Ontario Reign 20-21 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
QUOTE="SFKingshomer, post: 177418944, member: 71466"]He was in a group of guys that could have gone from 3-10. After the top 2, it was a crap shoot. Funny thing is I think the top 2 won’t even be the best players from the draft.[/QUOTE]
No he wasn’t... Turc, Dach and Byram were that next tier... then it was everyone else up to 12

Last edited:
Reactions: RaymondReddington

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
I was a mildly disappointed in the Simontaival and Chromiak picks last year just for that reason, too many swings for the fences instead of shoring up the backbone.

But, even though it hasn't been stated by any one within the organization publicly, I do think that they may change their drafting focus away from looking for home runs towards safer character picks as their draft positioning sinks downward in the standings.

BPA is a myth, a platitude thrown out so you don't have to share the reasoning for the selection. There are so many factors worked into the selections that BPA is really Best Fit Available for the plan at the time.

If the idea was to address the glaring lack of skill left by Lombardi, they have really addressed that focus. Its too early to claim any kind of pattern, but the kinds of picks made as well as the pro roster moves show a full embrace of the rebuild. That is a longterm commitment, and while the scouting community has been dealt a shitty hand this year, I am very interested to see if they start looking for bigger wingers and defenders as the next priority.
They don't need to make safer picks, they have a whole team currently with the Kings who are bottom 6 forwards. They need the difference makers, the 50 point + guys. They don't need any more complimentary players because the team is already full of them. Draft now for guys who could break out, not someone with a high floor but low ceiling.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
They don't need to make safer picks, they have a whole team currently with the Kings who are bottom 6 forwards. They need the difference makers, the 50 point + guys. They don't need any more complimentary players because the team is already full of them. Draft now for guys who could break out, not someone with a high floor but low ceiling.

I dunno if I agree with that. The team is neutered by and large.

There are players in the org lauded for their leadership, like Turcotte, Anderson, JAD, and Bjornfot, but there are no nut swingers.

Reactions: bland

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
I also think the type of player you describe doesn't exist in the quantity it once used to, and you'll start seeing those guys getting overvalued again (I wanted Neighbors, for example, and look where he went)

That is so true. Where is a new Jarome Iginla or Shane Doan? I don't watch/see CHL games, but I watch as many as possible U18/U20 WJC-games. Canadian (and also USA) players doesn't play as physical game as earlier they played. They don't initiate contact much and my mind they even don't finnish their checks fully anymore. Size is there and they can skate better, but that old "intimidating"-factor, what Team Canada had, is gone. But new time and new rules and where is less hitting, there is less concussions and injuries and fights and that is a good thing.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
That is so true. Where is a new Jarome Iginla or Shane Doan? I don't watch/see CHL games, but I watch as many as possible U18/U20 WJC-games. Canadian (and also USA) players doesn't play as physical game as earlier they played. They don't initiate contact much and my mind they even don't finnish their checks fully anymore. Size is there and they can skate better, but that old "intimidating"-factor, what Team Canada had, is gone. But new time and new rules and where is less hitting, there is less concussions and injuries and fights and that is a good thing.

That is true. We have some skilled players like Brady Tkachuk or Landeskog or prime Ovi that do play the body a bit but there is no more massive open ice monsters we used to see. A lot of defense are going smaller and mobile as well

that’s why I really like the prospect of Byfield being a bull. Who is going to stop him once he puts on that extra muscle and pushes his may through Defences. He may be a newer age power forward as the power forward concept a lot of us grew up watching is gone.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Hey guys, a Frölunda supporer here! I'm wondering a bit about Samuel Fagemo and Jacob Moverare, how have they done since they joined the Kings organisation? I know Fagemo has scored a bit, but how has he looked? And how's Moverare's play been? Do you think he's going to get a new contract?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey guys, a Frölunda supporer here! I'm wondering a bit about Samuel Fagemo and Jacob Moverare, how have they done since they joined the Kings organisation? I know Fagemo has scored a bit, but how has he looked? And how's Moverare's play been? Do you think he's going to get a new contract?

Fagemo recently missed a long stretch of games with an ankle injury and has just returned to the line up. I've been impressed with his one-timer shot on the PP and offensive instincts, but he needs to work on his overall game in NA, especially defensively. He has 13 pts in 22 games. Not sure if he'll get a look with the Kings this year (especially if the Kings are still in the playoff race), but he may compete for one of the roster spots next season as I expect some turnover. Moverare was injured in the 3rd game of the season, missing 14 games over about 6 weeks. But since he has returned he's been probably the most impressive defensive prospect in my eyes (my opinion only of course). His positioning is solid, hockey IQ seems to be really good, and his offensive vision and lateral movement with the puck has been surprisingly strong. His skating (mostly foot speed/quickness) while I understand is vastly improved from what it used to be, still is a touch below NHL average (much like Mikey Anderson), and he needs to continue to get stronger for his size, seems to get out-muscled at times. I'd be shocked if the Kings didn't qualify him with a new contract, he has potential.

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Moverare was injured in the 3rd game of the season, missing 14 games over about 6 weeks. But since he has returned he's been probably the most impressive defensive prospect in my eyes (my opinion only of course). His positioning is solid, hockey IQ seems to be really good, and his offensive vision and lateral movement with the puck has been surprisingly strong. His skating (mostly foot speed/quickness) while I understand is vastly improved from what it used to be, still is a touch below NHL average (much like Mikey Anderson), and he needs to continue to get stronger for his size, seems to get out-muscled at times. I'd be shocked if the Kings didn't qualify him with a new contract, he had potential.

Just here to say that I completely agree with your take on Moverare.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but is anyone else surprised that Alex Turcotte has 2 goals in 23 games? I find it astonishing that he is having such a tough time scoring. He had 43 goals in 60 games in his US Junior team's 2018-2019 season.

Alex Turcotte Stats and News

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but is anyone else surprised that Alex Turcotte has 2 goals in 23 games? I find it astonishing that he is having such a tough time scoring. He had 43 goals in 60 games in his US Junior team's 2018-2019 season.

Alex Turcotte Stats and News

I'm not surprised because I've had that fact crammed down my throat anytime I've suggested I'm remotely happy with Turcotte's season.

He shot 27% in that 2019 season, 14% in college and is currently shooting 5%. Some of that is self inflicted and growth, some of that is dude is just crazy snakebitten.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Kaliyev has an NHL shot kids just needs to be more consistent. Great goal from the kid. Byfield and Ak34 two youngest kids leading the Reign.

Reactions: apadilla

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I'm not surprised because I've had that fact crammed down my throat anytime I've suggested I'm remotely happy with Turcotte's season.

He shot 27% in that 2019 season, 14% in college and is currently shooting 5%. Some of that is self inflicted and growth, some of that is dude is just crazy snakebitten.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but the declines in his shooting percentage is semi-troubling. What have you been happy about his play? I'm purely a stat watcher with the Reign.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but the declines in his shooting percentage is semi-troubling. What have you been happy about his play? I'm purely a stat watcher with the Reign.

He does a lot of the little things well. His offense hasn't been there, but he brings energy, shifty defense, and I still see that "it" factor.

He's having a tough rookie season though, no doubt. He's skating hard but it's not showing up on the score sheet. Most kids don't light up the AHL at 19.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Hindsight is...I always wanted the prospects,Turcotte included to stay that extra 2-3 years of college,and Europe and then let the cards fall where they may! Who is the agent...who was pushing the youngsters?Its a wake up call I've seen a million times unfortunately...year 2 will extra important for Turcotte as will year 3

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Immediately after the Sharks drafted Scott Reedy the Kings took,Mikey Anderson...great pick for LA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad