Opening day lineups?

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Did you miss the post LITERALLY one above your post?
Schief is on the second line according to Noel.

No one was beaking you, you're just late to the party.
Don't blame me for getting my back up against a wall around these parts. To many of you "fans" are hardcore armchair GMs just waiting to scrutinize the first person who goes against the grain. (Not suggesting you're one of them :))

And no I didn't listen to the Q&A with Noel. I was posting what I thought the lineups will be or should be (in my opinion).

Last edited by a moderator:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
By who's decision? Yours? Cause from what it has sounded like over the last couple days it appears "sounds" like he's 3C. It was what I think the line-ups will be.

Sorry for what? Not agreeing with me? You're entitled to your opinion, and so am I.

Lol, we're not really talking about an opinion here anymore...

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I was just trying to straighten why you were getting flak for predicting something contrary to what Noel had said.
Given the context now I'm sure you see that PREDICTING Jokinen to centre Kane on Tuesday would be odd :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Don't blame me for getting my back up against a wall around these parts. To many of you "fans" are hardcore armchair GMs just waiting to scrutinize the first person who goes against the grain. (Not suggesting you're one of them :))

And no I didn't listen to the Q&A with Noel. I was posting what I thought the lineups will be or should be (in my opinion).

Scheifele isn't a proven NHLer yet, truth. I'm sorry as well, it's unlikely Mark will want to date you :(

At this point I wouldn't really call Jokinen a proven NHLer anymore...

peg

Jul 8, 2010
My starting line-up:

Kane Scheifele Wheeler
Ladd Lowry Little
Halischuk Petan Frolik
Tangradi Slater Peluso
O'Dell

Trouba Bogosian
Enstrom Buff
Morrissey Clitsome
Kichton
Redmond

Pavelec
Comrie

Ooops. I thought we were speculating on NEXT year's starting line-up :sarcasm:

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
yeesh....my excitement has officially turned into worry.

I get that scheifele has to be given a chance at 2C, but it sure says something about our team that he basically got it because there was no better option.....he doesnt look ready to be a day in day out 2C in my mind.....we are weeeeeeeeeeak up the middle.

hopefully joki can find it somewhere.

I bet (hope) Lowry sees some NHL ice time this season.

What is the deal with no Halischuk?....in my opinion, Wright, Peluso and Tangradi should not even be in the NHL....if we have a guy who has 20 goals and 40 points in his last 100 games, he needs to play ahead of them....he's a solid third liner on this roster.

Last edited:

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm just wondering how long Wright is in the line-up?

Halischuk might have to wait a couple of games, but he'll be a solid pk'er too, and should add more offence then Wright. If the Jets stumble early, and don't score, I'm hoping Halischuk finds his way into the line-up.

The guy that has to pick it up for me is Tanger. Not particularly physical or really hard to play against, and hasn't put up points either. Needs to find a role, IMO.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
You're missing Alex Steen.

Sorry for the oversight. Alex will be a UFA. Wouldn't that be something if we landed him :) All those guys claiming Ladd is just a 3rd line left winger, with Kane and Steen in the line up, they just might be right :sarcasm:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm just wondering how long Wright is in the line-up?

Halischuk might have to wait a couple of games, but he'll be a solid pk'er too, and should add more offence then Wright. If the Jets stumble early, and don't score, I'm hoping Halischuk finds his way into the line-up.

The guy that has to pick it up for me is Tanger. Not particularly physical or really hard to play against, and hasn't put up points either. Needs to find a role, IMO.

I thought Tanger looked good in the preseason.
I agree about Hali though, I think he forces Noel's hand. I just don't see why Wright is in the top 9.
But again, we've yet to play a game...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
yeesh....my excitement has officially turned into worry.

I get that scheifele has to be given a chance at 2C, but it sure says something about our team that he basically got it because there was no better option.....he doesnt look ready to be a day in day out 2C in my mind.....we are weeeeeeeeeeak up the middle.

hopefully joki can find it somewhere.

I bet (hope) Lowry sees some NHL ice time this season.

What is the deal with no Halischuk?....in my opinion, Wright, Peluso and Tangradi should not even be in the NHL....if we have a guy who has 20 goals and 40 points in his last 100 games, he needs to play ahead of them....he's a solid third liner on this roster.

Scheifele looked pretty good at 2C in that one preseason game. Then it was Olli and Evander for 5 games...so, tough to write Scheifele off based on that.

I'm not a big believer in this "he has to earn it by playing all his minutes with Wright on his wing" method - just seems like a spirit crusher to me. This is how you ruin players.

bazaaa*

I admit I didn't attend camp, but I just don't see how a guy like O'Dell who had such a good year, doesn't get a shot for third line, over somone like Halischuk or Wright. In a full season, he would have been third in points in the AHL, on one of the worst teams in the league. Second in goals scored.

He had 20 goals and 38 points in his last 32 games.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Am I the only one who disagrees with the coaching staff giving Olli all of the opportunity to prove himself while still planning to have Scheif start at 2C?

The vibe I got from this thread and the Noel interview was that Scheif pretty much won the spot in the first game, and then Olli was given the rest of the preseason to respond.

Why wouldn't you take that chance to let 9, 55 and 40 build chemistry instead of banging Jokinens head against the wall?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I thought Tanger looked good in the preseason.
I agree about Hali though, I think he forces Noel's hand. I just don't see why Wright is in the top 9.
But again, we've yet to play a game...

He wasn't horribad, but didn't really do much either, IMO.

Though, on the 4th line, I suppose that's not the end of the world either. Just don't think having him in the line-up vs not having him in, makes that much difference. Hali can pk and showed some finish on his breakaway, shorthanded goal.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Don.t get the Tangradi love here, he was mostly marginal in his play last season and for a big man didn't play like one

Still think it is Jokinen over Scheff at 2C, Scheff didn't exactly seize the position and as much as I hate to say it Jokinen is the better player right now:(

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Don.t get the Tangradi love here, he was mostly marginal in his play last season and for a big man didn't play like one

Still think it is Jokinen over Scheff at 2C, Scheff didn't exactly seize the position and as much as I hate to say it Jokinen is the better player right now:(

Noel said today the Mark was his 2C.
He could be lying but...

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
(*My Internet Coach Hat is activated*)
Hope I see this lineup, and a system adjustment because the one we have now the players don't seem believe in. These players are good and they shouldn't be performing lifeless as we've seen. Other wise its middle of the pack again if we're lucky.
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Kane-Scheifele-Setogutchi
Halischuk-Slater-Frolik
Tangradi-Wright-Thorburn
SC: Jokinen

Buff-Trouba
Enstrom-Clitsome
Stuart-Bogosian
SC: Postma, Redmond

Pavelec
Pasquale

Montoya

-You're in the NHL now, swim or sink, cause you're not getting free pay checks-

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Hope I see this lineup, and a system adjustment because the one we have now the players don't seem believe in. These players are good and they shouldn't be performing lifeless as we've seen. Other wise its middle of the pack again if we're lucky.
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Halischuk-Slater-Frolik
Tangradi-Wright-Thorburn

Buff-Trouba
Enstrom-Clitsome
Stuart-Bogosian

Pavelec
Pasquale

Montoya

Wow.
I understand what your thinking was, I just don't agree.
It would be an interesting concept if current play directly correlated to playing time though.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
It was also based off my belief in the players and whether they will be in the NHL in the future as actual real keeper players.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It was also based off my belief in the players and whether they will be in the NHL in the future as actual real keeper players.

But you have Bogosian on the third pairing?
And Stuart over both Redmond and Postma, both of which you can argue are as good as him today, let alone in 3 years.

And because I have my biases you have Thorburn in the line up but no Peluso.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Halischuk-Slater-Frolik
Tangradi-Wright-Thorburn

Buff-Trouba
Enstrom-Clitsome
Stuart-Bogosian

Pavelec
Pasquale

Montoya

As much as I'm no a Joker fan I don't see him being a healthy scratch. My guess is the forward scratches to start the season will be Peluso and Halischuk. I just hope Joker is on the 3rd rather than 2nd line.

No way is Bogo going to be on the 3rd pairing and Trouba on the 1st. Bogo consistently played the hardest minutes last season, and you'd want to shelter Trouba a bit. This morning's Free Press indicated that the pairings would be Toby-Bogo, Clitty-Buff and Stuart-Trouba to start the season.

Chances are good Redmond is the last person released since he is on a 2-way and he is waiver exempt.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Count me in the camp that has a raised eyebrow with Wright on the 3rd line and Halischuk in the press box.

I liked Wright last year. We had some easy to play against guys like Mittens, Wellwood, and Antro, and he brought a lot of hustle. I remember all the times in PGT's where we were hoping he would finally score. I like the hard working "Rudy" players like Wright. At some point though, even the 3rd and 4th line guys need to contribute on the score sheet. I would put Wright and Tangradi in that category where they need to bring their energy, defensive and physical game every night, AND chip in now and again.

Which makes keeping Halischuk off the roster a head scratcher to me. He has shown more offensive ability in the NHL than the other 2, and also brings the energy and defensive play. I also thought he looked pretty good in the preseason games I saw him in. Oh well, let's see how the first dozen games shake out.

I do like the idea of having Enstrom and Bogo together and Buff and Clitsome together to start. In a perfect world, Clitsome would be a big defense first guy, which would really balance out the pairings.

I am somewhat surprised that Peluso is not dressed for the Oiler game (if the opening game lineup is the same as the line combos posted earlier). Just for the fact that it's possible that the Oilers dress both MacIntyre and Eager.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->