Ontario Reign 2017/2018

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Apologies in advance if there was a more appropriate thread to ask this in but I figured the majority of these players appeared primarily for the Reign last year and probably next. Anyway, can you guys give me some insight into Kings players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Mike Amadio
Daniel Brickley
Justin Auger
Kurtis MacDermid
Oscar Fantenberg
Alex Iafallo
Andrew Crescenzi

And possibly just a quick update on what is expected from Paul Ladue and Kevin Gravel in the next season or two?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Apologies in advance if there was a more appropriate thread to ask this in but I figured the majority of these players appeared primarily for the Reign last year and probably next. Anyway, can you guys give me some insight into Kings players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Mike Amadio
Daniel Brickley
Justin Auger
Kurtis MacDermid
Oscar Fantenberg
Alex Iafallo
Andrew Crescenzi

And possibly just a quick update on what is expected from Paul Ladue and Kevin Gravel in the next season or two?

I'll do a short recap of each of the players that played for both the Reign and Kings (I intentionally did not do extensive write ups on those players since most people have seen them play a fair amount in the NHL) last season this week. I wrote up an evaluation on Crescenzi back a page or two.

Reactions: King Trouty

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Many of have you have had a good look at some of our prospects due to their significant time last season spent with the Kings. I thought I would do a short overview of the rest of the Reign players as these same prospects also played on the Kings last season.

Mike Amadio With little doubt, Amadio is clearly the best NHL ready forward prospect that played for both the Reign and Kings last year. While he has some improvements to make, his overall game is ready to go. There is nothing to prove for him going back to the AHL other than biding time, and he is the most likely player to make the Kings roster on opening day outside of Jack Campbell. Amadio is heavy on the puck, has an uncanny knack of getting his stick on the puck deflecting passes from opponents or winning puck battles in open ice, has a high hockey IQ (Stothers always said he never has to tell him anything twice), excellent passing vision and can carry the puck into the zone, evident by the fact that as a rookie with little experience, he often was the QB for the #2 power play unit on the Kings last year. His compete level needs to be more evident on a consistent basis, he should shoot more as he is a pass first guy but has a decent heavy release with his wrister, and his face off abilities are a work in progress. I would like to see a little more explosiveness on the first couple of skating strides. Amadio should be battling for the 3 or 4C on the Kings next season. He just turned 22 last month. A comparable player is Mike Richards, but without the edge in his physical play. Looks similar too, but has a larger frame.

Jonny Brodzinski Another player who could benefit the Kings if he makes the roster is Brodzinski. Due to his time in college, Brodzinski is no youngster as he turns 25 this week. He is a strong north south skater with an NHL release and likely one of the hardest and most accurate shots in the Kings organization. He plays a simple but effective game, more evident as his confidence grew with experience as he received more playing time at the next level. Brodzinski is not a world beater on his own, but if you team his with the proper linemates (read someone who can dish the puck), he can be an offensive weapon, otherwise he is just a forward eating minutes. Good compete level when he is on his game, not a great passer but competent. Confidence is a key factor in his game. Comparable to Toffoli in some ways with a bit less skill but a better skater.

Kurtis MacDermid We all know the story, a warrior that anyone would be proud to have in their locker room who will defend his teammates to the death, a feared fighter despite his youth when he drops the gloves, and the type of player the Kings are sorely lacking. But the reality is, his exposure to lapses in his game and defensive acumen, a lack of quickness (he does have decent north south speed, but his footwork and closure leave a lot to be desired), and difficulties getting the puck out of the zone exposed his game in the NHL. Not surprised though as these areas are a problem in the AHL too, he just wasn't exposed as consistently. The Kings rewarded this warrior with a chance to play at the next level, and it's hard to say if he'll ever make the jump again or if he can continue to make strides and improve. Plays his best when he goes into beast mode and puts fear into opponents, but struggles when he thinks instead of reacts in the subtle art of mastering the defensive position. MacDermid will have to clear waivers if he doesn't make the Kings out of camp, and now that he has had some NHL time, I wouldn't be totally shocked if a team took a chance on him if it fills a void in their organization. It would be a huge loss to the Reign.

Paul LaDue When LaDue did not make the Kings out of camp last year, many were surprised. But the fact is he didn't earn it as he had a poor preseason. That carried over into the first half of his AHL season as he play was competent, but less than stellar. He was outplayed by Gravel at the AHL level in the first half of the season. When things started to click, LaDue got hot, often burying his patented shot from just above the right hand face of circle into the upper left hand corner of the net, and his compete level became more aggressive as he could see his NHL dreams slowly disappearing. LaDue is just one of those guys that when he gets on the ice he produces offensively. It's pretty clear that Stevens has significant reservations about his defensive game and being undersized getting knocked off the players in his own zone, but there is little doubt he has some offensive talent. The question is, will Stevens give him that chance to play everyday or will he be relegated to the 7th D spot. He is likely to make the team as he has to clear waivers, and I don't think the Kings risk exposing him.

Kevin Gravel Kevin overcame serious medical issues over the previous summer and battled hard all year. He has become an unrestricted Group VI UFA due to his lack of NHL games and surplus of professional games, and all indications are the Kings are parting ways. Likely a career 6-7th D man or AHL player with some competent puck moving skills and a strong skater, but has a tendency to chase the puck. Good luck to Mr. Gravel.

Jack Campbell Obviously a huge season for Campbell as he has to prove he can handle the everyday back up role, and with Petersen breathing down his neck, he cannot afford to have a poor season in his first full NHL year. A competent goalie that relies on positioning and athleticism, he is very similar in stature to Quick, and is also known for some occasional acrobatic skill saves at the AHL level like Kings fans are used too with Quick. But Campbell will be smart to quiet his game, and he needs to improve his coverage on the short side as he is prone to give up goals there he should have stopped. As Kings fans witnessed, he is a confident and adept puck handler, something we are not used to. Campbell has a first round draft pick pedigree, and the more he played last year, the more he earned the Kings and the fans trust.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Really hope MacDermid is not lost to waivers.

Think he only had two fights, maybe only one, once he went back down to Ontario.

No surprise, but I'd rather risk losing Fantenberg than MacDermid. Guy is a real success story for himself and the Kings development staff just for the fact that he played in the NHL. Hope he has a great summer and another real good camp.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Word is that the Reign will be practicing and training this season in El Segundo at the Kings facility. Gives the NHL staff much more time with the players during the season, and better facilities. Players will still be living out near CBBA. Not sure how they will work out the logistics of that drive, it's horrendous at rush hour.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Word is that the Reign will be practicing and training this season in El Segundo at the Kings facility. Gives the NHL staff much more time with the players during the season, and better facilities. Players will still be living out near CBBA. Not sure how they will work out the logistics of that drive, it's horrendous at rush hour.

Get them some helicopters:laugh:

But seriously they'll need to leave reeeaaaal early or late for it to work imo

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
I'm glad they qualified MacDermid, Lintuniemi and LaDue. I was kind of hoping they would give Jordan Subban more time but that was his third pro season. They have been signing so many top quality free agents that they probably had to make room......:nod:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I'm glad they qualified MacDermid, Lintuniemi and LaDue. I was kind of hoping they would give Jordan Subban more time but that was his third pro season. They have been signing so many top quality free agents that they probably had to make room......:nod:

It's just too crowded at the Inn, and Subban is not good at defense. It was a wise move.

If the Kings don't make any trades (a big if still), the last two D spots are between Brickley, LaDue, MacDermid and Fantenberg. All of them with the exception of Brickley has to clear waivers, and while we often overvalue players, there is a reasonable chance someone would grab any one of those 3. If Brickley and LaDue make the Kings, and the other two clear, you have

Fantenberg-Roy
Lintuniemi-Clague
MacDermid-Strand

Moverare
Falkovsky
Reddekopp
Walker (if he is returning, not sure if he has a contract)

That's a lot of peeps for not a lot of space. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Reign carry 8 D right at the start of the season until things shake out. You could have Moverare go back the OHL for his overager year, and Reddekopp might be a long shot for this roster if there are no other openings. Of course, we could see some trades too. Blake may try and move some of these exposed players vs risk losing them for nothing on waivers.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I honestly wont be shocked to see LaDue traded, with MacDermid and Fantenberg making the team and Brickley bouncing back and forth as needed.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I honestly wont be shocked to see LaDue traded, with MacDermid and Fantenberg making the team and Brickley bouncing back and forth as needed.
I'm still not seeing why the Kings haven't given LaDue a chance to show what he can bring. Honestly, he reminds me of Voynov. I'm still befuddled as to why Fantenberg gets minutes in front of LaDue.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Very early look at the most likely Reign roster players. So many openings, it's hard to get a grasp of who would be where. For now, going with LaDue and Brickley making the Kings. Huge turnover in the forward group with a lot of the old guard moving on. Not sure how effective the offense is going to be.

LW
Rempal
Wagner
Imama

C
Morrison
Eyssimont

RW
Luff
Watson

LD
MacDermid
Fantenberg
Clague
Lintuniemi
Moverare
Falkovsky
Reddekopp

RD
Roy
Strand
Walker (signed with the Kings on 7/2)

G
Petersen
Budaj
Kehler

Last Year's AHL/ECHL contracts. No information on who if anyone is coming back. Most likely of the group would be Sutter, maybe Hensick, Maillet, Devane, Herr and Walker.

LW
Sutter
Herr
Devane

C
Maillet
Hensick
Iverson
Marcinew
Bauman

RW
Schmalz

LD
Racine

RD
None

NHL
LW/RW
Moulson

Last edited:

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
So maybe something like this.....?

Left WingCenterRight Wing
Brett Sutter, LS, #07Philippe Maillet, LS, #16Matt Moulson, LS, #26
Austin Wagner, LS, #24TJ Hensick, RS, #17Jonny Brodzinski, RS, #22
Sheldon Rempal, LS, Brad Morrison, LS, Matt Luff, RS, #09
Sam Herr, LS, #25Mikey Eyssimont, LS, #11Matt Schmalz, RS,
Jamie Devane, LS, #23Kyle Bauman, RS, #41Matt Marcinew, RS,
Boko Imama, LS, #18Keegan Iverson,RS, Spencer Watson, RS,
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoalie
Alex Lintuniemi, LS, #10Sean Walker, RS, #28Cal Petersen, RS, #40
Kale Clague, LS, #34Matt Roy, RS, #03Peter Budaj, LS, #31
Oscar Fantenberg, LS, Austin Strand, RS, Cole Kehler, RS,
Jacob Moverare, LS, Chaz Reddekopp, LS,
Kurtis MacDermid, LS, #20
Stepan Falkovsky, LS, #33
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I suspect a lot of those AHL guys are not returning. I expect to see Sutter, and maybe Maillet if we can lure him back. Not sure about Walker, although I hope so. I'd be a bit surprised if TJ returned, not sure what will happen with Moulson (not ruling him out), Herr and Devane who knows. I don't think Bauman will be back. I expect they will bring in several new AHL vets, hopefully some with a scoring touch. New GM this year, could shake it up a bit.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Sean Walker
Position: RD
Shoots: R
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 23 (turn 24 in Nov)
Size: 5-10/5-11 194
Draft position: Undrafted
How obtained: Signed as a free agent by Los Angeles in July of 2018
Years pro: 1 (rookie)
Prior season Team: Bowing Green State U (WCHA) GP: 41 G: 10 A: 24 PIM: 42 +/- : +15
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 64 G: 7 A: 21 PIM: 59 +/-: +17
Signed through: 2019-2020

Review: The Ontario Reign signed Walker in September of 2017 after he completed four full season of WCHA hockey at Bowling Green State University, where he named named two-time all second-team for the WCHA his final two seasons. Walker also served as team captain his junior and senior seasons. When I first saw him play, I tagged him with the nickname "The little engine that could". It was not meant to be derogatory in any way. His compete level is what separated him from his peers. And while he is a bit undersized, he can handle the traffic down low and is an outstanding skater. Walker is a puck moving right hand shot defensemen, who was typically paired with MacDermid the second half of the season when Dermy was sent down to the AHL. They often formed the #1 D pairing most nights. Walker lead all Reign defensemen with a +17 rating. While I would say he is competent defensively, he is still improving at the pro level. His risky pushes up the ice down the right wing probably gave Stothers quite a few more grey hairs, and while that may be fait accompli by now, these same pushes tend to tilt the ice in the Reign's favor as his plus/minus rating suggests. Stothers hinted in an interview this year that sometimes he (Walker) thinks he's a forward. Walker is an adept puck handler who pulled off several nice curl and drag moves from the right point after faking a shot giving him a better shooting angle towards the middle of the ice.

Outlook: The Kings were so impressed by Walker's rookie AHL campaign they rewarded him with a two-year NHL contract this week. Although he is only a 2nd year pro, I wouldn't be surprised to see an "A" on his uniform in the near future. His complete level exudes leadership on the ice. I suspect Walker will be battling with Roy for PP time on the right point this season, assuming Strand earns a spot on the team with his booming shot. Walker might need to tone down his rushes a bit and play more conservatively within the team structure on a consistent basis to have a shot at the next level.

Chance for success at the next level: When the season ended, I didn't think Walker would come back to the Reign as I believed he would be looking for an NHL deal. Well, the Kings sealed that with a two-year contract and it was a solid signing, especially with the dearth of RHD in the organization. While Walker is a bit of a long-shot right now if he continues to develop he could be competing for a spot on the NHL roster as early as next season. His ceiling is likely 5th-7th D man in the NHL.

I am a 3-year season ticket holder with the Ontario Reign. I have attended over 90% of the home games the last 3 years, and have been an avid LA Kings fan since the mid 1970’s. This past season I also watched a majority of the Reign away games on AHL live. I tend to watch the games as an evaluator, looking for the details that can take a player to the next level. I believe I have learned a lot these past 3 years in evaluating how player's AHL games have translated to the NHL level. That being said, I don’t have any claim to being an expert at reviewing talent any more than other hockey fan or contributor to hockey discussions. As always, appreciate any feedback.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Reign201819Schedule-a88f038a4f.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad