Opening 2 months of the season

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Anyone want to change their mind after last night.

I see the season going a lot like last night. Habs play well, but are let down by special teams and stupid mistakes.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
From the Xman thread, thought it can make a good discussion.

The teams first 2 months are pretty brutal.

TOR/Pens/LA/Pens/DET/STL/OTT/CAL/BUF/Bos/Dal

Was/TB/NYI/NYR/BUF/LV/EDM/CAL/VAN/WASH/NJ/BUF/BOS/CAR

Thats 25 games from October 3rd to the end of November.

I bolded the games the team could/should win. and I think I am being genrous.

Last year the team started 1-6-1 and that essentially set the tone for the entire season. The habs first 8 games really only have 2 that look winnable, and even DET might/Ottawa aren't gurantees of anything.

I am looking at probably a 8-17 record at best IMO.
A 2-1-1 start and playing 3 of those games against powerhouses in Toronto and Pittsburgh, everybody has to be pleased with this start. The team is fun to watch, fast and hardworking.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
A 2-1-1 start and playing 3 of those games against powerhouses in Toronto and Pittsburgh, everybody has to be pleased with this start. The team is fun to watch, fast and hardworking.

Thanks for the bump of this thread.

I have to say I did not expect this, I don't think anyone did. I thought we would be 0-4, or 0-3-1 at best. Amazing start to the season and way better than last year.

Next 3 games are "easy". While nothing is "easy" in the NHL, habs have a chance to go 2-1 or even 2-0-1. Not saying we have points in the bank but if the team plays hard they can pick up 2 more wins.

Last year habs started 1-6-1, already guaranteed to be better than that with 2 wins.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Thanks for the bump of this thread.

I have to say I did not expect this, I don't think anyone did. I thought we would be 0-4, or 0-3-1 at best. Amazing start to the season and way better than last year.

Next 3 games are "easy". While nothing is "easy" in the NHL, habs have a chance to go 2-1 or even 2-0-1. Not saying we have points in the bank but if the team plays hard they can pick up 2 more wins.

Last year habs started 1-6-1, already guaranteed to be better than that with 2 wins.
Oh we can lose to anyteam. Parity in the league. But club is better than we thought. I see them sliding a little and finishing around .500

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Oh we can lose to anyteam. Parity in the league. But club is better than we thought. I see them sliding a little and finishing around .500

The bottom can fall out at anytime, but I do think this team would get a boost with Weber on it. I am not going to change my prediction of them being at the bottom just yet, but if they continue this play and Weber comes back they will make the playoffs.

Still think goals will be hard to come by and we will see a lot more LA games than Pitts games.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Habs can improve their PP to top 10, we might be a playoff team. They’re showing they have the tenacity that Vegas showed last year plus they have Price, Weber and a very talented forward group. I just feel that with their new style, they can get a lot more PP opportunities which they can use to get a goal or two per game. If they could do that like the team in the not to distant past did, teams wouldn’t take penalties leaving us with more room to generate offence or more chances to score on the man advantage.

Hope Weber can improve that but Drouin, Domi, Tatar and Koko should be enough now to make us a top 10 team. Weber would help us to be a top 5 PP team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Nice start, team is playing about as well as could be expected.

If they can maintain the effort & intensity through the season, that will be fantastic.

Results-wise, the lack of talent & depth in the organization will most likely get exposed as the season wears on and injuries/adversity unfold, and its hard to see this roster competing effectively as teams bear down for the playoffs and games get more physical later in the season.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I still don’t really buy the team as being a real playoff team. The one team that we played that had a good defense shut us out. Pittsburgh and Toronto aren’t good defensively.

I think this goes one of two ways: either we continue playing well into December and then hit that usual December wall where we taper off, or when things start stabilizing league wide after all the crazy starts, we start tapering off then (so, November or so?).

I still think we’re a bottom-5-to-10 team even when Weber comes back. Only thing that changes my mind is if Price is absolutely dominant again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->