Only For Those Who Have Actually Seen These Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Brownov*

Now their is an awful lot of opinions about Ovechkin and Malkin.Ovechkin is a two way player with exceptional passing skills or Malkin has all the tools to be a power forward like Rick Nash.I only want opinions from only the ones that have actually seen these two play.So my question is,who has the better scoring touch?I don't want any guessing because of an article that you have stumbled upon.Thnx

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
I have over 50 highlights of Ovechkin and from those it seems that he uses his wristshot most often, and when he does use his slapshot it's low. Malkin I think has a much better slapshot, judging from the video I have of a perfect-form slapshot where he just roofed it. Ovechkin has a wicked killer wristshot, and Malkin seems to have a very very good slapshot. I don't exactly know what you mean by "scoring touch". Ovechkin got 13 goals in the Superleague this year and Malkin got 3, though Malkin is about 10 months younger. I think you'll have to wait and see who has more "scoring touch". I don't think you can just speculate from the few times we have seen them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've only seen Malkin twice, but Rick Nash? I don't see that. He's skilled offensively and made some nice passes especially on the PP, but that's only from 2 games vs CSKA and AK Bars. I've only seen Ovechkin 2 times in the wjc's and once this year for Dynamo. At the wjc's he was impressive, one of the better young players I've ever seen. But in the one game against AK Bars, (a good defensive team from what I understand) he didn't do much of anything. I'm in no way saying he isn't good, just that in one game he was average. From what I've seen from him at the wjc's though, he looks like he will be a great one for sure.

Mr.Brownov*

By scoring touch i mean,sniper instincts or a naturalist around the net or flat out goal scorer.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I think I would much have a wrist shot finisher, it just seems more effective... just look at guys like Sakic to checkers like Draper. Slapshots have to be set up by someone else most of the time, like for guys like Hull.

If Malkin is more of a playmaker, I wouldnt take him in the top 5, teams want guys who can light it up

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
cheesymc said:
I think I would much have a wrist shot finisher, it just seems more effective... just look at guys like Sakic to checkers like Draper. Slapshots have to be set up by someone else most of the time, like for guys like Hull.

If Malkin is more of a playmaker, I wouldnt take him in the top 5, teams want guys who can light it up

id take a playmaker over a goalscorer, goalscorers disappear in the playoffs unless your team is clearly the dominant team

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
cheesymc said:

I have to agree with what others have said and disagree strongly with you . . . scoring touch can not be taught, but it can be found . . . and is not that rare, rob brown made a career of it for instance when he was in Pittsburgh, and there are many out there who can score, have a nose for the puck . . . playmakers are rarer. I have heard of Gretsky and Lemieux that what set them apart was not their scoring, though they had that as well of course, but their 'ice sense' . . . the ability to see what was going on everywhere at once and to make that impossible pass, similar to a great quarterback who just knows which WR is breaking free. BTW, Mario and Gretsky were the whole deal and had both, scoring touch and perhaps the greatest ice sense anyone has ever seen in hockey.

Now on the other hand I am guessing that AO has a bit of that 'ice sense' as well, but to address the statement above, I would take a playmaker over a goal scorer any day of the week. If Malkin (and I have no idea if this is so) has less goal scoring touch than AO, but not a huge amount less for instance, but more of that ice sense, I would take Malkin over AO. Wouldn't anoyone?

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
I believe playmakers are more valuable than pure goal scorers because playmakers have that ability to make others around them much more effective while most pure goal scorers do not.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I have seen Ovechkin quite a bit via video-clips & international games that I get to see now and then.

Ovechkin, I'd compare kind of to a Joe Sakic on the wing. A young Joe Sakic especially. You can tell there is a difference though, and most of that comes from Russian coaches compared to Canadian coaches. One thing that really strikes me about both of them is they love to shoot the puck, which is great.

Malkin I know a little less about, but I have seen him play. I agree with another poster than Nash is not a good comparison. From what I've seen, a playmaking Alexei Yashin would be more apt. I don't think Malkin will ever be a power forward in the NHL, but he will use his big frame to fend off attackers. He doesn't have a shot like Yashin did, and maybe he's not quite as talented as Yashin was. He does seem to have more heart though.

In terms of character, Malkin from what I know of him has heart, but that's about all I know about him character-wise. Ovechkin I know quite a bit more about, and let me tell you, he is for the most part a very quiet, humble person off the ice, much like Joe Sakic. He is not scared to say when he played bad, and I don't think you'll ever see him talk about how good he is either. Ovechkin may lack some of the 'fire' that Kovalchuk has, but Sakic lacked a bit of the fire Yzerman had, and it didn't hold him back.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
Mizral said:
I have seen Ovechkin quite a bit via video-clips & international games that I get to see now and then.

Ovechkin, I'd compare kind of to a Joe Sakic on the wing. A young Joe Sakic especially. You can tell there is a difference though, and most of that comes from Russian coaches compared to Canadian coaches. One thing that really strikes me about both of them is they love to shoot the puck, which is great.

Malkin I know a little less about, but I have seen him play. I agree with another poster than Nash is not a good comparison. From what I've seen, a playmaking Alexei Yashin would be more apt. I don't think Malkin will ever be a power forward in the NHL, but he will use his big frame to fend off attackers. He doesn't have a shot like Yashin did, and maybe he's not quite as talented as Yashin was. He does seem to have more heart though.

In terms of character, Malkin from what I know of him has heart, but that's about all I know about him character-wise. Ovechkin I know quite a bit more about, and let me tell you, he is for the most part a very quiet, humble person off the ice, much like Joe Sakic. He is not scared to say when he played bad, and I don't think you'll ever see him talk about how good he is either. Ovechkin may lack some of the 'fire' that Kovalchuk has, but Sakic lacked a bit of the fire Yzerman had, and it didn't hold him back.

Malkin's bodywork, is it more like Hossa/Jagr-like?

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
Mizral said:
He's more aggressive than Jagr, that's for sure, but he won't ever be compared to Cam Neely either. Put it that way.

Thank you, I was just wondering, because when you said a non-powerforward that used his body to fend off attackers, it reminded me of Jagr and Hossa.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ovechkin is much like a young Federov. The guy will score from anywhere but high slot is his favorite spot. He is much more physical then Federov though.

sparkplug

Apr 30, 2004
Vancouver BC
JasonMacIsaac said:
Ovechkin is much like a young Federov. The guy will score from anywhere but high slot is his favorite spot. He is much more physical then Federov though.

At times, Fedorov could be a perimeter player. How often does this guy go into the deep slot?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Ovehckin? Well when I seen him vs USA two years ago he got two of his goals with tap ins around the crease and one goal cutting around the hash marks and ripped a low wrist shot by. In other games vs weaker compitition he seemed to get fancy wit the puck rather then drive to the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad