickly when facing this group. At the very least you better be ready for plenty of contact.

As for the second line?

To quote a scarcely known Pink Floyd Song (not one of their better offerings IMO), "Wot's...Uh the Deal"

There is a TON of speed here. You won't find a trio capable of pushing defenses back on their heels better than this group. Speed and skill is paramount. Feds provides strong defensive credentials down the middle. Beyond that I do have some possible gripes. One being, who is the main engineer? Fedorov was more of a goal scorer. Same with Kariya. Bure is the most heavily slanted of the bunch. Now I'm not saying they are incapable of working magic together (they will). I'm not sure I see a definitive creator/visionary for this line. One must also point out the line is rather soft. While the speed will absolutely create chances, even some breakaways, there isn't much in the way of physical presence(s) here. Who is going to win board battles? Who is going to step up when somebody puts Kariya/Bure on their keister? I probably would keep this line away from premium scoring lines that can skate and return pressure. This line has a purpose and switches gears relative to the top unit. I'm just not sure I like 3 artistic players on a line together at this level.

I like the 3rd line as a thumping unit with sneaky offense on both wings. This unit can check for days, is good in both directions and should be able to pitch in with some complimentary offense, often through pure will. I think this is a line that can go stretches where they really have nice possession stats for a bottom 6 unit. Like the top line, they'll lean heavily on people.

The 4th line is a nice depth scoring group. Giroux and Frederickson offer very strong offensive ability for this limited role. Not good/great defensively, but certainly responsible. One hidden bonus about drafting Giroux (I've pointed out in past ATD's) is he gives you another legit face off artists defensively. Most don't realize but he's been one of the best in the NHL for a long time. Even after moving to LW he still takes a large number of draws. You have a nice blend of everything on this line. I like it.

Defense:

Fetisov-Seibert

One of the better top pairings. Checks all the boxes you want checked IMO.

Gadsby-Burns

I'm a fan of Gadsby. Had a strong, consistent career. Not flashy or standing out as elite in many areas, BG just seemed like he was the type who could do most things on an above average/good plane. Another one who isn't too heavily slanted in one direction or the other. Perhaps his legacy is different had he been on Montreal or Detroit in the 1950's. I'm a little lower on Burns than some though it's hard to ignore his offensive abilities both at ES/PP. Gadsby is a nice partner for Burns as Bill is strong enough with the puck to make Burns feel like he doesn't have to shoulder the entire burden of transition. Conversely he is plenty strong enough defensively to cover up for the Burns ventures.

Pospisil-Numminen

Quality depth pairing. Posp is a really nice anchor for a 3rd pairing. Numminen is a guy I've always liked as a quality later pick in the main ATD. Didn't get a lot of fanfare given who he played for but he was one of the better 2nd/3rd tier defenders. Played in all situations, big minutes and had good pub if you look for it.

Overall, this is a defensive group of premium quality. The boxes are all checked and I would wagers this one of the better 6's in the tourney.

Goalies:

Dryden is right smack dab in the middle of the pack w/12 teams. I give him a bump for his postseason resume as well. For a shorter career than most, he played in a lot of big games and came out on top most of the time. Rinne is a nice back up in that he can eat some regular season starts keeping KD fresher for the postseason.

Special Teams:

I'm not sure I've ever seen all 4 forwards on the PK come from the top 6 at ES. Very interesting.

Overall:

Really good squad for Sather. You have puck transition all over the ice, a really nice blend of speed and skill, though I may consider tinkering with the top 6. As it stands the top/2nd line are very distinct and to me that is always a little easier to plan against. Some may say the top 6 F's are the focal point but I'd point to the top 4 defensemen and Dryden as being the foundation. They should see a fair amount of transition work when the 1st and 3rd lines are on the ice. Most of the D corps can activate and make plays in the offensive zone and I like that all the C's are stronger/stronger defensively so you know there will be consistent coverage up top when the D's get low.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
MONTREAL MAROONS!

0329-nickburton-maroons.png

Coach:

Joel Quenneville

Forwards:

Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby (C) - Jari Kurri
Cy Denneny - Bobby Clarke (A) - Vladimir Martinec
Joe Malone - Ted Kennedy (A) - Alexander Maltsev
Craig Ramsay - Mike Modano - Theo Fleury

Defensemen:

Brian Leetch - Chris Chelios
Jack Stewart - Rob Blake
John Carlson - Dan Boyle

Goalies:

Jacques Plante
Billy Smith

Special Teams:

PP 1:

Kurri (shoot/pass) - Crosby (the office) - Denneny (shoot)
Blake (trigger) - Leetch (QB)

PP2:

Maltsev - Malone/Modano/Clarke (will rotate) - Martinec
Carlson (trigger) - Boyle (QB)

PK 1:

Ramsay - Clarke
Stewart - Chelios

PK 2:

Martinec - Kennedy
Carlson - Blake

Spare PK'ers

Fleury
Marchand
Modano
Kurri

I peeled off your post a bit to ease my overview as I'm reviewing.

1st line: I Love Kurri as the "Bergeron" of the line, recreating the Olympic line that had so much chemistry (and that I got burned for reuniting in ATD2020—boo!!!!). An all-around great line, motored by Crosby's offense and his "grinder-like" game. All three players are responsible defensively. Not the most physical line but it should be all right. A line to go to war with. Marchand is a weak 1st liner but I don't really care as he fits well.

2nd line: Strong combo at center with Crosby and Clarke; two classic leaders with two-way games. I love the Denneny-Clarke combo, because I see Denneny as an elite Barber. Martinec is fine there as a jack-of-all-trade, but it would have been even more satisfying if you got a Leach-like shooter. But that's me and my obsession with chemistry and line recreation. As it is, the line is still a classic, and as whole your Top 6 is a tremendous two-way block. This is a Top 6 made for the playoffs.

3rd line: Oh and then you send in Ted Kennedy?! A brutal center line of clutch leaders and warriors. Is it redundant? I don't know, but Kennedy provides the RHS center this team needed. This team will be crazy good at faceoffs. Not the biggest fan of having both Malone and Maltsev as his wingers. One or the other would be OK, then with a better all-around winger, but so be it. It does feel weird that your Kennedy line almost looks like your worst line defensively in your Top 9, which raises some question of its usefulness inside the lineup as a whole. However, I have a lot of love for the center line in itself, and being able to send Crosby-Clarke-Kennedy back-to-back-to-back is a great luxury and difficult to counter.

4th line: Nice semi recreation of the Lehtinen-Modano-Hull line. I love it, though I guess it will be severely underused, especially Modano was used to play absurd minutes under Hitchcock and is good enough to be a #3 center in this league. But hey, this is the price of depth. Best 4th line in the league probably, just on memory.

1st pairing: Classic O-D pairing. They remind me of my Chara-Coffey pairing, except better defensively but worst offensively. Picking Chelios so late was a good break for you.

2nd pairing: Physical 2nd pairing. Solid defensively, on the weak side offensively (as IIRC Blake more of a point-getter on the PP than an ES force of any kind). While you got some nice value on Stewart late, he is quite unidimensional, so you lack a true #3 who can truly oversee a pairing. This pairing, while reasonably good, is still a weakness on that team IMO.

3rd pairing: I really don't like this one after the 2nd pairing. Two offensively-oriented defensemen (from what I know, Carlson, for most of his career, wasn't anything to write home about defensively; am I wrong?). The reason I don't like it is that looking at your blueline as a whole, it is a bit thin on defense, which is a pity on such a defensively-conscious team.

Jacques Plante is the 2nd greatest goalie of all-time in my book, and maybe even the best one.

PP1: Pretty good, if unspectacular. Love Crosby and Leetch, Denneny and Kurri are allright. Blake is fine too.

PP2: The pointmen are your 3rd pairing, and I think I'd rather have seen you sacrifice the PP2 than their presence at ES (again unless I misjudge Carlson). The unit is fine but it wasn't worth it to sacrifice defense on the 3rd pairing for it.

Overall the PP is standard; not a strenght nor a weakness on this team.

PK1: Immense. Near unbeatable. However one thing stands out, is that the players on your team most likely to take penalties, are on this unit (except maybe Marchand), so the unit as written might not represent what will really happen in reality.

PK2: OK. Would put Modano over Martinec, but I feel bad for Modano playing on the 4th line.

Leadership: Concentrated in your center line, which is the spine, the backbone and heart of your team, Plante. Both Crosby and Clarke are all-time great captains. Personally I would give the "C" to Clarke, because I have the impression he was more of a leader from day one than Crosby who had to grow into it (despite wearing the "C" at a young age). But whatever, it's splitting hair.

Overall this is a serious contender for the title, with a great forward group and elite goaltending, but some weakness on the defense. Looking forward to seeing it compete against adversaries. One of my favorite teams you ever drafted, IE. Great job!

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Thank you for the focus and insightful comments you provided, here. Among other points, this one is salient:
Special Teams:

I'm not sure I've ever seen all 4 forwards on the PK come from the top 6 at ES. Very interesting.
And based on what @BenchBrawl observed, I do have the option of moving Brent Sutter up the depth-chart on Penalty-Kill... and will strongly consider it.
ImporterExporter said:
I may consider tinkering with the top 6.
Now's as good a time to address the elephant-in-the-room and point out that I can easily see (hopefully briefly) tinkering with the Top-6, not volitionally, but out of necessity. Many of us WILL have injured players- and (per the rules of the game) we have no bench. Don't blame me! I lobbied, strongly, to add spares this draft. Didn't happen- so I crafted my team with that stricture in mind.

I'd daresay that the most-likely-to-miss-time player I've got is Kariya. I believe my team adequately positioned to withstand a finite time-loss Kariya injury. Giroux could poach additional shifts, Bucyk can absorb a lot more ice-time than the amount currently assigned, and every Forward on the team this side of Iginla and Fedorov could play extra minutes without appreciable loss-of-efficiency.

Squads with oft-injured players who have failed to plan for this may be in the process of planning to... [you know the rest].;)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
remq0bkI_400x400.png

Vladislav Tretiak
Grant Fuhr

1st line: You'll have to refresh my memory, but the LWer playing with Stewart-Smith was Babe Siebert, right? Depending who it was would determine what score I give you in this recreation. Siebert was way more physical than Delvecchio. Regardless, I still love the line in itself, though it sacrificed quite a bit of value as a 1st line in order to accommodate Esposito. It is almost strange that an Espo line is that good defensively.

2nd line: Great 2nd line offensively, solid on the physical level, but weak defensively. I love Malkin-Cook a lot, but would really have preferred a better defensive LWer than Thompson, whom I don't buy has any all-around game. Furthermore, Malkin behind Espo is questionable choice. Would have preferred a two-way center to diversify.

3rd line: Again this is the major weakness of the team: You literally have no center that is really strong defensively. Lindros is OK there, but he won't be confused for a shut-down C. Anyway, at least your Top 3 centers are big and strong and will be hard to contain physically. I love Jackson-Lindros, as Jackson is some sort of more "rush-to-the-net" John LeClair. Foyston is fine as the jack-of-all-trades on the line, the "Renberg". Decent recreation of the legion-of-doom. I like it in isolation; not as much behind your actual Top 6 for reasons already stated.

4th line: OK.

1st pairing: Not sure how much I like MacInnis as a partner for Potvin, but it's probably good. A solid 1st pairing.

2nd pairing: The main strenght of your team: having two great #1 defensemen. Robinson is a stud on the 2nd pairing and guarantees you an elite D almost all the time on the ice at ES. I don't like Karlsson as Robinson's partner however. This forces Robinson into a more defensive role, which is limiting for him since he was a good skater and offensive defenseman in his own right. Robinson excelled with savard, and to a lesser extent Lapointe, both of which were much better than Karlsson defensively.

3rd pairing: Truly excellent pairing. I would very, very tempting to put Pietrangelo with Robinson over Karlsson. Then Suter-Karlsson would also be a kickass pairing.

Tretiak is good. Love Fuhr as backup.

PP1: Karlsson over Denis Potvin on the PP, seriously? Change that asap. f*** this shit! Even if you came up with the numbers and they looked close, do you really want to put big ego team captain Denis Potvin on the 2nd PP wave? An insult! Once you flip them, your 1st PP unit will be terrifying. A major strenght for this squad. Espo the elite net presence, Cook and Malkin solid PP forwards, and a MacInnis-Potvin pairing is insane.

PP2: Karlsson-Robinson would make for a great 2nd PP pairing. Forwards are not that good but not bad neither.

PK1: Great! Big strenght. Incredible pairing.

PK2: Pominville was a good PKer? Had no idea. Love Suter and MacInnis, though even Pietrangelo could play there.

Leadership: Very strong and deep too. Potvin and Cook were great captains, and guys like Esposito, Robinson, Foyston gives a lot of leadership depth.

Overall, you were ballsy in recreating known line forms, which I respect, but there are a couple of global mistakes that are hard to ignore, the most crucial of which is the lack of defense from your centers, which tends to be unforgiving in history. Potvin and Robinson on the blueline is a huuuge strenght, and your 3rd pairing is solid too, so your blueline is really great (chemistry details aside).

Last edited:
Reactions: ResilientBeast

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
It seems to be a matter of tradition to provide return-focus to a team that was engaged enough to focus on one's own squad, so we'll put away the randomizer and address:
Montreal Wanderers
latest

Lester Patrick

Sid Abel (A) - Mario Lemieux - Mike Bossy
Baldy Northcott - Jean Béliveau (C) - Patrick Kane
Zach Parise - Dave Keon - Boris Mikhailov (A)
Bill Barber - Peter Stastny - Todd Bertuzzi

Zdeno Chara - Paul Coffey
Sprague Cleghorn - Art Coulter (A)
Mark Giordano - Kevin Hatcher

Clint Benedict
Roy Worters

PP: Lemieux-Béliveau-Bossy-Cleghorn-Coffey
PP: Mikhailov(net)-Stastny-Kane-Chara-Barber

PK: Keon-Mikhailov-Chara-Coulter
PK: Abel/Lemieux-Northcott-Cleghorn-Hatcher
The Skinny:
Zoltan the Fortune-Teller says: we may never see a 1-2 of Mario Lemieux-Beliveau again, unless we bring back ATDs with snake-oil sales allowed trading rules!
Fans say: the Central Strength of this squad will bore through the opposition like the Chunnel Drill!
Skeptics say: is it possible to reach The Promised Land with a goalie tandem of Benedict-Worters?
The Knights of Kni Coaching Staff says: did you see that ALL of the Forwards in the bottom nine are LHSs? Hmmm...

Line 1: Sid Abel returns to his more ATD-familiar spot at LW, fresh off a Championship in ATD-2020, as a Center. Lemieux is just so transcendently great that anything that Abel's capable of giving you at LW, you'll get. Bossy will light-it-up and can only be slightly mitigated, not stopped.

Line 2: Northcott the clear Junior Partner of the top-6, Beliveau in the middle and Kane with some great pass-shoot pick-your-poison skill. Having said that, there is some merit to the "sheltered minutes" brickbat with which Kane is cudgeled- and that's why (even now) I don't really have him on the Geoffrion-Bathgate tier just yet.

Line 3: Dave Keon, like fellow Maple Leaf Kennedy for your cross-town rival Maroons, will be a fine Regular Season contributor whose true value will come into play when you take your (seemingly inevitable) place in The Playoffs.

Line 4: Another pursuit of the "Supplemental Scoring + Energy" model often seen in ATDs. Bertuzzi should get along with Cleghorn...

Top-4 Defence- I feel like your defence should be analysed as a quartet, and not a duo of discrete pairings, since you're doing something different and interesting here. Most (including me) have set up their defences "A-B," "C-D." Others have gone with the "A-D," "B-C" model. It looks like you went "A-C," B-D." Nice out-of-box thought there. I think that the hole-card of your first pairing is that you have two bilateral Defencemen. Will it be Chara-Coffey or Coffey-Chara? When I see a Coffey-type on one side of the ice, I look to his Forward group to find a same-sided Winger I can count on to come back hard if he gets caught-up. The guy you want to find there ain't gonna be Patrick Kane(!) Still in all, the laterality-options you have don't require that you lock yourself into anything. As I see Cleghorn, the only second-pairing Defenceman in the entire league who has a case for being on or above his tier as a player is Larry Robinson. The challenge, of course, will be keeping him out of Disciplinary Committee hearings. Art Coulter as partner will make entry-attempts an ordeal.

Bottom 2: should be enough to give the occasional rest to the top-4 guys.

Goaltending: I can be quoted to advantage with analysis stating that Goaltending doesn't matter as much as most of us think it does. You also have the second-best back-up goalie in the league (trailing only the one that had all that Front-Office turmoil)! Benedict will be plenty fresh for The Playoffs, when the matter will be re-visited once more.

Coaching: Lester Patrick carries a great reputation before him. He will serve.

Special Teams- as I look at the PP-1s of the various teams, it's kind-of-like looking at everyone's first D-pairings... you just don't find anything other than quality in a league of this depth. Eventually, I'll look and assign some mind's eye ordinal ranking to this. The PP-1 here, though- particularly with the bold use of Beliveau & Lemieux together, is one that looks like it deserves all-league consideration. We just really don't want to go short-handed too often in this league!

The Cherry Hill Coaching Staff is impressed- and we'll keep looking for little items in our observations that we can put down in our notes for later use. There's certainly a solid possibility we'll meet again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad