Open Letter to the Hockey Gods

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You actually have to look at our plus minus last year we were -102 this year we are like -35, that is quite the improvement

Actually, -85 last year and this year -40 this year and getting larger. Could be -50 by the end of the year. Not quite as big an improvement as you think.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Actually, -85 last year and this year -40 this year and getting larger. Could be -50 by the end of the year. Not quite as big an improvement as you think.
A 35 difference is the gap between us and 16th in the league in goal differential. It's also the difference between 16 and 3rd.

That's a massive improvement

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
It's kind of funny that we win the draft lottery so often but are so unlucky in everywhere else. We only need to win the second lottery this year I'd rather have Laine than Matthews anyways the rest of the luck used for the first pick can go to injury prevention

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
What we need to do is find the Native American good luck charm that was given to the team after beating the ducks in the 06 playoffs and burn it.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Now I'm 100% sure Mrs. Pronger left some voodoo relic in the dressing room before they bolted out of town.

:sarcasm:I have a theory that Chris Pronger knocked someone up during his tenure here and this "love child" is the key to it all. Said child must be found and after that I'm not sure whether the solution is a public burning like in Game of Thrones or some sort of concoction using the child's blood. I'll leave that up to the profession curse breakers.:sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
:sarcasm:I have a theory that Chris Pronger knocked someone up during his tenure here and this "love child" is the key to it all. Said child must be found and after that I'm not sure whether the solution is a public burning like in Game of Thrones or some sort of concoction using the child's blood. I'll leave that up to the profession curse breakers.:sarcasm:

That child is what? 10? Once that child turns the age of 18 the Oilers with unknowingly draft that player in the 2024 NHL draft (1st overall of course). That will end the curse That will bring everything full circle. Oilers will then go on to have 10 cups in 11 years

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
To all you staying positive kudos to you.

I'm just so annoyed by these losers that I refuse to believe anything will ever change.

I hope next year I don't have these feelings of disgust and pity for the team I cheer for.

Maybe new arena will break the curse but right now this a team I hate to love.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That child is what? 10? Once that child turns the age of 18 the Oilers with unknowingly draft that player in the 2024 NHL draft (1st overall of course). That will end the curse That will bring everything full circle. Oilers will then go on to have 10 cups in 11 years

Not sure if we can beat McDavid and the Leafs 10 out of 11 years, but Stamkos will be old then, so who knows.:laugh:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A 35 difference is the gap between us and 16th in the league in goal differential. It's also the difference between 16 and 3rd.

That's a massive improvement

Our goal differential is tied for the worst in the league. We are also in 29th place.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Our goal differential is tied for the worst in the league. We are also in 29th place.

Exactly... The thing was that last season there were two obviously tanking teams... Buffalo and Arizona who were basically competing to see who could win the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

This season... the crappy teams have improved along with the Oilers... so the Oilers in relative terms are actually worse off than they were last year with the worst goal differential in the league now.

Improvement is only improvement if you are actually better than other teams... what teams are the Oilers actually better than? Toronto maybe... and that's about it (and they are basically a rebuilding/tanking team as well).

Fairy McGodfather

Liquored & Cynical
Feb 5, 2016
Rural Saskatchewan
Exactly... The thing was that last season there were two obviously tanking teams... Buffalo and Arizona who were basically competing to see who could win the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes.

This season... the crappy teams have improved along with the Oilers... so the Oilers in relative terms are actually worse off than they were last year with the worst goal differential in the league now.

Improvement is only improvement if you are actually better than other teams... what teams are the Oilers actually better than? Toronto maybe... and that's about it (and they are basically a rebuilding/tanking team as well).

I just read this sober. Now I really want to go to the hotel and get a cube and get Nikitin'd. Good post

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

They might be better than Toronto and Vancouver now, maybe. A long way to go to be competitive next year, unless some of those other teams take backward steps.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I dislike the term "Hockey Gods", because that was a heavily used Eakins term used as a scapegoat for his incompetence.

So I would prefer the general term "puck luck" or just "the curse" if you will.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Heard something interesting today. Maybe the packed schedule we've had as a club this season has taken more of a toll than on our records. Playing all of those big-bodied western conference teams continuously, especially in the first half of the season, might have affected the players physically and have a relation to the injuries to a certain extent this season.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Heard something interesting today. Maybe the packed schedule we've had as a club this season has taken more of a toll than on our records. Playing all of those big-bodied western conference teams continuously, especially in the first half of the season, might have affected the players physically and have a relation to the injuries to a certain extent this season.

I've always thought that the 'early season road trip from hell' that the team always embarked on due to the CFR at Rexall every year has had a negative effect on the team.

Hopefully, that will end with the new stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad