Only 3 wins in last 11 games - Are you worried?

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
In this case, I really do believe it is the coach. As Tiranis pointed out, teams have wizened up to AV's long-pass system, and once it gets cut off, he seems to be unable to teach the team to adapt. The other problem is that the system is frail - once it fails, it bombs and the Canucks get demoralized for 7+ goals.

It's ridiculous how a team with such skill and depth can't score more than 1 goal per game in the playoffs in their last 2 series. I'd argue that the team is winning on talent and goaltending, in spite of the coaching which has gone stale. AV had his time, and like most coaches, it eventually wears. Even guys like Quenneville and Hitchcock get fired.

I don't know, you might be right, but I've just seen too many coaches fired, only to be replaced and have the team show similar results, or even regress. Look at the Capitals last year. They pretty much remained status quo after Boudreau left.

Johnny LaRue

Jul 21, 2005
Abbotsford
I think if we fired AV no, it would merely be for a "shake up". I think AV is a good coach and he and the team just need to find their groove. I know less than most of you guys, but it seems to me that we've seen big shake-ups is most areas of the team.

The goal-tending went from Luongo being the undisputed number 1 goalie to Schneider being goalie 1A to Luongo's 1B. We have Kesler out which means that the second line and even first line has had to change.

Even on defence, we've had changes there as well meaning that we have some defencemen playing different roles and facing new challenges.

These aren't always fixed quickly.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
The only difference is two President's Trophies and a Finals appearance. But really, it's not that different is it?

Why are you comparing Keenan's team to the current one? Because you think I am (I'm not, btw)? I'm saying I'm rather mellow these days.

King of the ES*

This team is pretty clearly rolling over into the pool of mediocrity, if they're not there already. Old, tired, and just nonchalant - the team has pretty clearly become complacent, IMO, guys are way too comfortable in their spots on this roster that really hasn't changed very significantly since Gillis arrived. Too many guys on the team, in their 30s, with big contracts and young families, probably don't care all that much about sacrificing what it takes to win a Stanley Cup. They got close in 2011 - and I think for many, that's good enough.

If they're serious at all about making a run for the Cup this year, Gillis needs to make a serious trade that seriously alters the makeup of this team. Personally, I would not be surprised at all to see Ryan Kesler traded. Not saying that I'm in favour of that, but I would not be surprised to see it happen.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So stupid how just because LA did it last year, everyone's advocating slinking into the playoffs as an 8th seed as if it were some advantage.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I don't know, you might be right, but I've just seen too many coaches fired, only to be replaced and have the team show similar results, or even regress. Look at the Capitals last year. They pretty much remained status quo after Boudreau left.

Actually Dale Hunter did a pretty impressive job as he got the Caps to buy in and eliminate the Bruins last year.

Obviously there are two factors here:

1) The "Honeymoon Period" which can be taken advantage of by Gillis if AV is fired now.

2) Dale Hunter is a good coach and is respected. AV would have to be replaced by someone good, not just Newell Brown or Bowness, for instance.

Bylsma and Sutter are two obvious examples where it has worked. I think if you have the pieces, and a decent replacement, a coaching change will almost assuredly benefit in the short-term.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
This team is pretty clearly rolling over into the pool of mediocrity, if they're not there already. Old, tired, and just nonchalant - the team has pretty clearly become complacent, IMO, guys are way too comfortable in their spots on this roster that really hasn't changed very significantly since Gillis arrived. Too many guys on the team, in their 30s, with big contracts and young families, probably don't care all that much about sacrificing what it takes to win a Stanley Cup. They got close in 2011 - and I think for many, that's good enough.

If they're serious at all about making a run for the Cup this year, Gillis needs to make a serious trade that seriously alters the makeup of this team. Personally, I would not be surprised at all to see Ryan Kesler traded. Not saying that I'm in favour of that, but I would not be surprised to see it happen.

Who exactly? Other than Bieksa, who just looks nonchalant at times, plays that way?

Confused? Sure. Struggling to score? Certainly. Any of the things you've posted? Not one. And from there you get this gem:

" They got close in 2011 - and I think for many, that's good enough"

What evidence of this can you possibly have? It's like, because they're struggling, any manner of criticism is correct.

Crows*

Who exactly? Other than Bieksa, who just looks nonchalant at times, plays that way?

Confused? Sure. Struggling to score? Certainly. Any of the things you've posted? Not one. And from there you get this gem:

What evidence of this can you possibly have? It's like, because they're struggling, any manner of criticism is correct.

I know one thing. The twins aren't playing complacent. They are in top form and competing unbelievably.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The last ten games have been upheaval on the roster! Lost another respected comrade to waivers, soon after losing a leader in Malhotra. Injuries to Kesler and Bieksa, two key guys. Added a lumbering behemouth?! Inserting two spare defensemen, mixing the D up a lot.

Vignault knows his roster better, now and the team is still winning the division. All good. It looks like Chicago has designs on the President's Trophy, this season. I guess the Canucks will have to chase the other one.

King of the ES*

No evidence, just trying to explain what I'm seeing on the ice, which, to me, looks like a collection of guys comfortable with their positions, with big contracts and (truthfully) not a lot of incentive to perform.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Actually Dale Hunter did a pretty impressive job as he got the Caps to buy in and eliminate the Bruins last year.

Obviously there are two factors here:

1) The "Honeymoon Period" which can be taken advantage of by Gillis if AV is fired now.

2) Dale Hunter is a good coach and is respected. AV would have to be replaced by someone good, not just Newell Brown or Bowness, for instance.

Bylsma and Sutter are two obvious examples where it has worked. I think if you have the pieces, and a decent replacement, a coaching change will almost assuredly benefit in the short-term.

But was the success of the Penguins and Kings due to a coaching change, or the maturation of the team as a whole and personnel changes? This is where it gets hazy.

It's not like Pittsburgh was a bottom dweller that won the cup under Bylsma, they had already been to the finals the year before and likely benefited from growing up a year and gaining experience. As for the Kings, getting Carter changed the dynamic of that team in a big way. Until the trade, Sutter was still losing the same way Murray was and the team was still wildly inconsistent and incapable of scoring much.

Wizeman*

The last ten games have been upheaval on the roster! Lost another respected comrade to waivers, soon after losing a leader in Malhotra. Injuries to Kesler and Bieksa, two key guys. Added a lumbering behemouth?! Inserting two spare defensemen, mixing the D up a lot.

Vignault knows his roster better, now and the team is still winning the division. All good. It looks like Chicago has designs on the President's Trophy, this season. I guess the Canucks will have to chase the other one.

I like your attitude. :handclap:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I kind of feel like with Kesler out, it isn't fair to expect anything better than 500 hockey. They've been doing much better than that, so I can't complain, even though it's hard not to be skeptical moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->