OOT Scoreboard 2019 Stanley Cup PLAYOFFS II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I thought he played a good game tonight.

No chance on either goal.

Sharks were the better team again, as they have been in all the games this playoffs, outside of games 2 and 6 against Vegas.

All they need is a solid effort in net and occasionally they'll need him to stand on his head when they look like trash, like in game 6 of the last series.
He played better than good, hence my comment.

You've been absolutely trashing the dude all season and he's finally stepping up when it matters.

I guess I was just trying to goad a more impassioned response from you.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He played better than good, hence my comment.

You've been absolutely trashing the dude all season and he's finally stepping up when it matters.

I guess I was just trying to goad a more impassioned response from you.
I'm not eating crow on a goalie that's been bad all year for playing well.

It's the same thing with you people (not you personally) asking me to eat crow on Schneider for a good 17 games that proceeded 100 poor ones (and a 25-30 game stretch that was the worst an NHL goalie has had in probably at least a decade).

It's like I said with Mrazek too. A bad goalie (or mediocre one) can have a hot stretch and vice versa (a good one can have a bad stretch), sometimes it's in the playoffs and sometimes it's not.

I don't think Jones is as bad as he played this regular season and for much of the Vegas series, but he's still no better than average. There's no need to champion every good streak from a goalie (or not just at the goalie position, any position) and try and get people to throw their hands up in the air and say they were were wrong. This is also how we start hyping up trash like Keith Kinkaid for 20 game hot streaks, before he has 40 games of .891%.

Jones is an average goalie that had a horrendous season and he's an average goalie that's had a good 4 game stretch, that followed a really horrendous 4 games.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for tonight

Hurricanes vs Islanders: 1 goal against Lehner, no chance. Mrazek gets the shutout.

Avalanche vs Sharks: 4 goals against Grubauer, no chance on any. 2 goals against Jones, no chance on either. The Labanc goal on Grubauer is one I'd normally count as a stoppable goal, but with all the moves that Labanc made just deking and curling around before taking the shot, I wouldn't nail Grubauer on that one. Grubauer didn't even flinch until the shot was just about past him. It's not like Labanc skated straight through and fired a shot.

So that's 7 goals scored on goalies tonight, 0 are stoppable. That's 0% of tonight's goals were stoppable. Combined save percentages were .940%. No stoppable goals tonight, no softy of the night tonight.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Fair enough.
For what it's worth, I did pick the Sharks to win this series in 6 games before it started. I figured if they could get through the first round with Jones, they could go far.

They don't even need Jones to stand on his head (although they sure did in game 6 and to an extent in game 5), they just need him to be solid.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The only series I was conflicted on who to pick the winner of in this round was Hurricanes/Islanders.

I figured that I had shat on the Islanders all year, giving them absolutely no chance to make the playoffs. I picked Pittsburgh to beat them in round one, even though I said in 7 games and stressed the Islanders would be competitive. I picked the Capitals to beat the Hurricanes in 7 games in round one, while stressing Carolina would be competitive. There were many people that thought this would be a squash match after the Caps went up 2 games to 0 after those first two games.

So I figured since I gave the Islanders no chance before, why not give them a little respect and take them seriously this round and pick them in 7? It could go either way.

I didn't think Boston over Columbus would be a quick knockout, but I wasn't too conflicted in picking Boston. At least not as conflicted as I was in picking the Islanders. So I went with Boston in 7.

I had zero hesitation in picking St. Louis over Dallas. That's why I picked St. Louis in 6 and not 7. I can't pick a team that has Roman Polak playing almost 20 minutes a night and always gets crushed in shots. I figure the analytics community heavily picked against Dallas this round too. I picked Nashville to beat Dallas in 6 last round, but Nashville was overrated, including by me. It's now becoming easy to forget that they were in the cup finals 2 years ago.

I took the Sharks over the Avalanche in 6. I think San Jose is the deeper team here. And I even picked Colorado to beat Calgary in round one and San Jose to lose to Vegas in round one. The Sharks beating the Golden Knights (as unclean as it was in the end) gave me some new perspective.

Reactions: Dialamo

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The only series I was conflicted on who to pick the winner of in this round was Hurricanes/Islanders.

I figured that I had shat on the Islanders all year, giving them absolutely no chance to make the playoffs. I picked Pittsburgh to beat them in round one, even though I said in 7 games and stressed the Islanders would be competitive. I picked the Capitals to beat the Hurricanes in 7 games in round one, while stressing Carolina would be competitive. There were many people that thought this would be a squash match after the Caps went up 2 games to 0 after those first two games.

So I figured since I gave the Islanders no chance before, why not give them a little respect and take them seriously this round and pick them in 7? It could go either way.

I didn't think Boston over Columbus would be a quick knockout, but I wasn't too conflicted in picking Boston. At least not as conflicted as I was in picking the Islanders. So I went with Boston in 7.

I had zero hesitation in picking St. Louis over Dallas. That's why I picked St. Louis in 6 and not 7. I can't pick a team that has Roman Polak playing almost 20 minutes a night and always gets crushed in shots. I figure the analytics community heavily picked against Dallas this round too. I picked Nashville to beat Dallas in 6 last round, but Nashville was overrated, including by me. It's now becoming easy to forget that they were in the cup finals 2 years ago.

I took the Sharks over the Avalanche in 6. I think San Jose is the deeper team here. And I even picked Colorado to beat Calgary in round one and San Jose to lose to Vegas in round one. The Sharks beating the Golden Knights (as unclean as it was in the end) gave me some new perspective.
I enjoyed reading your summary.

For what it's worth I believe Columbus will annihilate Boston going forward and St Louis will handily coast their way to a meeting with a grimy [in a good way] Sharks team.

Rawly and reluctant Brooklyn? Drop a potato and a tomato off of a bridge and see which lands first.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I enjoyed reading your summary.

For what it's worth I believe Columbus will annihilate Boston going forward and St Louis will handily coast their way to a meeting with a grimy [in a good way] Sharks team.

Rawly and reluctant Brooklyn? Drop a potato and a tomato off of a bridge and see which lands first.
I know you’re high on Columbus and I do think the team they have now is much better than the team they went into the deadline with. I picked Boston in 7, but if I pick a team in 7, it usually means I’m not surprised if it goes the other way.

If Toronto somehow got past Boston, and I don’t know how they would have without Rask just being very bad (I thought Andersen and Rask were dead even in that series until game 7 where Rask was much better), but I would have picked Columbus in 5 or 6. I think Boston would have had to serve up a dud for Toronto to get past them.

Camille the Eel

regarding Carolina -

Notice how different their offensive tactics are right now than earlier in the season. At the start of the year they were among the league leaders, if not the leader, in average shots on goal. They were throwing everything at the net, just bombarding the opposition with shots. But with little discrimination as to shot quality; a lot came from the outside, or from the sides. And every shot taken is potentially a turn over in possession if the puck doesn't get through or gets saved easily.

In my eyes, watching these playoffs, they have become much much much more careful about puck possession. Even when they get hosed in the face off circle, as they did last night, they dominate the flow of play by keeping the puck on their sticks. Partly it's a neutral ice trap that lets them get possession again; partly it's Slavin and the other D's skill at gaining possession quickly and breaking out of their own end - but they are not just throwing the puck at the opposition net and turning it over that way either. They are patiently holding on to it. Shot totals are down somewhat, but quality is way up. They hold the biscuit, skate and try to do something real with it instead of just mindlessly flinging it at the opposition net.

Reactions: sabremike

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Pastrnak is playing like the entire Tampa team did. Not a playoff performer at all. Too soft, too fancy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Lovejoy out there to defend the 1 goal lead with under a minute to play and makes a nice defensive play and clear with St. Louis buzzing. Benn gave him a hug on the bench after they scored the empty netter to seal it. Good for the Reverend. They have him in an ideal role

He’s playing his way into a contract for next year.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That Duschesne interview, "this was not a fun game to play in" - who says that? Who really feels that? Dude is such a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad