OOT Scoreboard 2019 Stanley Cup PLAYOFFS II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i know i'm in the minority here with the penalty but i'll just leave this

"The referees called a crosschecking penalty for an infraction that caused a significant injury," series supervisor Don VanMassenhoven said. "In their judgment, the infraction and its result merited a major penalty."

exactly the right call imo. if pavalski doesn't get hurt i really doubt they even call a penalty but you gotta call that if the guy is bleeding being helped off the ice

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I'm glad it happened too...Golden Knights, welcome to the Mickey Mouse club

I'm not worried about them, they have a good club and good coach, and have accomplished more than any expansion team has in such a short period of time.
...because the NHL has rigged the expansion draft and the officiating for them to succeed. I’ve hated them a year before they started playing. Not a single thing about VGK is admirable.

Also I’m 100% convinced that they got Marshy, Rielly, and Gallant as an under-the-table favor between two West Point brat owners. I’m going to enjoy having a heart attack from all their salt.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
...because the NHL has rigged the expansion draft and the officiating for them to succeed. I’ve hated them a year before they started playing. Not a single thing about VGK is admirable.

Also I’m 100% convinced that they got Marshy, Rielly, and Gallant as an under-the-table favor between two West Point brat owners. I’m going to enjoy having a heart attack from all their salt.

If the NHL rigged Vegas to succeed, than they rigged our team to succeed.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

"The referees called a crosschecking penalty for an infraction that caused a significant injury," series supervisor Don VanMassenhoven said. "In their judgment, the infraction and its result merited a major penalty."

exactly the right call imo. if pavalski doesn't get hurt i really doubt they even call a penalty but you gotta call that if the guy is bleeding being helped off the ice

They have called 5 minute majors for injuries all season long. It is in the rulebook that the Referee can issue a 5 minute major depending on the severity. I question whether the fans complaining about it watched hockey during the regular season.

Eakins is completely brain-dead. Crosschecking someone to the ground so you can win a faceoff - with the ref 1 foot away looking directly at you - should be grounds for concussion protocol. Nobody with a brain functioning normally would attempt it.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
They have called 5 minute majors for injuries all season long. It is in the rulebook that the Referee can issue a 5 minute major depending on the severity. I question whether the fans complaining about it watched hockey during the regular season.

Eakins is completely brain-dead. Crosschecking someone to the ground so you can win a faceoff - with the ref 1 foot away looking directly at you - should be grounds for concussion protocol. Nobody with a brain functioning normally would attempt it.
That cross check by Eakin happens in every single game, it wasn’t severe at all. The subsequent push caused the awkward fall which did the damage. There was no major infraction. At most there was a cross check and an interference.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
but you gotta call that if the guy is bleeding being helped off the ice

no you don’t. hockey is a dangerous sport, it’s a bunch of neanderthals flying around on an incredibly hard and unforgiving surface, surrounded by plexiglass. you can get hurt or bleed without anyone’s help, that doesn’t mean every one is a penalty.

i’d estimate that a similar play is made on (a minimum!!) 75% of all faceoffs. that’s barely a penalty, and certainly not a 5 minute major

Reactions: devilsblood

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Like I wrote before that crosscheck isn't what caused the damage. It's the interference by stastny. If I was a sharks fan I wouldn't be pissed at eakins, i would be pissed at stastny. The crosscheck wasn't even to the head.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
no you don’t. hockey is a dangerous sport, it’s a bunch of neanderthals flying around on an incredibly hard and unforgiving surface, surrounded by plexiglass. you can get hurt or bleed without anyone’s help, that doesn’t mean every one is a penalty.

i’d estimate that a similar play is made on (a minimum!!) 75% of all faceoffs. that’s barely a penalty, and certainly not a 5 minute major

there is no denying that but when the direct actions of a player causes blood then yes it should be penalized either 4 or 5 mins.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I don't know how you can say that. I don't even think he was necessarily the better goaltender in this game, the Sharks were just the better team.

Because the comment was referring to the prior game, in which the Sharks were absolutely dominated, and Jones stole the game.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That's really all that was called for a five-minute major in a Game 7?! Yikes...that's a two at most, maybe two seperate minors if you really want to push it.

It's either a double-minor or a 5 minute major.

I have no problems with the call as a two-handed, powerful, horizontal crosscheck to the sternum is brutal. The potential injury that could have been caused by that is far worse than what happened to Pavelski; it's a very dangerous play that needs to be punished.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The crosscheck wasn't even to the head.

Let someone take a fully-levered, two-armed, perfectly horizontal crosscheck directly to your sternum (where there's little padding) and we'll see if you still hold that opinion.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If the NHL rigged Vegas to succeed, than they rigged our team to succeed.

Oh, he's right about the expansion draft rules. They're absolutely ridiculous; and I've written about this in-depth on here before.

And it gets worse. In 2021 when Seattle enters the league, Vegas gets an exemption & is the only team that wont lose a good player!

Last edited:

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
I feel it is impossible to look at the incident as it occurred by evaluating any single action or factor. Both possible penalties by Eakins and Stastny taken separate do not seem severe enough to call a major. Its the combination of a crosscheck that mostly does not get called especially in the playoffs, with a player losing control of themselves mid air and falling violently, with Stastny looking like he sorta drives Pavelski into the ice though not really that hard, and a hurt, possible concussed, definitely bleeding player. Add that together and multiply it by the aggrieved fans and the tenor of the building shifting, the refs made a call that they probably should not have made but felt like they had to make. They had to have believed with the Sharks losing 3-0 and an incident like that the game could have gotten needlessly out of hand in the closing minutes without a call that favored the Sharks.

What resulted is not all on the refs, and the Knights saying otherwise might come to terms with that. Either way it was one of the most dramatic and unpredictable finishes I could have imagined.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
No, it doesnt, and yes, it was.

Did you have money on Vegas or something?
When I say ‘severe’I am saying it is not a major, sorry man. A hard crosscheck? Yes but that kind of stuff happens all the time throughout the season, it wasn’t something that was worth a major, not even close. My opinion stands, should have been 2 mins for cross check for Eakin and 2 mins for interference by Statsny. Two minor penalties is definitely a game changer, but its not as big as a major. The wrong call was clearly made.

Last edited:
Reactions: AfroThunder396

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Tonight’s game 7 I’m kindve torn. I don’t mind the Caps minus Wilson but they won last year so that continuing wouldn’t be a fun story. I would also very much so enjoy seeing the Caps vs their old coach in the Islanders. The Canes I don’t hate like the majority on here and they are a young and upcoming team. Definitely want a close game but even with Mr game 7 playing I just see this as a Caps dominated game whither I want it or not.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Tonight’s game 7 I’m kindve torn. I don’t mind the Caps minus Wilson but they won last year so that continuing wouldn’t be a fun story. I would also very much so enjoy seeing the Caps vs their old coach in the Islanders. The Canes I don’t hate like the majority on here and they are a young and upcoming team. Definitely want a close game but even with Mr game 7 playing I just see this as a Caps dominated game whither I want it or not.

Firmly rooting for the Canes tonight. Used to hate the team years back because of the playoff history and couldn't stand the term "Caniac", but I have family in the Carolina's that I got into hockey and are now huge Canes fans. Plus, they're a fun team to watch and it's easy to root for the underdog. I still think Washington takes it tonight, but would love to see another upset.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I have nothing against the Canes, mainly because I started following hockey as a 10 year old kid during 2009-2010 season so I knew little of the previous year's playoffs. They've sucked my entire hockey fan life. I'll be rooting for them tonight, they have quite a few likable players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->