Ontario Reign 2017/2018

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Luff with a couple more tonight. Dude is solidifying a spot, he has an uncanny knack for scoring.

Sean Walker also turning in another solid performance.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Agreed. That last Luff goal was pure Mike Richards, caught the Tucson goalie napping.

I would also add Gravel was absolutely brutal in his own end tonight. Losing physical battles along the boards and two brutal giveaways at point blank. Something is going on with the guy.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Luff has an incredible shot. He also is very good at finding those soft spots around the circles.

That had to be the worst game from Gravel at the AHL level. He simply was over matched all over the ice. That is not how you want to respond to being sent down.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
The game was awesome. It felt really good to be at a hockey game...
They had the goalies split the playing time and both played well. Peterson replaced Zatkoff at the halfway point. Peterson gave up a quick goal right when he took the ice and the fans got on him a litlle bit. Shortly after that he setteled in and was beauty.
Sutter, Mersch and Gravel wore "A"'.
I was looking forward to watching Imama play. The ref's were on him a bit.... He was given almost back to back penalties. Imama seemed to be frustrated with the situation/himself (?).
He will be a fan favorite.....
Besides Luff, Hensick and Watson having amazing games Falkovsky stood out to me.
Racine and Aliu on PTO's had decent showings.

Reactions: KingTrouty

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
As was said, Gravel had two mind blowing turnovers that were not like him. Needs to get his head on straight. Walker, what a find this guy has been. He looked great paired with Clague in rookie camp, and has been great in both games for the Reign. Kid can play. Too bad he is a bit undersized. AHL only contract at this point. Zatkoff had a solid effort, Petersen finding his way but he will be good. Imama was sort of like Dustin Brown in his prime, going out of his way to hit everything in sight but taking himself out of position. A lot of his hits are borderline late. Needs to play under more control and he'll be fine. He is an excellent skater. Luff is red hot. Reign roster is going to be tight. Some players are going to have to go to Juniors (Luff, Wagner (inj) only ones eligible) or the ECHL that could play at this level from what I see. Racine plays with an edge and was solid. Aliu has had some really bad turnovers both games, and although he skates very well and has size, I don't think he'll be in consideration. Falkovsky was a lot better in game two than game one. He was growing on me (seems like he makes some risky plays), and he skates decent for a big man and has a hard shot. No Reddekopp for either game makes me think he could be ECHL bound.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Did anyone make training camp yet?
I just realized I missed yesterday and today .
They are still having 10:45 a.m. practices at Ontario Center Ice on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week. Practices and times are subject to change so it's a good idea to double check before going.
I can't make the remainding days so I'm hoping someone else can make it and give us their insights .

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Did anyone make training camp yet?
I just realized I missed yesterday and today .
They are still having 10:45 a.m. practices at Ontario Center Ice on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week. Practices and times are subject to change so it's a good idea to double check before going.
I can't make the remainding days so I'm hoping someone else can make it and give us their insights .

I think they practiced very early in Riverside this weekend. Other locations must not be available. Should be seeing some PTO's cut soon.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
@JoeyZRadio is reporting Sholl, Aliu, Kurker, Cameranesi and Lynch all released from PTO's. Racine assigned to MAN.

Last edited:

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Paul LaDue will start the season in Ontario per Jon Rosen.

Auger and Campbell on waivers per Jonathan Hawks.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Possible opening day roster until Gaborik comes back to the Kings and one of Iafallo, Kempe or Brodzinski are sent down.

Mersch-Amadio-Watson
Maillet (A)-Hensick (A)-Luff
Herr- (A)-Sutter (A)-Auger
Imama-Crescenzi-Iverson (A)

Extra
Devane (LW) (A)
Schmalz (RW) (A)
Marcinew (C/RW) (A)
Wagner (LW) (INJ)

Gravel-LaDue
Lintuniemi-Roy
Falkovsky-Walker (A)
Leslie can be plugged in anywhere on the D if needed
Reddekopp (ECHL?)
Racine (A) going to ECHL

Campbell (if he clears)
Petersen
Zatkoff (back up if Campbell is grabbed, not sure what they will do if Campbell is on the team, but I'm sure something is likely in place)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rekingsfan17

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Possible opening day roster until Gaborik comes back to the Kings and one of Iafallo, Kempe or Brodzinski are sent down.

Mersch-Amadio-Watson
Maillet-Hensick (A)-Luff
Herr- (A)-Sutter (A)-Auger
Imama-Crescenzi-Iverson (A)

Extra
Devane (LW) (A)
Schmalz (RW) (A)
Marcinew (C/RW) (A)
Wagner (LW) (INJ)

Gravel-LaDue
Lintuniemi-Roy
Falkovsky-Walker (A)
Leslie can be plugged in anywhere on the D if needed
Reddekopp (ECHL?)
Racine (A) going to ECHL

Campbell (if he clears)
Petersen
Zatkoff (back up if Campbell is grabbed, not sure what they will do if Campbell is on the team, but I'm sure something is likely in place)
Thanks. Really appreciate this. You make it nice and easy to follow the Reign and what's going on there. I assume 'A' means AHL only contract?

It looks like a decent group to me especially if everyone clears. The forwards I'm most interested in are Imama, Amadio, Luff and Watson. I'm guessing Imama is a couple of years away from a bottom 3 role and Amadio is perhaps a mid season call up. What do you think the upside is on Luff and Watson? Do their game translate to the NHL?

Also what about Lintuniemi? He's been a bit of a project IIRC, do you see him getting a shot anytime soon?

Sorry, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I just prefer to get it from someone that watches these guys.

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thanks. Really appreciate this. You make it nice and easy to follow the Reign and what's going on there. I assume 'A' means AHL only contract?

It looks like a decent group to me especially if everyone clears. The forwards I'm most interested in are Imama, Amadio, Luff and Watson. I'm guessing Imama is a couple of years away from a bottom 3 role and Amadio is perhaps a mid season call up. What do you think the upside is on Luff and Watson? Do their game translate to the NHL?

Also what about Lintuniemi? He's been a bit of a project IIRC, do you see him getting a shot anytime soon?

Sorry, hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I just prefer to get it from someone that watches these guys.

Yes the (A) means AHL contract only.

They need one more offensive forward, like Iafallo, Kempe or Brodzinski to be really dangerous offensively, but this might be the best team that have had since they lost in the WCF two years ago. When Gaborik comes back we'll find out.

I would break our prospects down into four levels, those that should be NHLers, those that are tweeners as I call them, those that are too early to tell, and those not likely to ever play in the NHL. Of course, these are stricly my opinions based upon watching them at homes games in ONT the last two seasons, plus there limited time if applicable in the NHL.

Likely NHL bound
Campbell
Amadio
LaDue

Tweeners (NHL/AHL) won't embarrass themselves could possibly stick at some point in the league
Gravel
Mersch

Too early to tell
Watson
Luff
Imama
Roy
Falkovsky
Reddekopp
Petersen
Wagner

Not likely NHL material
Auger
Crescenzi
Lintuniemi*
Leslie

*My initial impressions were very poor of Lintuniemi for the first 1 1/2 seasons for his lapses in coverage and hockey IQ. There were some subtle improvement the second half of last year. This will be a big year in his development to see if he has what it takes, but if I had to answer today, I would say no.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
For those who are interested...

Manchester Monarchs‏Verified account @MonarchsHockey ;

10/03/2017 1:26 PM
-
MANCHESTER, N.H. – The Manchester Monarchs have announced their training camp roster, prior to the beginning of their 17th season in Manchester. Training camp will begin Tuesday, Oct. 3 at Sullivan Arena on the campus of St. Anselm College.
The Monarchs are the ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Los Angeles Kings.

The 17-man roster is as follows:

Forwards (12) – Connor Bates, Tony Cameranesi, Michael Doherty, Tommy Kelley, Gasper Kopitar, Sam Kurker, Jordan Lavallee-Smotherman, Matt Leitner, Zac Lynch, Shane McColgan, Tony Turgeon, Cory Ward

Defensemen (7) – Justin Agosta, Travis Jeke, David Kolomatis, Martin Nemcik, Colton Saucerman, Eric Schurhamer, Craig Wyszomirski

Goaltenders (1) – Charles Williams

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joseph Zakrzewski‏ @JoeyZRadio is reporting;

Forward Justin Auger and goalie Jack Camobell have arrived from @LAKings. Just walked in for practice.

Chemistry and combos a focus for @ontarioreign coaching staff.

Iverson-Marcinew-Schmalz skating in yellow today.

Herr is twirling around with Sutter and Watson.

Imama mucking it up with Crescenzi and Devane.

Luff flying around with Hensick and Mersch.

That leaves Maillet-Amadio-Auger
Once Gaborik comes back, someone gets bumped off the Kings (likely Iafallo or Brodzinksi, maybe Kempe) and Auger will likely be bumped down. Watson needs to be more involved. When it's 5v5, he is not very visible in the games.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
That leaves Maillet-Amadio-Auger
Once Gaborik comes back, someone gets bumped off the Kings (likely Iafallo or Brodzinksi, maybe Kempe) and Auger will likely be bumped down. Watson needs to be more involved. When it's 5v5, he is not very visible in the games.
If those guys do well enough maybe it's Andreoff that gets the bump...

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If those guys do well enough maybe it's Andreoff that gets the bump...

That is possible too, but I think less likely. Andy is what he is, and having him not dress or to fill in for Clifford is a reasonable role. Having the other guys not dress and not play isn't help to fulfill their potential ceiling, which is much higher. Better to have them play in the A and ride the bus than rot not dressing in the NHL

Reactions: KingTrouty

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
John Rosen wrote;

LaDue to Ontario; Laich PTO expires, but he’ll stick around a bit

Jon Rosen October 1, 2017

It is not expected that defenseman Paul LaDue will be on the 23-man roster the Kings must submit to the league by 2:00 p.m. PT Tuesday as multiple sources have confirmed to LA Kings Insider that he will open the year with the Ontario Reign.

LaDue, who won an NCAA Championship in 2016 with the University of North Dakota, totaled eight assist in 22 games. In July, he was re-signed to a one-year, two-way contract that carries a $874,125 cap hit.

I believe there are several processes going on that affect some of these players and others, so this is still fluid, but based on thorough conversations over the past week, Oscar Fantenberg had essentially earned his roster spot midway through the week, while the decision to send LaDue down, which is expected to keep Kurtis MacDermid with the club, had been decided roughly two or three days ago.

This is where the close proximity to an AHL affiliate will be a major boon to the team. Because none of the players would have to clear waivers, expect a potential rotation of players like MacDermid, Fantenberg, LaDue and Gravel to be added and subtracted to and from the roster at various points of the season, based on injury/unavailability and the particular needs of the team at that moment. The Ducks contributed quite comfortably to the coffers of the CA-73 Toll Road with the number of Anaheim-San Diego (and vice versa) transactions, and while I don’t anticipate a revolving door to the same degree, the Kings are expected give plenty of looks to the defenseman right on the bubble of the NHL roster, thus continuing to facilitate good competition on the back end (and, hypothetically, up front for players like Alex Iafallo, Adrian Kempe and Jonny Brodzinski).

Brooks Laich’s PTO has also expired without the forward having received an NHL contract. I’ve been told that it is possible that he may still skate at Toyota Sports Center, essentially practicing with the team, but I don’t have any indication that there is a future that will be bound by ink and paper.

With this in mind, the Kings roster is now expected to look like this:
Goalies (2): Quick, Kuemper
Defensemen (7): Folin, Muzzin, Doughty, Forbort, Martinez, Fantenberg, MacDermid
Forwards (14): Kopitar, Clifford, Cammalleri, Andreoff, Shore, Lewis, Brown, Dowd, Kempe, Pearson, Toffoli, Brodzinski, Carter, Iafallo

Again, this is fluid, and there are still several processes in work here as well as extraneous circumstances that could alter this projection. But based on available knowledge at the time, this is what I have. One semi-wild card is Marian Gaborik, who would be designated as Non-Roster Injured in the event he is not named to the opening 23-man roster. Because he didn’t play a preseason game, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him open the season as such....

Last edited:

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
Martinez to IR; LaDue getting recalled

Jon Rosen reported October 4, 2017;

Injuries

I don’t have a ton to go on at this point, but Alec Martinez has suffered a lower-body injury that will require him to go on injured reserve, and it has been confirmed that Paul LaDue is on the verge of a call-up to the LA Kings.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad