Post-Game Talk: Opening Day - Devils 5, Oilers 2 (@ Sweden)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's all about the resume, man. He won a Cup!
He did! As an assistant!

I remember a couple Sharks fans getting into it with me over my blasting of him. Doug Wilson wasted prime Marleau and Thornton with this guy. And even brought him back after the reverse sweep. Although that was a brilliant move by Doug Wilson to save himself. If he hadn’t done that and they still missed the playoffs under a new coach in 14-15, Doug Wilson might have lost his job too. He had a mulligan on himself by bringing back McLellan for one year after that.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It's almost like they could use a player exactly like Taylor Hall
I don't think Hall solves their problem. They have the same problem they have had for a decade, they have no depth. Their drafting outside of the first round has been horrible, they haven't attracted many free agents, and their trading has been poor. This is a team sport, and they have never been able to fill out a lineup with quality NHL players despite drafting high in the first round year after year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think Hall solves their problem. They have the same problem they have had for a decade, they have no depth. Their drafting outside of the first round has been horrible, they haven't attracted many free agents, and their trading has been poor. This is a team sport, and they have never been able to fill out a lineup with quality NHL players despite drafting high in the first round year after year.

They haven’t been able to bring in guys like Palms, Mojo, or Vats via trade. Same no later draft picks making statements like Wood, Coleman, and Bratt.

Reactions: My3Sons and Blender

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We need a new win celebration gif.
2jjpuv.gif

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
He did! As an assistant!

I remember a couple Sharks fans getting into it with me over my blasting of him. Doug Wilson wasted prime Marleau and Thornton with this guy. And even brought him back after the reverse sweep. Although that was a brilliant move by Doug Wilson to save himself. If he hadn’t done that and they still missed the playoffs under a new coach in 14-15, Doug Wilson might have lost his job too. He had a mulligan on himself by bringing back McLellan for one year after that.
It's easy to get ridiculously negative on these boards, but a few Sharks posters are absolute Polyannas. Criticizing any aspect of the team is a mortal sin or something. How a coach with that much talent over 7 years couldn't do better than Game 5 of the WCF, once, astounds me. Yet he parlays his "success" into the Oilers HC job. Back to the Devils ...

Great start to your season. Always nice to see Edmonton get handled. Hopefully Schneider comes back in good form.

Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Honestly anything negative I have on today’s game is just nitpicking stuff. Less penalties would be good.

Otherwise I think everyone played well enough in their roles.

The top line looked very sloppy and rusty, but everyone else sans Boyle looked good. Even Lovejoy had a good game.

Reactions: Blender

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Nice team win. Zajac and Green had very good games. Palmieri was clutch. The defense played an overall solid game and all the forwards were strong on the boards. Nice win.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If you dive deeper, you have to ask what is the Oilers identity? They have the fastest, most skilled player in the league, but they surround him with slugs.

People scoffed at “Fast, Attacking, Supportive”, but management has absolutely stuck to their guns with it being our identity. They actively went out to acquire players that fit that mold via trade and draft. They kept the players from the old regime that were willing to play that way as well.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you dive deeper, you have to ask what is the Oilers identity? They have the fastest, most skilled player in the league, but they surround him with slugs.

People scoffed at “Fast, Attacking, Supportive”, but management has absolutely stuck to their guns with it being our identity. They actively went out to acquire players that fit that mold via trade and draft. They kept the players from the old regime that were willing to play that way as well.
The Oilers identity seems to be whatever thoughts and whims Daryl Katz happens to discuss with his committee of Oilers legends in any given week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad