Only 3 wins in last 11 games - Are you worried?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by NucksRuleYep, Mar 6, 2013.

1. BB6

BB6 Registered User

Been worried since we lost to Boston in the finals, can any of you look in the mirror and say this team is better than the one that couldn't get it done then?
    Of the people that say yes, I'll wager 90% of you blame Luongo for not winning the cup.

If nothing big happens then we're forever going to be a team that is almost good enough and in a couple years our window is gone.

2. Crows*

Crows* Guest

I think we need some perspective. After 22 games in 2010-2011 the Canucks were 12-7-3.

Not much different.

3. mrmyheadhurts

mrmyheadhurts Registered Boozer

I don't worry until we hit the 10 games before the playoffs mark. Until that point, it's all about figuring out what we're going to do when the playoffs start. This team will make the playoffs and this stupid, shortened season will be meaningless once they start.

4. Grumbler

Grumbler Registered User

Very worried...we NEED TO WIN THE NEXT 26 GAMES. Anything less than that we need to reform the team.

5. ItsAllPartOfThePlan

ItsAllPartOfThePlan Registered User

Yeah..disagree with every single point here.

6. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Home Page:
    Who in Chicago would be able to come up and help this team?

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Fire Benning

After 22 games in 2010-2011, we were only 1/4 into the season.

A lot different.

8. Barney Gumble

Barney Gumble Registered User

Exactly. The "margin for error" is extremely slim. It looks like no team other than the division winner in the NW will make the playoffs; even a modest losing streak from now on (at least modest by a full 82 game schedule standards) could put that in jeopardy for us. The "good news" - perhaps that'll shake things up with respect to our coaching staff if the worst happens. Too much complacency - *especially* are so-called PP coach. As others have mentioned, good/solid coaching in terms of overall design but unable or unwilling to adapt/make changes when the opposition takes countermeasures that prove to be effective.

9. Crows*

Crows* Guest

Well by the 48 game mark if that season the canucks were virtually unbearable. So if that is the case Again, I like those chances.

10. Crows*

Crows* Guest

Ok let me post that again. No edit feature available and on my phone. Not unbearable... Unbeatable..

11. Barney Gumble

Barney Gumble Registered User

They also had built up a substantial lead (unless I'm mistaken) for the NW division title then. Ain't such a large gap now.

12. Crows*

Crows* Guest

The gap wasn't that big at the 22 game mark.

All I'm saying is if they can figure out their game by the same 48 game mark like that year... It bodes well

13. ItsAllPartOfThePlan

ItsAllPartOfThePlan Registered User

Jensen for a forward or Ebbett if you are desperate. That would be in a limited role, but any playoff team would do the same thing. No team is going to put a rookie for top 6 mins unless you are Edmonton or florida. On defense, Andersson or Connauton could fill in for brief stretches. We also have Joslin signed.

But regardless, I was more referring to the 'cupboard is bare' point he made.

14. galiano

galiano Registered User

none
    Home Page:

The future cubboard has some worthwhile players, particularly on D but the present cupboard is bare.

Other than Jensen, a long shot at the moment, the rest of your call up list is pathetic. Andersson is making progress but is no where NHL ready, Connauton has been a train wreck in Chicago. His offence has disappeared and his defence is terrible - by far the worst +/- on the team at - 11. He would be a disaster on the Canucks. Joslin for a couple of games ok. And the forwards in the cupboard ? Ebbett ? Billy Sweat ? brutal. Bare cupboard Mr Gillis.

15. galiano

galiano Registered User

none
    Home Page:

Care to expand on this ?

16. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    So you were referring to a specific point? But you said every point ;)

Jensen could probably help us, but I wouldn't expect much more impact than what we've gotten from Schroeder or Kassian.

Ebbett can't help us. We've seen that movie and it's terrible.

Connauton seems to have regressed. Maybe he could help, maybe not.

Andersson is nowhere near ready, and Joslin is worse than Cam Barker IMO.

Our present day cupboard is extremely bare right now.

17. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Registered User

Some concern is creeping into my mind but there's still lots of time to iron out the kinks. So far I see the season in these terms.

We had a slow start that I attribute to what our players were doing during the lockout. Once we got up to speed things went well, even in the absence of Kelser. When Kesler came back there was the typical letdown you see from players that have been playing above their usual role while a key player is out. Kesler breaks his foot and never gets up to speed after being a disruption to the chemistry the team had developed in his absense (not his fault, just the way it goes). Then Bieksa gets hurt and without Kesler or Bieksa the team struggles to play their usual game.

18. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    Either that or we just took advantage of beating teams in our weak division, and once we started playing teams from other divisions who are better we started losing and Kesler's return just coincided with that timing of the schedule?

19. brownbello

brownbello Registered User

I'm not bashing our coaching, but want to consider something. I'm not expert but I believe the coaching indicators would be special teams and I think the slide we are seeing (which is not really a slide but other teams getting better) is on our special teams.

What I'm curious about is how many ideas can the same coaching staff have? I haven't coached much but everybody has there style and I'm not sure if they're able to adjust. It just seems like our special teams have been figured out and we've gotten stale.

20. aandbreatheme

aandbreatheme Registered User

This is just pure comical. They're our best players, hands down, and somehow through your twisted logic you work them into what's wrong with the team right now? Unbelievable. Wait, coming from you, not so much.

21. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    Where did I say they are what's wrong with the team?

22. opendoor

opendoor Registered User

FWIW, 20 games into 10-11 the Canucks were in 8th place, 2 points out of 13th, and only had a +4 goal differential. They were also 1-4-2 against non-NW division Western Conference teams.

Obviously the shortened season means they'll have way less ground to make up for any issues to start the season, but it really is a little early to be sounding alarm bells.

That's not to say that there aren't many concerning signs with the team, but I've seen enough recent years of the Canucks having poorer starts than this to know to withhold judgement for a bit. It's not like they give out a prize for being the first to correctly predict that the team will fail.

23. Wheatley

Wheatley We Rabite You

Remember in 2009 I think it was, the Canucks had a 7 game losing streak, or something along those lines.

Everyone was calling for AV to be fired, saying we'd never make it past the second round with him as our coach, let alone make the Stanley Cup finals.

Those were good times.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  24. Cocoa Crisp

Cocoa Crisp Registered User

This team will make the playoffs. I'm certain of it. If we're in the bottom 4 so be it.

What I haven't liked the past few years is the mentality that if the team plays 'the right way', has the 'right habits' - I'm paraphrasing Hank here - that we'll be able to translate that to success in the postseason. So we end up finding a groove where we play 0.667 hockey for most of the year and come to the conclusion that it's because of their excellent habits and my, how wonderful everything is.

BS.

The playoffs are about momentum, getting hot at the right time and exhibiting a desperation that comes as a result of constant pressure and discomfort. That's the team that usually hoists the Cup at the end of the year.

Hopefully the shortened season will keep them from settling back into comfortable old habits, despite how well that translates into President's Trophies and Division Titles.

25. mavstar

mavstar No expectations

boob doctor
    The Kings proved that playoff seeding doesn't matter. As long as we're in the playoff picture, I'm not worried.