Value of: Open Auction for Gustav Nyquist

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
OP asked for 2nd round pick. MTL's 2nd round pick is most likely a high one. Shaw contract needs to go the other way to take in Nyquist's contract. Could absorb 500k off of Shaw (so you get him at 3.4m). So no, not a joke.

We have Abdelkader. Not giving up Nyquist to add on another bum with a long term contract... For a 2nd.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Should've moved Nyquist a year or two ago. These are some pretty underwhelming offers.
When Nyquist for Vatanen was popular around here that would have been the perfect time. I'd feel so much better about our team if that has happened.

That being said it is an auction so prices should go up. A 2nd is already pretty decent.

Reactions: njx9

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Wouldn't accept any of these offers so far. We're rebuilding and need picks and prospects (aka a shot at top line talent), not more 3rd/4th line players, we have plenty of those.

Gus could be a second line winger on a playoff team, looking for a late first closer to the TDL.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
When Nyquist for Vatanen was popular around here that would have been the perfect time. I'd feel so much better about our team if that has happened.

That being said it is an auction so prices should go up. A 2nd is already pretty decent.

Yeah, totally. I'd *take* a second, but man is it hard not to feel like a 50-ish point guy (had we traded him right around the time he decided to stop shooting) ought to get a first.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Richard Panik and Arizona’s 2018 2nd.

The 2nd is going to be much earlier in the draft than the Dallas 2nd.

Panik is also a pending UFA but helps AZ move out 2.8m in actual salary to help them afford the 5.5m in actual salary Nyquist is still owed.

Panik is very streaky and has a low cap hit. If he gets hot right before the deadline, Detroit could potentially get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. Especially if they retain salary.

The Coyotes are desperate for goals and desperate to actually compete and play meaningful games late in the season. They’re off to another horrendous start and they have to do SOMETHING to change course. Adding a well-known veteran scorer might be just the thing.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Richard Panik and Arizona’s 2018 2nd.

The 2nd is going to be much earlier in the draft than the Dallas 2nd.

Panik is also a pending UFA but helps AZ move out 2.8m in actual salary to help them afford the 5.5m in actual salary Nyquist is still owed.

Panik is very streaky and has a low cap hit. If he gets hot right before the deadline, Detroit could potentially get a 3rd or 4th round pick for him. Especially if they retain salary.

The Coyotes are desperate for goals and desperate to actually compete and play meaningful games late in the season. They’re off to another horrendous start and they have to do SOMETHING to change course. Adding a well-known veteran scorer might be just the thing.

I have Panik on my fantasy team... looks like hes been demoted down the lineup... is he getting unlucky, or is he playing poorly? (P.S. best offer so far)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Scherbak + Shaw + 3rd round pick 2019 from Montreal.

Reason: Could use more offense. This gives Scherbak a chance to finally succeed with an actual rebuilding team and Shaw to bring some feist.
It's a decent offer, I'm not sure I would do that as a Habs fan

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I really don't get the hesitation about Nyquist.

Since the last one got beat, I'd do Ritchie + lottery-protected 1st from Dallas at the deadline, assuming we're in a decent playoff position at the time. If you want someone a bit younger than Ritchie, maybe Dickinson would work.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I really don't get the hesitation about Nyquist.

Since the last one got beat, I'd do Ritchie + lottery-protected 1st from Dallas at the deadline, assuming we're in a decent playoff position at the time. If you want someone a bit younger than Ritchie, maybe Dickinson would work.

Protected 1st and Dickinson?

Best so far.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I have Panik on my fantasy team... looks like hes been demoted down the lineup... is he getting unlucky, or is he playing poorly? (P.S. best offer so far)
He's been asleep. He does that, it seems. Streaky guy in all facets. Sometimes he's really involved in the play, is physically assertive and piles up points. Other times, he sleepwalks and doesn't even break a sweat.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Would Nyquist waive for a team that has no shot at the playoffs

Why wouldn't he? Opportunity to put up more points on a non-moribund offense/i.e. earn a better contract next year? Seems like a great way to go. He's certainly not "only waiving for a cup contender" - that's ridiculous.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why wouldn't he? Opportunity to put up more points on a non-moribund offense/i.e. earn a better contract next year? Seems like a great way to go. He's certainly not "only waiving for a cup contender" - that's ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous at all, He's not waiving for a non-playoff team it's just that simple. He'll remain in Detroit before he does that. Maybe he wont go to a cup contender. But he'll definitely go to a team that has a chance of winning the cup. Can see Boston as a possible destination.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Nyquist could be revived in a new surrounding. He has a lit more talent than he has showed the past couple of years.

Nyquist for San Jose's 2nd (cond.) & 3rd 2019.

If SJ reaches the conference final, the 2nd becomes a 1st.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Nyquist could be revived in a new surrounding. He has a lit more talent than he has showed the past couple of years.

Nyquist for San Jose's 2nd (cond.) & 3rd 2019.

If SJ reaches the conference final, the 2nd becomes a 1st.

I'd be into something like this if the Sharks had any 1sts left to trade.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It's not ridiculous at all, He's not waiving for a non-playoff team it's just that simple. He'll remain in Detroit before he does that. Maybe he wont go to a cup contender. But he'll definitely go to a team that has a chance of winning the cup. Can see Boston as a possible destination.

So, "because I said so even though I can't actually articulate a single, solitary reason for it that makes any sense, whatsoever." Great. Good luck with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->