Opening Ceremony - Fri July 23rd - 7AM ET

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Internationally maybe, in Japan it's not even close to the likes of Matsuyama or Ohtani. Osaka is a bit like if Nico Rosberg decided to keep representing Finland instead of switching to Germany back in the day.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I have a feeling the 2036 Summer Olympics will be awarded to Tokyo because the IOC doesn't feel Tokyo had the full Olympic experience because of COVID. IMO, i think that's fair.
The people of Tokyo should have a full Olympic experience.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The people of Tokyo are largely sick and tired of any Olympic experience, I doubt that anyone would be brave enough to even suggest bringing it back anytime soon.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I have a feeling the 2036 Summer Olympics will be awarded to Tokyo because the IOC doesn't feel Tokyo had the full Olympic experience because of COVID. IMO, i think that's fair.

are they bidding?

member 305909

Indeed, if the people of Tokyo or Japan in general had been asked these games wouldn't have even started.

Very easy to agree with them too.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Indeed, if the people of Tokyo or Japan in general had been asked these games wouldn't have even started.

Very easy to agree with them too.

to be fair most people don't want the Olympics. I mean even in 2010 a lot of Canadians didn't want the olympics (I know we're speaking about Covid etc) but i'm just saying if you ask the people they normally say no.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

member 305909

to be fair most people don't want the Olympics. I mean even in 2010 a lot of Canadians didn't want the olympics (I know we're speaking about Covid etc) but i'm just saying if you ask the people they normally say no.

Hosting the olympics, especially the summer games, is a very bad investment. Costs a fortune and doesn't bring revenue anywhere near the same amount.

I predict that in the future it will be hard to find cities willing to host the olympics.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Hosting the olympics, especially the summer games, is a very bad investment. Costs a fortune and doesn't bring revenue anywhere near the same amount.

I predict that in the future it will be hard to find cities willing to host the olympics.

What I think will happen is that the Olympics will be cycled between a select few cities that have the infrastructure to host the Olympics. We could see the Olympics cycled between London, LA, Paris, Tokyo, and Beijing.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Because taxes often go up to finance the Olympics, and 99% of the population doesn't get any benefit.

Unless you lived in Vancouver in 2010 or were willing to spend thousands of dollars on airfare + accommodations + meals + event tickets, then what benefit is there to the average Canadian if the Olympics are held in Canada or not?

For me personally, the only benefit to the Olympics being held in the Western hemisphere (not even Canada specifically) is that it means the hockey events are held during the evening when I can watch them, rather than during work hours (8 AM to 6 PM) when I can't watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: shanewalsh

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
If they want it, I'd have no problem with it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'd be ecstatic if my hometown made a bid. I'd quit my job to become a full time volunteer and wouldn't stop being giddy until they are well over.

Reactions: Filppula

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

Some things cannot be measured in money. Olympic games is one of them.
By the way, that's not a bold prediction to make. Cities are already rejecting them left and right.

Reactions: Filppula

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Because taxes often go up to finance the Olympics, and 99% of the population doesn't get any benefit.

Unless you lived in Vancouver in 2010 or were willing to spend thousands of dollars on airfare + accommodations + meals + event tickets, then what benefit is there to the average Canadian if the Olympics are held in Canada or not?

For me personally, the only benefit to the Olympics being held in the Western hemisphere (not even Canada specifically) is that it means the hockey events are held during the evening when I can watch them, rather than during work hours (8 AM to 6 PM) when I can't watch.

I know the reasons and everything :) that's why i was saying that if you ask most people they'll say no - wanting the games is more a political thing

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
So was it completely impossible for Japan to delay the olympics for one more year so that they can have full crowds in the stands to watch the games? Its going to suck watching all these events without any atmosphere whatsoever. :oops:

member 305909

I would have thought that every other olympics would be in viewer friendly time-zones from the American perspective but actually four consecutive olympics werent.

Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012.

Rio 2016 was in a good time zone but this Tokyo isn't and neither will be Paris in 2024.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I would have thought that every other olympics would be in viewer friendly time-zones from the American perspective but actually four consecutive olympics werent.

Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Beijing 2008 and London 2012.

Rio 2016 was in a good time zone but this Tokyo isn't and neither will be Paris in 2024.
The morning competitions should be in the evening in most of the US, no?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
So was it completely impossible for Japan to delay the olympics for one more year so that they can have full crowds in the stands to watch the games? Its going to suck watching all these events without any atmosphere whatsoever. :oops:

it wasn't Japan's decision. it was the IOC

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

If the 4th or 5th wave of COVID hits a year from now do you postpone it to 2023?

Did it ever occur to you that we might be facing the theta or lambda variant?

I hope that we aren't, but COVID-19 has been running for 1.5 years so far. I don't see an end in sight.

Florida, California and Oklahoma had huge increases in the last month. India, Brazil, France, Russia and the UK are also trending upward rapidly.

Japan
might be one of the safer countries to be in right now. A year from now, it could be different.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
it wasn't Japan's decision. it was the IOC

Well that sucks although I wonder if Japan would want to delay another year anyways. I really don't know Japan is so much more worried compared to other nations who were hit so much harder by the virus.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
If the 4th or 5th wave of COVID hits a year from now do you postpone it to 2023?

Did it ever occur to you that we might be facing the theta or lambda variant?

Does it matter if the vaccination rates are high? If most people have gotten both shots by next year then what does it matter if you have another hundred variants coming unless some of those variants become more dangerous which seems to be not very likely.

I just think it really takes away from the experience from both the athletes and viewers when there's no one in the stands to cheer for them and to share in the excitement.

I hope that we aren't, but COVID-19 has been running for 1.5 years so far. I don't see an end in sight.

Florida, California and Oklahoma had huge increases in the last month. India, Brazil, France, Russia and the UK are also trending upward rapidly.

Japan
might be one of the safer countries to be in right now. A year from now, it could be different.

The only reason there isn't an end in sight is because some nations are still overly scared despite vaccines being widely available now. Japan has placed the least amount of restrictions on its citizens throughout the pandemic compared to places like Canada or in Australia where a small uptick in cases in Sydney is enough for yet another lockdown again.

People need to stop being so afraid of the virus especially if they've gotten their shots and start living life as before again because that's been the supposed endgame all along. Vaccination means protection which equals not being afraid of the virus anymore unless something drastic changes.

Also its weird that they won't allow fans to attend even outdoor events to see the games when the risk of spread is so minimal and are far away from the athletes and yet during the road races they allow spectators to get within mere feet of the racers and that's perfectly fine for some reason. :dunno:

Such is the case with covid where the rules and restrictions are never consistent or make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad