Opening Ceremony - Fri July 23rd - 7AM ET

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
That had to be the shortest artistic program prior to the parade of nations ever. Typically its close to 2 hours and then there is a small bit after the parade and then the lighting. Seems Japan chose to have a longer stretch after the parade of nations

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Has anyone heard that story? The creative director of the opening ceremony was fired after he wanted to dress an overweight woman in a pig costume and make her perform as the Olympig. Jawdropping.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Has anyone heard that story? The creative director of the opening ceremony was fired after he wanted to dress an overweight woman in a pig costume and make her perform as the Olympig. Jawdropping.

Yeah that may have resulted in stuff being changed too. I have no idea though why they could not fill the stadium half way though. Many countries bar athletes from attending if they compete the next day and most athletes in general just opt not to show. Poland is one country which does not allow athletes competing the next day to attend which is why Iga Swiatek is not one of their flag bearers.

Sep 19, 2008
That had to be the shortest artistic program prior to the parade of nations ever. Typically its close to 2 hours and then there is a small bit after the parade and then the lighting. Seems Japan chose to have a longer stretch after the parade of nations
Yeah they were looking to make it more somber after covid

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah that may have resulted in stuff being changed too. I have no idea though why they could not fill the stadium half way though. Many countries bar athletes from attending if they compete the next day and most athletes in general just opt not to show. Poland is one country which does not allow athletes competing the next day to attend which is why Iga Swiatek is not one of their flag bearers.
Probably to appease the population. Only 18% vaccinated, 80% disapproval of the games happening, prior to the games, basically the island of Japan was quarantined, only people living there being allowed in. I can't blame them for being cautious.

Nice flag dance by the Portuguese carriers, by the way.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Probably to appease the population. Only 18% vaccinated, 80% disapproval of the games happening, prior to the games, basically the island of Japan was quarantined, only people living there being allowed in. I can't blame them for being cautious.

Nice flag dance by the Portuguese carriers, by the way.

It will be interesting to see what China does. They are a fairly wealthy country so I don't know if they necessarily give a crap if they have empty stadiums or not but they are also very vain so the thought of being embarrassed by no spectators might be too much for them. Its just unlikely though in the dead of the northern hemisphere winter that covid still won't be a major problem.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It will be interesting to see what China does. They are a fairly wealthy country so I don't know if they necessarily give a crap if they have empty stadiums or not but they are also very vain so the thought of being embarrassed by no spectators might be too much for them. Its just unlikely though in the dead of the northern hemisphere winter that covid still won't be a major problem.
Too early to say.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Also several other members of that team had to go because of unrelated rather unfortunate incidents, the most recent because of his old Let's play Holocaust! "comedy" video.

These are two different people and incidents. Yet another member responsible for the music had to go because of bullying.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
BTW it is believed Naomi Osaka will light the cauldron. It was widely thought it would be Hideki Matsuyama but Osaka had her match tomorrow moved to the next day last minute so its possible Matsuyama who had covid recently had to be replaced.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
The first part was the shortest I've ever seen, guess that it didn't feel really to celebrate big after the pandemics. Drones globe was cool af!

I'm so pissed, I should have been there in Tokyo but no, COVID had to f*** me up for the second time! :banghead:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Shame the grand scope of Japanese culture can not be seen in the ceremony.

Even a mention of Goku and the Dragonballs would be nice. :laugh:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
BTW it is believed Naomi Osaka will light the cauldron. It was widely thought it would be Hideki Matsuyama but Osaka had her match tomorrow moved to the next day last minute so its possible Matsuyama who had covid recently had to be replaced.
At least tennis is an Olympic sport. Does Osaka speak Japanese?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad