Opening Ceremony - Fri July 23rd - 7AM ET

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No fun and culture in the opening ceremony. In my years of being an Olympic fan, I have never seen anything like that. Whoever scrapped that should be ashamed.

Reactions: Filppula

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
No fun and culture in the opening ceremony. In my years of being an Olympic fan, I have never seen anything like that. Whoever scrapped that should be ashamed.

Japan is a pretty straight arrowed no nonsense nation. I am not sure there was much in there to begin with TBH. I think they were always going to kind of go with whatever the world theme was at the moment.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Japan is a pretty straight arrowed no nonsense nation. I am not sure there was much in there to begin with TBH. I think they were always going to kind of go with whatever the world theme was at the moment.
I remember the Abe video when the Olympic flag was given to the Mayor of Tokyo. Didn't look like no nonsense to me.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I would have preferred some legend from a fringe sport or someone on his last leg. Beautiful cauldron, though.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy

Because of COVID, I fear they decided to scrap almost all sort of funny or cute things, even if integral part of their culture. I heard the italian commentary that they even thought of not mentioning the word "celebration" because of the ongoing pandemics. There were a couple of amusing moments but nothing like we should expect from Japan: anime characters, video games etc... They are part of japanese culture as much as the kabuki theatre.
So yeah, we can thank COVID for this... ehm... sober Opening Ceremony. Miss the times I was packed in the London Olympic Stadium with other 80k pips going crazy during that glorious Opening Ceremony...

Last edited:

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Naomi Osaka lighting up the Olympic cauldron has the same energy as Cathy Freeman lighting up the Olympic cauldron in 2000

Reactions: Jussi

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Naomi Osaka lighting up the Olympic cauldron has the same energy as Cathy Freeman lighting up the Olympic cauldron in 2000

An Ainu athlete could have been. Osaka only briefly lived in Japan as an infant and is not really even a part of the visible minorities in the country.

Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
She's literally Japan's biggest sports star globally.
Cathy Freeman being (arguably, there was the Thorpedo) the biggest star of Australia is only half the reason that this moment was iconic. Also, Osaka lived her entire life in the States.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Really? I mean. the Cathy Freeman lighting the torch was such an emotional moment especially because of what it represented for the aboriginal people and Australians at that moment and it was just so... Olympic. (even though the torch had a malfunction).

I didn't really get that sense with Osaka.

I have to say it was a really simple Opening Ceremonies, which... i think it is okay. It wasn't as EPIC as Beijing's or historically griping like Athens, or just... pompous/long like Atlanta, or super culturally awesome like London's, or PAARRTAAAY! Like Rios and I think it's sort of representative of where we are as a world right now. Simple and to the point and just getting things done. It would have been interesting to see it last year (BC19) and if it would have been a bit more grandiose. Maybe it would have ALWAYS been like this who knows.

This is gonna be a weird games, and I think it's kinda reflective in the Ceremonies. I mean i doubt this is gonna be on anyone's top 10 (or 5 ) list of overall ceremonies but i still think it was kinda good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad