Proposal: Operation JET LAG Episode 1.0 Duncan Keith To WINNIPEG

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Greetings Everyone,

Just putting this out there it seems like a bold move which could light a fire under the Jets, who despite a good record don't appear to have the same aura around them as last season.

If this goes relatively smooth I'll attempt to Address getting Duchene finally moving to Winnipeg in the next proposal.

Please refrain from the regular hot takes and one word stabs they offer nothing to the discussion.

If you do CHOOSE to read the proposal in full I'd love to get some feedback if it warrants adjustment.

Vesalainen and Niku were left out intentionally. Don't include them in any counters as they may be in another deal that follows this .

PART 1.

Duncan Keith 35 years old

22:45 ATOI

15GP OG 7A 7PTS +3

While not as impactful as in prior years. Duncan Keith is not the player from last season when the majority of the team struggled.

This may be in part due to a longer summer to prepare and recuperate.

The teams leaders/veterans play is more structured and effective this year and coupled with more efficient usage by the coaching staff and
lowering his minutes , zone starts etc he is playing with new found vigor.

His Cap Hit for his current level of play is a steal still @ $5.5M per season with 3 remaining years after this one ending in the 2021-2022 season.

Cap Hit 5.5M per

Actual Salary Owed
19-20 $3.5 M
20-21 $2.65 M
21-22 $2.1 M

(3) Stanley Cups
(1) Conn Smyth
(2) Norris Trophies
(2) Olympic Gold

While Keith does hold a ( NMC ) he is a native of Winnipeg.

He could possibly waive if he knew it would help the Hawks prepare for a rebuild.

It would also provide great marketing for the Jets if he were to play for his hometown team and create a buzz in the fan base and media .

Keith could also capitalize on some sponsorship and promotional rewards in Winnipeg and Canada as he took a ridiculous team friendly deal in Chicago literally giving up millions of dollars.

It is the best value NHL contract in the modern era .

He could expand his personal and financial goals and grow his foundations in a new enviorment which could also provide newfound energy and focus in his product on the ice.

Keith Relief

He could be a vital cog on the left side of the Jets D while taking some of the heavy lifting off Josh Morrisey and stabilize an already excellent blueline.

Keith is taking fewer DZ starts this year and could take even fewer in Winnipeg with the glut of defensively sound guys on the back end which would keep him fresh for the most pivotal parts of the games.

A resurgence in his play joining that deep and talented blueline is more likely than it would be carrying a larger load with less support that he faced in Chicago.

He is a good soldier and has nothing left to prove to the Hawks. You have to believe they would consider any reasonable request.

He is still an elite conditioned top 4 defender who should be able to perform the duties of his contract and increase the Jets chances to go deep numerous times.

I'm a Hawks supporter by the way.

It's better to start looking to the future instead of riding out the remaining value on players like Keith when youth and development should be at or near the top of the list for the Hawks in terms of priority.

With the current roster and cap implications connected to rewarding cup success it may hinder moves in the now and future.

Im not saying these contracts are undeserved you can't argue with 3 Cup wins.

My personal opinion is that managements blueprint of the organization moving foward should be getting return on older highly valuble contributors that could be solid depth or important adds for teams on the cusp and maximize on the demand for capable playoff performers.

This version of the Hawks is trying to hang on.... the time for duct tape and patchwork has passed.

I've seen too many teams try to hang on to a leaky ship and end up losing value by not being decisive and bold. Meanwhile struggling with mediocrity and wasting development years which could have been avoided with common sense and foresight in the front office.

Taking into consideration the risk associated with his contract and father time which may not effect him in the next 4 seasons, I think Winnipeg carries to much risk for someone as high end as Vesalainen to be included... same for Niku who looks to be an offensive force as early as next year and recently won top defenceman in the AHL.

Winnipeg has no history giving out top picks or prospects easily so it has to benefit them and be fair.

If you were patient enough to make it this far thank you for that as I felt it was important to see my aspect of the value and where I'm coming from. I attempted to make it clear and paint as detailed as picture as I could .

Now the TRADE

Duncan Keith $5.5M prorated 18-19
Full Cap till 21-22

To the WINNIPEG JETS

@ or Prior to the 18-19 Deadline
Negative Value:

-- Dmitry Kulikov LHD who currently is an extra or # 7/8 D he has negative value and the rest of the proposal will consider that in regards to Chicago taking on his contract.

$4.333M prorated from the time of the trade and full hit for the 19-20 season . Unless a Buy-Out can be arranged or LTIR. He is the only dump that is to be considered in this scenario.

Positive Value:

+ Jack Roslovic- C/RW/ RHS /6-1/187

$1.1M
through 2019-20- RFA Entry Level Slide

21 years of age /Columbus -Ohio-USA

1rst RD /25th Overall /2015

NCAA All Rookie Team 2015-16

2016 IIHF U20 WJC Gold

AHL All Star

3rd Pro Season

Currently on Jets Active Roster

+ Logan Stanley-LD(plays both sides)/LHS /6-7/227

ELC currently first Pro Season in AHL

20 years of age/Kitchener-Ontario -Canada

1rst RD/18th Overall/2016

2017 CHL Memorial Cup Champion Windsor OHL

+ Dylan Samburg-LD(plays both sides)/LHS/6-3/190

NHL Rights/Winnipeg Jets /Unsigned/ NCAA 2nd year

19 years of age/Hermantown -MN-USA

2nd Rd/43 Overall/2017

2017-18 NCAA National Champion University of Minnesota-Duluth (Rookie)

2018 IIHF U20 WJC Bronze

+ Mason Appleton-C/RW/RHS/6-2/194

2nd Pro Season in AHL

22 years of age/Green Bay-WI-USA

6th RD/168th Overall/2015

2017-18 AHL Rookie Of Year (Red Garrett Memorial Award)

+PICK or PICKS I'm open to discussion and feedback as I can't quite Gauge it definitively...... obviously not a 1rst RD from Winnipeg .

Not certain on the contract limits but Chicago can add AHL bodies to even things out in that regard.

FINI

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Winnipeg says no thanks.

Also, for efficiency sake, Winnipeg doesn't want Duchene either, he's not a good enough for to spend those assets

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Nice OP but the Jets will pass. IMO Keith is not worth any of the youth the Jets would be giving up. Due to the cap situation the Jets will stay in ELC country for the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoName and Heldig

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
1) Keith may have been born in Winnipeg but he moved to Ontario @ age 4. Not a big selling point. Then @ 15 he moved to BC.
Toews fits the bill of a Winnipeg guy that spends summers here but like Keith the contract & cost to acquire outweigh the benifit.
2) With the # of pending contracts the 5.5 is better spent on re-signing some of the Jets own. On defense alone Morrissey & Trouba are on bridge contacts.
3) The return asked decimates the Jets touted crop of youngsters. Though you don't ask for Niku or Vasalainen the Jets count on those youngsters to restock while they have to restock when the cap demands they trade some of the current roster.

You admit you support the Hawks but you are asking Winnipeg to restock your cupboard in 1 trade. A draft & develop team is the last team likely to do this.
Nice try but the Jets are the wrong team to target. I'd recommend you try again using Toronto or Buffalo. Vancouver is another likely as he played with Penticton of the BCHL & later Kelowna. All 3 have deepish prospect pools & are more in need of help on D.

Reactions: Catch22 and Snowman

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Hes an Ontario kid. He moved from Manitoba when he was 3 or something. The Hawks defence already isn't that good. If you're going to move Keith might as well give up on everyone else except for Kane.

Reactions: Catch22

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That’s an easy no freaking chance from the Jets. Zero interest in OP, Jack isn’t being traded for a 35 yr player. Like others have stated the Jets ELC deals are pure gold and needed moving forward. Can’t afford DK cap wise

Last edited:

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Guess I'm the only one who thinks Keith is in decline. He isn't worth his contract. This proposal is terrible for the Jets.
No, he’s definitely not as good as he once was. That said, he’s still a great defender and definitely worth his contract. I don’t think it makes sense for the Jets, but it definitely doesn’t make sense for the Hawks.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Way too much from the Jets. They can probably put Kulikov on LTIR if his back still doesn't recover. If it does recover, he's a top 4 D.

The Jets also aren't giving up Roslovic and Samberg for a guy on the decline.

The Hawks also aren't trading a guy who won 3 cups for them and should retire as a legend there.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
It’s an interesting idea and the fit is there but I don’t think it works cap wise for the Jets, also I think in this proposal the Jets are giving up too much.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Greetings Everyone,

Just putting this out there it seems like a bold move which could light a fire under the Jets, who despite a good record don't appear to have the same aura around them as last season.

If this goes relatively smooth I'll attempt to Address getting Duchene finally moving to Winnipeg in the next proposal.

Please refrain from the regular hot takes and one word stabs they offer nothing to the discussion.

If you do CHOOSE to read the proposal in full I'd love to get some feedback if it warrants adjustment.

Vesalainen and Niku were left out intentionally. Don't include them in any counters as they may be in another deal that follows this .

PART 1.

Duncan Keith 35 years old

22:45 ATOI

15GP OG 7A 7PTS +3

While not as impactful as in prior years. Duncan Keith is not the player from last season when the majority of the team struggled.

This may be in part due to a longer summer to prepare and recuperate.

The teams leaders/veterans play is more structured and effective this year and coupled with more efficient usage by the coaching staff and
lowering his minutes , zone starts etc he is playing with new found vigor.

His Cap Hit for his current level of play is a steal still @ $5.5M per season with 3 remaining years after this one ending in the 2021-2022 season.

Cap Hit 5.5M per

Actual Salary Owed
19-20 $3.5 M
20-21 $2.65 M
21-22 $2.1 M

(3) Stanley Cups
(1) Conn Smyth
(2) Norris Trophies
(2) Olympic Gold

While Keith does hold a ( NMC ) he is a native of Winnipeg.

He could possibly waive if he knew it would help the Hawks prepare for a rebuild.

It would also provide great marketing for the Jets if he were to play for his hometown team and create a buzz in the fan base and media .

Keith could also capitalize on some sponsorship and promotional rewards in Winnipeg and Canada as he took a ridiculous team friendly deal in Chicago literally giving up millions of dollars.

It is the best value NHL contract in the modern era .

He could expand his personal and financial goals and grow his foundations in a new enviorment which could also provide newfound energy and focus in his product on the ice.

Keith Relief

He could be a vital cog on the left side of the Jets D while taking some of the heavy lifting off Josh Morrisey and stabilize an already excellent blueline.

Keith is taking fewer DZ starts this year and could take even fewer in Winnipeg with the glut of defensively sound guys on the back end which would keep him fresh for the most pivotal parts of the games.

A resurgence in his play joining that deep and talented blueline is more likely than it would be carrying a larger load with less support that he faced in Chicago.

He is a good soldier and has nothing left to prove to the Hawks. You have to believe they would consider any reasonable request.

He is still an elite conditioned top 4 defender who should be able to perform the duties of his contract and increase the Jets chances to go deep numerous times.

I'm a Hawks supporter by the way.

It's better to start looking to the future instead of riding out the remaining value on players like Keith when youth and development should be at or near the top of the list for the Hawks in terms of priority.

With the current roster and cap implications connected to rewarding cup success it may hinder moves in the now and future.

Im not saying these contracts are undeserved you can't argue with 3 Cup wins.

My personal opinion is that managements blueprint of the organization moving foward should be getting return on older highly valuble contributors that could be solid depth or important adds for teams on the cusp and maximize on the demand for capable playoff performers.

This version of the Hawks is trying to hang on.... the time for duct tape and patchwork has passed.

I've seen too many teams try to hang on to a leaky ship and end up losing value by not being decisive and bold. Meanwhile struggling with mediocrity and wasting development years which could have been avoided with common sense and foresight in the front office.

Taking into consideration the risk associated with his contract and father time which may not effect him in the next 4 seasons, I think Winnipeg carries to much risk for someone as high end as Vesalainen to be included... same for Niku who looks to be an offensive force as early as next year and recently won top defenceman in the AHL.

Winnipeg has no history giving out top picks or prospects easily so it has to benefit them and be fair.

If you were patient enough to make it this far thank you for that as I felt it was important to see my aspect of the value and where I'm coming from. I attempted to make it clear and paint as detailed as picture as I could .

Now the TRADE

Duncan Keith $5.5M prorated 18-19
Full Cap till 21-22

To the WINNIPEG JETS

@ or Prior to the 18-19 Deadline
Negative Value:

-- Dmitry Kulikov LHD who currently is an extra or # 7/8 D he has negative value and the rest of the proposal will consider that in regards to Chicago taking on his contract.

$4.333M prorated from the time of the trade and full hit for the 19-20 season . Unless a Buy-Out can be arranged or LTIR. He is the only dump that is to be considered in this scenario.

Positive Value:

+ Jack Roslovic- C/RW/ RHS /6-1/187

$1.1M
through 2019-20- RFA Entry Level Slide

21 years of age /Columbus -Ohio-USA

1rst RD /25th Overall /2015

NCAA All Rookie Team 2015-16

2016 IIHF U20 WJC Gold

AHL All Star

3rd Pro Season

Currently on Jets Active Roster

+ Logan Stanley-LD(plays both sides)/LHS /6-7/227

ELC currently first Pro Season in AHL

20 years of age/Kitchener-Ontario -Canada

1rst RD/18th Overall/2016

2017 CHL Memorial Cup Champion Windsor OHL

+ Dylan Samburg-LD(plays both sides)/LHS/6-3/190

NHL Rights/Winnipeg Jets /Unsigned/ NCAA 2nd year

19 years of age/Hermantown -MN-USA

2nd Rd/43 Overall/2017

2017-18 NCAA National Champion University of Minnesota-Duluth (Rookie)

2018 IIHF U20 WJC Bronze

+ Mason Appleton-C/RW/RHS/6-2/194

2nd Pro Season in AHL

22 years of age/Green Bay-WI-USA

6th RD/168th Overall/2015

2017-18 AHL Rookie Of Year (Red Garrett Memorial Award)

+PICK or PICKS I'm open to discussion and feedback as I can't quite Gauge it definitively...... obviously not a 1rst RD from Winnipeg .

Not certain on the contract limits but Chicago can add AHL bodies to even things out in that regard.

FINI

Well, this is terrible.

Reactions: LeafChief

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No, he’s definitely not as good as he once was. That said, he’s still a great defender and definitely worth his contract. I don’t think it makes sense for the Jets, but it definitely doesn’t make sense for the Hawks.

I think he has declined more than you seem to think. He might just possibly be worth his contract this year, because his offense is still there. But his D play has fallen off a cliff. He won't be worth his money next year, much less his cap. And he has 4 more years to go after this year.

This proposal is one of the more lopsided ones I have ever seen. It would be a huge haul for Chicago even if Keith was somewhat good for the next several years. I wouldn't take Keith off Chicago's hands just for Kulikov alone. A 1 year cap dump in exchange for 4 more years of a bigger cap hit. I wouldn't give up this package even if Keith was still playing at his peak, which he is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->