Open markets - Not another contraction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Is it time to remove the concept of a "location agreement" from the NHL?

Given that Toronto(GTA) has 10x the population of an Edmonton or Calgary, allowing a free market move or expansion into Toronto would improve league revenues, and reduce ticket prices, parking, board advertising, in TO.

This would be good for the fans, as the increased competition should lower ticket costs. It would be good for local businesses, as it would decrease marketing costs, and provide more local employment. It would be good for the players, increasing revenues, which would improve the share. It would be good for the other 29 owners. As the current NHL is composed of 30 equal partners, would it not make more sense to remove the location agreement than contract teams?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
victor said:

Given that Toronto(GTA) has 10x the population of an Edmonton or Calgary, allowing a free market move or expansion into Toronto would improve league revenues, and reduce ticket prices, parking, board advertising, in TO.

This would be good for the fans, as the increased competition should lower ticket costs. It would be good for local businesses, as it would decrease marketing costs, and provide more local employment. It would be good for the players, increasing revenues, which would improve the share. It would be good for the other 29 owners. As the current NHL is composed of 30 equal partners, would it not make more sense to remove the location agreement than contract teams?

where would you put the team????

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
victor said:

Correction.

Toronto is a Maple Leafs city. Other teams haven't fared nearly as well in the city.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
London Knights said:
Correction.

Toronto is a Maple Leafs city. Other teams haven't fared nearly as well in the city.

exactly my point... you can't put another team in Toronto we not New York where there divided with Long Island...

you can put a team in North York or Mississauga.. how about woodbridge??? lol

victor

Sep 6, 2003
joepeps said:
exactly my point... you can't put another team in Toronto we not New York where there divided with Long Island...

you can put a team in North York or Mississauga.. how about woodbridge??? lol

I'm sure that a suitable location could be found, and that a new facility could be constructed (TO should be able to support two ACC size type venues)

As to the other teams that have not done well - how many were NHL teams? If the new team came equipped with a few young stars, a marketing budget, and all of the revenues from the facility, could they sway enough fans to split the Maple Leafs market?

Spungo*

Timmy said:
Barrie.

Concert capital, and now hockey capital, of Canada.

What an embarrassment that was. Toronto REALLY dropped the ball on that one. The mayor and the tourism board are nothing but a bunch of goofs.

London
Tokyo
Paris
Rome
Moscow and...

Barrie!!!

WTF???

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
joepeps said:
where would you put the team????

Hamilton.

They have an arena, they could draw fans from London Guelph Waterloo and western Toronto pretty easily.

Only real problem is that it would probably kill the Buffalo team.

p.s. who do you have in mind for this new location (please don't say that you want the league to expand even more)?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I totally agree with this. "territorial rights" are a load of BS. Especally when it comes to cities like Hamilton, Seattle, Baltimore, etc. It's one thing to complain about having two Toronto teams, but to claim "territorial rights" because another city is within driving distance is total nonsense. Also, I think it would be great if Chicago got another team (maybe in Urbana?) to stick it to Wirtz.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Epsilon said:
I totally agree with this. "territorial rights" are a load of BS. Especally when it comes to cities like Hamilton, Seattle, Baltimore, etc. It's one thing to complain about having two Toronto teams, but to claim "territorial rights" because another city is within driving distance is total nonsense. Also, I think it would be great if Chicago got another team (maybe in Urbana?) to stick it to Wirtz.
The idea that Seattle wouldn't support a team because of the Canucks' proximity always struck me as total bs.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
As far as Expansion/Relocation goes, it looks like Kansas City is the front runner with their plans to build an arena in the city in a few years.

However, by the looks of things Relocation looks like a dead cause now that the Penguins and Ducks have found reassurance that their clubs will stay put for now

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
futurcorerock said:
However, by the looks of things Relocation looks like a dead cause now that the Penguins and Ducks have found reassurance that their clubs will stay put for now

I wouldn't be so sure of that. We have yet to see the full effects of the lockout on attendance. What if a market like Carolina never recovers from the year off, never again able to draw more than 4,000 fans to any game? Contraction won't happen, but at least he NHL has an out in future relocation of those markets which have been irrevicably damaged. I still think Kansas City is going to get an NBA team rather than an NHL team, but it's good to know that there are a handful of good relocation possibilities for the NHL beyond KC: (Houston, Portland, Winnipeg, Las Vegas immediately come to mind).

Slapshot17

Aug 29, 2004
Prince George
If you were going to put another team in the Toronto area I think it would be smarter to just go up the QEW and put a team in Hamilton. It's a natural rivalry, although it would probably hurt Buffalo, but the question remains of how long that Franchise can last there.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
katodelder said:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. We have yet to see the full effects of the lockout on attendance. What if a market like Carolina never recovers from the year off, never again able to draw more than 4,000 fans to any game? Contraction won't happen, but at least he NHL has an out in future relocation of those markets which have been irrevicably damaged. I still think Kansas City is going to get an NBA team rather than an NHL team, but it's good to know that there are a handful of good relocation possibilities for the NHL beyond KC: (Houston, Portland, Winnipeg, Las Vegas immediately come to mind).
Just a difference in opinion... I think the Canes will be able to draw with a revamped game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad