Ontario Reign 2017/2018

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey regulate, thank you so much for these write-ups. Would you feel comfortable providing some style comparisons of how these guys play (not an upside of "this guy could be the next Drew Doughty" but more like "he plays his best when he's physically engaged and can pinch on the attack like Jake Muzzin.")

If it's something you're not comfortable with, I get it. And I get wary of making comparisons sometimes since people misunderstand the intent. It might just help paint an overall picture.

Other possible points of discussion is what sort of role they will play going forward. For example, I understand Imama having a low chance for success in the NHL, but it may be outweighed by him more likely playing a 4th line role. Matt Roy may have a moderate chance as a bottom pairing defender.

Your write-ups are very thoughtful and great as is, so please don't misunderstand. These are just suggestions which may provoke more discussion. Either way, thank you for your thoughtfulness and summaries. I look forward to reading them all!

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will elaborate more about the top potential of the player IF they make it to the NHL going forward. I might throw in couple of "this player reminds me of", but only if it's a pretty strong resemblance in style.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Jordan Subban
Position: RD
Shoots: R
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 23
Size: 5-9 185
Draft position: 4th round 2013 by Vancouver
How obtained: Trade from Vancouver in exchange for the Nic Dowd on December 8th, 2017
Years pro: 3
Prior season Team: Utica Comets (AHL) GP: 65 G: 16 A: 20 PIM: 36 +/- : -12
2017-2018 Team: Utica Comets (AHL)/Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 52 G: 4 A: 9 PIM: 66 +/-: -12
Signed through: 2017-2018 season (RFA)

Review: Whenever the last name of Subban arrives in town a buzz is created, and that buzz reverberated throughout the Kings organization when Jordan Subban was obtained in a trade for Nic Dowd. There was some reason for the excitement as the now 3rd year pro potted 16 goals for the Utica Comets the season prior in just his 2nd season as a right-handed defensemen, something in short supply around the professional ranks. A quick check around the internet to see what the pundits were saying quickly tempered those expectations. Subban received significant praise for his hard shot from the point on the PP and for his puck moving abilities, but his play in his own end was widely questioned and he is undersized, so perhaps this was a project the Kings were willing to take a chance on to see if they could develop his defensive abilities. Upon his arrival to Ontario (he missed several games after being acquired due to an existing injury) his offensive game play was as advertised. He was dynamic skating with the puck out of his own end, and registered 2 goals, 1 assist, a +3 rating and 10 shots in his first 4 games and he quickly became a fan favorite. However, as the season dragged along, the reality of his overall play soon came into focus, as his lack of size, no matter how hard he battled, became an issue. Subban battles very hard, no doubt, but when you are physically over matched, there is only so much you can do. That, coupled with not having the best defensive acumen and positioning, soon became a burden for defensive oriented coach Mike Stothers. Subban soon found himself in a rotation for playing time with Falkovsky, as he was often a healthy scratch if there were enough healthy bodies. His offensive game also tapered off with only 2 goals and 3 assists in his last 32 games in ONT, not exactly what you would expect from an offensive minded defensemen receiving some PP time on the point. His last goal was on February 9th. Subban did not end on a high note, going scoreless his last 3 games with a combined -5 rating on the ice, and he never saw one minute of ice time in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Outlook: It is hard to say what is ahead for Subban and the Kings organization. As a restricted free agent, there is some question whether or not the Kings give him a qualifying offer at this point. At only 23 years old, it may be too early to give up on this prospect and he does possess some intangibles that are creative with an offensive punch if he can develop some consistency. Right now, he does not appear to have enough defensive prowess to play NHL defense. While it's in his favor that he is right-handed, the Kings have a whole slew of new defensemen coming up from the junior ranks and college next season. It's getting very crowded at the blue line once again.

Chance for success at the next level: It's difficult to imagine based upon his play in his own end this season that Subban could play as a defensemen in the NHL, even in the new and speedier version of the league. Perhaps his only path would be to convert to RW and see if his skill set could be maximized offensively, but it's unknown if that is even being considered.

I am a 3-year season ticket holder with the Ontario Reign. I have attended over 90% of the home games the last 3 years, and have been an avid LA Kings fan since the mid 1970’s. This past season I also watched a majority of the Reign away games on AHL live. I tend to watch the games as an evaluator, looking for the details that can take a player to the next level. I believe I have learned a lot these past 3 years in evaluating how player's AHL games have translated to the NHL level. That being said, I don’t have any claim to being an expert at reviewing talent any more than other hockey fan or contributor to hockey discussions. As always, appreciate any feedback.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
I was also really excited aboot Jordan Subban when I heard the news of the trade that brought him here. I really liked him as a first impression after seeing him play with the Reign. Being a casual fan I didn't understand when his ice time kept diminishing as he was one of the players I would look forward to watching every game. Him being frequently a healthy scratch didn't seem to make sense to me. Then I read the article (can't find it right now) that was saying how the King's were looking for him to focus more on his defensive play and to reign in (pun intended) his flight patterns. After that I started paying attention to how he was losing coverage of his man and him getting caught out of position because of him focusing too much on offense. Then I looked at his +/- which I think was a minus 12 at the time and I realized that even though he is really fun to watch as a fan his style of play might not be the what is best for the team.
I really like that kid and I hope that the Kings decide to stick with him and get him the help he needs to learn the defensive side of the game. There are plenty of NHL defenseman his size currently playing and more on the way.....
With him being only 23 years old and obviously very talented I hope they stick with him for at least a few more years.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Michael Mersch
Position: LW
Shoots: L
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 26
Size: 6-2 218
Draft position: 4th round 2011
How obtained: Drafted by Los Angeles
Years pro: 4
Prior season Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 48 G: 16 A: 17 PIM: 46 +/- : -1
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 65 G: 21 A: 28 PIM: 16 +/-: +11
Signed through: 2017-2018 season (UFA)

Review: When Mersch was drafted in 2011 out of the University of Wisconsin just prior to the LA Kings winning their first Stanley Cup, the Kings had adopted a heavy game identity which proved ultimately to be successful, so it's no surprise that the Wisconsin Badger was grabbed as a middle round pick as he had good size and started to develop a scoring touch in his Sophomore season. After completing 4 full years of NCAA hockey, Mersch's future looked bright as he blossomed in his first full pro campaign with an outstanding playoff run, scoring 13 goals in 18 games to help lead the Manchester Monarchs to their first Calder Cup in franchise history in 2014-2015. As the team moved to Ontario the following season, Mersch continued to be effective around the net, particularly on the PP and earned his first full NHL call up. It was clear there were some shortcomings in his game at the NHL level, particularly with this skating. After failing to make the team out of camp the following season, Mersch still had reason to be optimistic if could continue to produce, but his season was marred by a significant leg injury which caused him to miss 20 games, an eternity in the AHL. As the NHL has transitioned the last few seasons placing an emphasis on speed, Mersch's future with the franchise began to be in doubt. Once thought of as a potential Tomas Holstrom type player around the net, the other facets of his game seemed to have too many holes (consistency in his puck handling, passing, awkward skating style and balance) to be an everyday NHL player, and despite his excellent abilities at tipping in pucks on shots for goals, the skating issue has been something that may be too great to overcome to reach the next level.

Outlook: Mersch's future with the franchise seems to be in doubt, and it's not likely the Kings will re-sign the soon to be unrestricted free agent as he enters next season as a 26 year old forward. Mersch is the quintessential tweener pro hockey player, he would probably not hurt you too badly as a 4th line NHLer with some limited PP time, but is probably not skilled enough overall and is likely to spend his future hockey career as an above average AHL player. It's unknown if the Reign have any interest in signing "Big Mike", he's been a great teammate on the Reign and a favorite of Coach Stothers.

Chance for success at the next level: Mersch will likely try and latch on with another NHL club who is willing to at least give him a look in camp somewhere to revitalize his career, but he is more likely to end up playing his career in the AHL, maybe closer to home in the Midwest.

I am a 3-year season ticket holder with the Ontario Reign. I have attended over 90% of the home games the last 3 years, and have been an avid LA Kings fan since the mid 1970’s. This past season I also watched a majority of the Reign away games on AHL live. I tend to watch the games as an evaluator, looking for the details that can take a player to the next level. I believe I have learned a lot these past 3 years in evaluating how player's AHL games have translated to the NHL level. That being said, I don’t have any claim to being an expert at reviewing talent any more than other hockey fan or contributor to hockey discussions. As always, appreciate any feedback.​

Last edited:

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Alex Lintuniemi
Position: LD
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 23
Size: 6-3 214
Draft position: 2nd round 2014
Years pro: 3
Prior season Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 41 G: 2 A: 8 PIM: 6 +/- : -3
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 64 G: 4 A: 20 PIM: 30 +/-: -6
Signed through: 2017-2018 season (RFA)

Review: Alex Lintuniemi was the last player chosen in the 2nd round of the 2014 NHL draft, thanks to the Kings coming off of a Stanley Cup championship. In what so far has turned out to be a down year for defensemen in the draft outside of Ekblad and possibly Montour as impact players in the NHL, Lintuniemi has been on a steady development track. With good size and skating ability, it's easy to see why the Kings looked to Lintuniemi as someone who has the tools to be an NHL player. Still, you have to wonder if this pick was a bit of a reach after coming off of a team worst -38 season with the Ottawa 67's. Lintuniemi was ranked 187th by NHL central scouting, not to say that the Kings staff really murdered this pick by as the 60th player taken in the draft. Lintuniemi began his pro development in the ECHL at age 20, as it was determined he was not quite ready to play at the AHL level quite yet after camp broke. The 2016-2017 campaign was his first AHL year, Lintuniemi played in only 41 of the 68 games, and although my memory fails me, I believe most of the games missed the season prior was the coaches choice. I was not particularly impressed in his rookie season, as there were huge problems in consistency and decision making on the ice, but perhaps I was hasty in my judgement as defensemen can be projects that take time. This year has been his best pro season to date, as he has become a more consistent defender and a more confident player all around. There are minor lapses in his judgement still on the "correct" play to make, but improvement is evident, and he has been on a regularly pairing all season on the left side. Not particularly a physical player (in fact, he looks a lot thinner to me than last year) for his size, but not afraid of contact. His PIM's increased from 6 to 30 year over year, and he racked up career high in points, although he has yet to be a plus player as a pro. Lintuniemi doesn't really stand out in a crowd as being a particularly great in any aspect of his game other than his skating, but eliminating mistakes in positioning, making the correct reads and improving his consistency on the ice have moved him up on the depth chart.

Outlook: Lintuniemi has some tools to work with, and perhaps that is why my critique of him on the ice can be unduly harsh as I watch his game unfold. I was reminded while watching an away game on AHL live in March when the visiting team play by play announcer remarked how much improved Lintuniemi looked on the ice, like a completely different and more confident player than the season prior. Sometimes it takes another set of eyes to not let your personal bias cloud your judgement as you forget watching the player on a weekly basis. I believe Jon Rosen recently remarked than Lintuniemi has opened some eyes on the Kings staff with his play in the second half of this season, and as long as progress continues to build, look for the player next year season to get his longest look yet in camp, building off what was an excellent playoff series for him personally, with 2 assists in 4 games played and a second best on the team +4 performance in the Calder Cup despite the team losing 3 of 4 games.

Chance for success at the next level: I look for the Kings to extend a qualifying offer to Lintuniemi in the off season and likely a new two-year deal. He'll just turn 23 years old to begin next season, and his path to the NHL will likely be a lengthy one if he gets there, at least another 1 or 2 years to see if he has enough all around ability to become a quality NHL player. I know I have beaten the word consistency to death, but nothing is more key for Lintuniemi to becoming an NHL player. I would compare his game to Alec Martinez, with less offensive upside, so his pinnacle would be a third pairing D man in the NHL.

I am a 3-year season ticket holder with the Ontario Reign. I have attended over 90% of the home games the last 3 years, and have been an avid LA Kings fan since the mid 1970’s. This past season I also watched a majority of the Reign away games on AHL live. I tend to watch the games as an evaluator, looking for the details that can take a player to the next level. I believe I have learned a lot these past 3 years in evaluating how player's AHL games have translated to the NHL level. That being said, I don’t have any claim to being an expert at reviewing talent any more than other hockey fan or contributor to hockey discussions. As always, appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Given his size and style of play, I am hopeful that he could be to the Kings what Nik Hjalmarsson was to the Hawks and develop into that safety gap defenseman who can stick to making safe plays who excels at getting his stick into passing lanes and blocking shots.

He could be another Forbort in the making, and hopefully some increased responsibility and ice time will bring more out of Lintuniemi next season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was really impressed with Lintu at the end of the season. I only saw most of 5ish games, but he reminded me a lot of good Bouwmeester...not nearly as fast as his prime version but a really good skater with good vision and very little hitting. And you wouldn't really notice him unless he made a mistake, just lots of subtle disarmaments of puck carriers and quick little effective plays.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Cal Petersen
Position: G
Shoots: Catches Right
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 24
Size: 6-2 183
Draft position: 5th Round 2013 by Buffalo
How obtained: Signed as a free agent by Los Angeles, July 1st 2017
Years pro: 1 (rookie)
Prior season Team: Notre Dame (NCAA) GP: 40 GAA: 2.38 SV%: .926 W: 23 L: 12 T: 5 SO: 6
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 41 GAA: 2.58 SV%: .910 W: 23 L: 14 T: 2 SO: 4
Signed through: 2018-2019 season

Review: When Notre Dame bowed out to eventual national champion U of Denver in the frozen four at the conclusion 2016-2017 NCAA season, Cal Petersen, the only goalie ever to be named Captain at Notre Dame announced he was turning pro as his junior season was complete. After failing to reach an agreement in the 30 day window with the Buffalo Sabres after making his intentions known, all the Sabres could do was watch as their prized goalie prospect chose a different path, signing with the Kings as a free agent and their touted goalie development staff, no doubt which played a part in his decision. Petersen shared the goalie responsibilities with Jack Campbell in Ontario, as they most often alternated games until Campbell was called up to Los Angeles when Kuemper was traded to Arizona. Petersen was the clear cut #1 the remainder of the season, and played every minute in the Calder Cup playoffs. Petersen's rookie campaign overall was a resounding success despite the disappointment of losing in the first round of the playoffs, as he faced the same dilemma as his NHL counterpart in the playoffs, a lack of timely goals and some defensive lapses by his teammates. Petersen, who catches with his right hand, a rarity in the pro ranks, is a goaltender that relies on solid fundamentals and lack of movement in the crease, forcing opponents to beat him around his solid positional game. His style is a marked opposite of his organizational teammates in Quick and Campbell, who are more athletic and mobile. Petersen's early excellent play was recognized as he was named to the AHL All Star team. He was remarkably consistent most of the season, despite the continuous turnover of teammates playing in front of him. In fact, short of a poor final 3 games of the regular season (after the Reign clinched a playoff spot the team tanked in front of him, 16 goals allowed in his final 7 periods of play, raising his season GAA and lowering his SV% substantially), his numbers would have almost been exactly the same as his prior season in Notre Dame. This is not to say there was not a learning curve during the year and areas to improve upon. He has a tendency to give up goals on scrambles down low between the pads. He needs to do a better job bouncing on loose pucks in his crease. Puck control behind the net is satisfactory, but he is no Jack Campbell, and he had one moment where he passed the puck off the side of the net from along the boards which cost the team as the puck was put into an open net by the opponent. Still, there is an awful lot to like about this prospect and his competitive nature in net as he works his way to the NHL. An emotional Stothers called Petersen the best goalie in the AHL after bowing out in playoffs, high praise indeed.

Outlook: It is likely that short of a injury or surprise in NHL training camp in September, Petersen is destined to play one more season as the #1 goalie in Ontario as he fine tunes his game. The tools are there for him to play in the NHL and the organization may end up being forced to make a decision by the end of next season on what to do with 3 capable goalies for 2 NHL positions. But until then, look for Petersen to continue next year in Ontario and be the first call up if needed.

Chance for success at the next level: Most pundits are looking for Petersen to be the heir apparent to Jonathan Quick, but Quick showed in the Stanley Cup playoffs he's not quite ready to call it a day, and with 5 years left on his deal, the Kings could be forced into another Martin Jones situation. With college and the USHL taking up 5 years of Petersen's development time, Petersen, who turns 24 in October, can only be so patient. Of course, he has to prove himself on the ice at the NHL level, and for that, we'll have to wait.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't say this lightly, Petersen is the best goalie prospect I've ever seen in person. Full stop. I can't say much more than that. He literally has everything you would want.

That tendency to give up goals on contested pucks in front seems to be an aggressiveness issue, he's very patient, which works against him in that case.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Matt Luff
Position: RW
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 21
Size: 6-3 205
Draft position: Undrafted
How obtained: Signed as a free agent by Los Angeles in September of 2016
Prior season Team: Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL) GP: 45 G: 25 A: 24 PIM: 33 +/- : +14
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 67 G: 12 A: 17 PIM: 42 +/-: +3
Signed through: 2019-2020

Review: In his first draft eligible year, Luff was ranked in the top 100 North American skaters, but had a poor second half of his season in Belleville and went undrafted. The following year as an 18 year old in the OHL with Hamilton, he caught fire in the second half of the season, scoring 17 goals and racking up 14 assists in his final 20 games. The Kings invited him to development camp in July of 2016, and were obviously impressed as they extended a follow up invite to attend rookie camp just prior to Kings training camp. It was enough for the Kings to ink him to a 3-year ELC. He then completed his 19 year old season in Hamilton (OHL) and played 2 games for the Reign at the end of the year. Luff was eligible to be sent down to the OHL for his overage year in 2017-2018, but he clearly came to camp with the intentions of sticking around. He scored a goal in an NHL preseason game verses the Ducks prior to being cut, and went on a preseason goal scoring tear in the Reign camp, assuring him a spot on the Ontario roster. Luff is a strong above average north-south skater with good size. He does not shy away from physical play along the boards. Luff is a shot first player who needs to work on his consistency getting the shot on net and with his passing, particularly as is relates to creating scoring opportunities for others. He has a heavy NHL level shot, usually picking his favorite spot top shelf short side coming down the right wing on the fly, but often tries to be too fine and misses the net. His game reminds me of Brodzinski with more size, but right now not as accurate or skilled with his hands on his release. As with many rookies, their first pro season tends to be physically draining as he suffered long goal-scoring droughts of 17 and 12 games respectively, the reality of the grind for the first year pro. He played all but one game, a testament to his durability. I believe the game he missed was due to a injury to his jaw as a result a fight vs Cleveland, and when he returned he was wearing a face guard. While not necessarily known as a defensive stalwart, he is responsible in his own zone and makes occasional solid reads to pick off errant passes by the opposition.

Outlook: As a 2nd year pro, look for Luff to up his offensive game. He would likely have to double his offensive production (no easy task) to start to get a potential look in the next couple of seasons with the big club. That may be plausible as older players from the Kings farm system move on and he gets more power play time with the Reign, but he'll have to avoid long scoring slumps to move up on the depth chart overall. He will likely be the the 1st or 2nd line right wing for the Reign this season, depending on how the roster shakes out.

Chance for success at the next level: Right now Luff is a mid-level prospect with the potential to move up quickly if he can build consistent scoring into his game. He's only 21, he has excellent size and speed, and the Kings lack of forward depth in the system makes him a valuable asset on the right wing. Improvement in the 2018-2019 season will be pivotal for his hockey future to see if he can become an NHL forward. There is a lot to like about his tool set and heavy shot. The question mark is does he have the talent to make it to the next level. I'll call it too early to tell at this point.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Andrew Crescenzi
Position: C
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 26
Size: 6-5 208
Draft position: Undrafted
How obtained: In a trade with the Toronto Maple Leafs for Brandon Kozun in 2014
Years pro: 5
Prior season Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 56 G: 7 A: 8 PIM: 57 +/- : -2
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 57 G: 12 A: 12 PIM: 65 +/-: -14
Signed through: 2017-2018 (UFA)

Review: When Andrew Crescenzi was obtained in trade of prospects in 2014 with the Toronto Maple Leafs for the speedy Brandon Kozun, he was the quintessential Kings prospect prototype, a large, physical centerman who was defensively responsible. Crescenzi went on to help the Monarchs that season capture their first Calder Cup as a 4th line center. Crescenzi is generally a solid defensive player that lacks the offensive acumen to be consistently effective as anything other than a lower line forward. As the both the NHL and AHL have become more reliant on faster more skilled talent, Crescenzi has struggled to keep up with the pace. He is a below average skater, one of if not the slowest skater on the Reign. GM Rob Blake gave Crescenzi a taste of the NHL as he promised with more developed prospects, and Crescenzi got a quick two game look with the Kings. While Crescenzi had his most productive offensive campaign this season with career highs in goals and points centering the 3rd and 4th lines, his defensive game suffered with a career worst -14 rating. Crescenzi excels on the PK, and is the Reign's most consistent man on the draw, often called upon to take critical draws in his own zone. His is a strong physical forward who is not afraid to drop the gloves, and while he can surprise on occassion with an excellent pass to create an offensive opportunity for a line mate, more often than not his routine passing is below average. No doubt Andrew is an important part of the Reign's overall defensive structure of the team, and his experience was greatly missed at the end of the season when he suffered an undisclosed season ending injury, not playing in a game after March 23rd vs the Condors. The Stars took advantage of his absence in the playoffs, as the youngster's Anderson-Dolan and Kyle Bauman where exposed defensively and ultimately were a key reason for the Reign's defeat in at least two of the tightly contested match ups.

Outlook: After 4 1/2 seasons in the Kings organization, it's likely the Kings part ways with Crescenzi as he is now an unrestricted free agent. It's hard to envision him signing an NHL deal anywhere as he turns 26 years old the summer coming off a likely serious injury (surgery was rumored, not verified). I can see him as someone the Reign would like to sign as an AHL player. He's a leader and and a strong physical presence to help protect the young prospects as they begin their careers.

Chance for success at the next level: Crescenzi has now toiled for 5 seasons in the AHL, and his chances of playing at the next level are extremely remote. He lacks the speed and skill set to play in today's NHL. His likely career path is in the AHL if he chooses to continue with his hockey career.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Justin Auger
Position: RW
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 24
Size: 6-7 229
Draft position: 4th round of the 2013 entry draft
Years pro: 4
Prior season Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 61 G: 11 A: 9 PIM: 58 +/- : -2
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 65 G: 11 A: 14 PIM: 39 +/-: -13
Signed through: 2017-2018 (RFA)

Review: Los Angeles continued their trend of stretch picks (pun intended) in the 2013 entry draft, reaching for 6-7 Justin Auger in the 4th round, continuing the mantra of "you can't teach size". Fresh after coming off of a Calder Cup winning team in his first pro season, Auger looked to potentially pay dividends with a solid 2nd season campaign, scoring 19 goals with a +17 rating in Ontario. Auger has decent straight ahead speed once he gets going, has the ability to make surprising moves offensively and is adept at tipping pucks in front of the net. Despite having pretty good hands around the net, after his 2nd season, he overall game has taken a significant downtown, relegated to bottom six AHL duties with offensive production decreasing to 11 goals each of the last two seasons combined with a minus 13 rating the past year. Auger is not a physical player despite his large frame. He uses his reach to defend, often causing him to take hooking penalties or have players blow past him while reaching and not moving his feet, especially in open ice. Auger was rewarded with a two game NHL call up as Blake had promised to get a look at how those players potentially fit in with the roster, and while Auger didn't hurt himself in his debut, there is nothing to suggest his game will translate to the next level. Auger does have a penchant for scoring clutch goals in overtime or in the playoffs when he gets onto the ice.

Outlook: I'm reminded of an excellent NHL preseason game Auger had prior to last year's season, and how many fans posted that they thought he should be in the NHL. The problem is, those same fans have never seen Auger play on a consistent basis during a regular season. There are some tools there that he show he is capable of a solid game on occassion, but more often than not he is a frustrating player that does not play a physical game and lacks the overall skill set to be a regular NHL player. After 4 full pro seasons and coming off a one-year deal, Auger is likely a player that is on the bubble with the Kings organization as a restricted free agent, and it would not surprise me if he didn't receive a qualifying offer in June.

Chance for success at the next level: Auger is another player who will likely be relegated to a career in the AHL due to the transition to a game of speed and quickness in the NHL. While I don't expect him to make the jump, if he did, his potential is as a 4th line RW.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'll give Auger credit because I remember when he was drafted I thought to myself we drafted a 6'7 forward who can't skate, can't shoot and doesn't use his size in the 4th round. Didn't like that pick at all. But then when he came up to Manchester he showed that he could be more than just 4th line grinder and I never thought he'd ever see NHL ice. That being said time is running out on him and there simply aren't any spots for him. I have a feeling Sutter might have loved him, but with this current management I think he'll just continue to be an AHL player.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Nice job on the player summaries, Regulate.

Much appreciated.

200w.gif

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Auger will probably stick around if the team stays in the mid-40's for contracts. If they want to bring in some others and start pushing 50, Auger is a prime candidate to not be qualified. I think the writing is on the wall with him, his skill set is far from ideal with the way the league is heading.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Auger will probably stick around if the team stays in the mid-40's for contracts. If they want to bring in some others and start pushing 50, Auger is a prime candidate to not be qualified. I think the writing is on the wall with him, his skill set is far from ideal with the way the league is heading.

It's possible, but the fact he only got a one-year extension last season and has had two down years in a row don't bode well for him after 4 pro years of development time.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Austin Wagner
Position: LW
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 21
Size: 6-2 185
Draft position: 4th round of the 2015 entry draft
Prior season Team: Regina Pats (WHL) GP: 64 G: 30 A: 36 PIM: 94 +/- : +52
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 50 G: 10 A: 7 PIM: 62 +/-: -4

Review: When I had a chance to speak with Mike Futa for a few minutes at a season ticket member event in October of 2017, one of the players discussed for a few moments was Austin Wagner. I asked what the plan was for Wagner for the the upcoming 2017-2018 season (Wagner was rehabbing with the Kings/Reign due to off-season shoulder surgery) since Wagner was eligible to return to Regina as an overager. Futa said the plan was to send him back to juniors since it wasn't fair to his development to miss half of his rookie pro season. Well, that didn't take long to change due to the Reign's poor start to the season and Wagner's faster than expected recovery as he ended up missing training camp and the first six weeks of the AHL season. Futa touted Wagner as the fastest skater in the entire CHL, and once we got to see him in action as he got more comfortable with the structure of the pro game, you could see why. Wagner has elite speed, likely the fastest skater ever to don a Kings jersey. He has a tendency to cherry pick at bit leaving the zone (might actually be part of the scheme to take advantage of his speed). He needs to work on puck control and protection to take advantage of his skating and it's often knocked away by defenders as he enters the zone. Probably half of his ten goals where scored off the rush, with highlight level moves blowing by defenders and then cutting in front of the net showing some decent hands. But that was the exception, not the rule, and Wagner will have to make strides in his 2nd pro season offensively to start getting a look, after all, you can't teach speed. He did have a stretch in March when he started looking more comfortable and scored six goals in ten games. Like most first year pros, his defensive development is a work in progress. Right now I would call him below average in his zone coverage. The biggest surprise (although looking at his PIM's last year at Regina maybe it shouldn't be) was his chippy play. Wagner is not afraid to mix it up at all, got in a few fights (one looked like he was knocked out momentarily and he suffered a broken nose), and is generally an agitator in front of the net on scrums. He throws hard checks along the boards, but needs to play smarter, as he often takes long runs which result in boarding and charging infractions.

Outlook: When the Reign released a side-by-side video comparison of an Austin Wagner rush goal with a similar Conner MacDavid play during the season, many Kings fans got excited at the prospect of an elite level skater competing for the Kings. But that is where the comparison ends. Wagner is a work in progress whose consistency, hockey IQ and defensive game need to make some decent size strides before he gets a chance at the NHL. Just to give you an idea of where his game is, he played as the 4th line LW for the Reign in the playoffs, so there is work to be done. I look for Wagner to continue to progress and get more offensive line opportunities this season in the AHL, where we'll get a better idea of his offensive potential while he improves his overall game. Right now, I look for Wagner's best chance to get a potential call up to the NHL would likely be in the 2019-2020 season if his game continues to improve.

Chance for success at the next level: Will Wagner ever play in the NHL? It's too early to tell for sure, but with the league transitioning to the speed game he certainly has that, so it's hard to think he doesn't get a chance at some point. Will he be Michael Grabner or Craig Johnson? Probably at best or worst, depending on how you look at it. His ceiling is likely a 3rd or 4th line LW in the NHL.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can't see Wagner NOT making the NHL at least as a 4th liner. His speed and pissyness will carry him a long way.

However, I'm not sure he has the IQ to be a true top-six type, maybe more like the 20-goal version of Grabner with some bonus forechecking thrown in.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Player: Stepan Falkovsky
Position: LD
Age at start of 2018-2019 season: 22
Size: 6-7 225
Draft position: 7th round of the 2016 entry draft by Calgary
How obtained: Signed as a free agent by Los Angeles on July 1, 2017
Years pro: 2 (AHL rookie, prior season ECHL)
Prior season Team: Adirondack Thunder (ECHL) GP: 54 G: 21 A: 11 PIM: 37 +/- : -1
2017-2018 Team: Ontario Reign (AHL) GP: 44 G: 3 A: 4 PIM: 28 +/-: -1

Review: A beast from the east, this 6-7 defensemen from Belarus is similar in stature to Justin Auger but plays with a bit more edge. Not overly physical, but he doesn't shy away from contact. Another Reign player from the land of giants, the Kings were impressed enough with his first pro season in the ECHL, netting 21 goals on defense to sign him to a three-year deal to improve the organization's defensive depth. Falkovsky skates very well for a big man including with the puck, but lacks consistency in his overall game, seemingly playing a really strong game followed by a poor effort. Falkovsky has a rocket of a shot (likely the hardest in the Kings organization), but has not yet established himself as a regular on the power play due to trust in his decision making and occasional gaffs on the blue line. His large frame limits his ability to gets shots off quickly due to the length of his wind up. Once Jordan Subban arrived, Falkovsky played primarily in a defensive rotation with Subban in the second half of the season (when everyone was healthy), resulting in Falkovsky only logging 44 out of 68 games played. Falkovsky sometimes struggles defensively close in to the net, as often the puck is down low at his feet, but due to his large frame, struggles in his stick work due to his height and can lose costly puck battles down low. He needs to concentrate using that large frame to remove players from the crease. Alternatively, he is very effective at using his long-reach to poke the puck away from players, particular on the rush from the outside.

Outlook: Falkovsky is a project player but does have some inherent abilities to work with including a hard shot, excellent speed for his size and of course his big frame. It will be important for Falkovsky to establish himself in his second AHL season as an everyday player, and it would certainly benefit his offensive game if he can get regular power play time while continuing to work on his defensive play. Improving his decision making (not getting caught on pinches along the boards creating 2 on 1's, an issue with him) and consistent play are the keys to his upcoming season.

Chance for success at the next level: When I first saw Falkovsky play in an exhibition game for the Reign, I thought to myself what are the Kings doing? And yet the very next game he looked really solid. He'll have to raise the bar on his overall game the next couple of seasons in the AHL to get a potential look as a NHL player, and with his physical skill set, I wouldn't completely rule it out. If strides are made, he could end up competing for a 6-7th defensemen role in the NHL in a couple of seasons.

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I can't see Wagner NOT making the NHL at least as a 4th liner. His speed and pissyness will carry him a long way.

However, I'm not sure he has the IQ to be a true top-six type, maybe more like the 20-goal version of Grabner with some bonus forechecking thrown in.

I see him as the teams next core of a Lewis mold with better scoring.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I see him as the teams next core of a Lewis mold with better scoring.

Not likely if Wagner receives Lewis type of minutes. Trevor Lewis for the amount of bottom six minutes he plays is one of the most productive bottom six players in the entire NHL.

I know that's hard to believe, but people think productive bottom six players are "dime a dozen". The secret is they are not.

Last edited:

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Not likely if Wagner receives Lewis type of minutes. Trevor Lewis for the amount of bottom six minutes he plays is one of the most productive bottom six players in the entire NHL.

I know that's hard to believe, but people think productive bottom six players are "dime a dozen". The secret is they are not.

But you don't know if he will or won't. If he gets those mins or not.

I'm just saying that he has the same toolbox, work ethic, better speed, and he has the same to better skill set as Lewis...of any one of the Kings prospects.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

I'm just saying that he has the same toolbox, work ethic, better speed, and he has the same to better skill set as Lewis...of any one of the Kings prospects.

Wagner certainly has speed and decent size. We shall see if he does anything with it.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Lewis was better offensively than Wagner in juniors, so I wouldn't necessarily say he's got a better skill set, but otherwise he's pretty similar. Definitely faster but not quite the hockey acumen Lewis has. It never hurts to have guys like that.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad