Only 3 wins in last 11 games - Are you worried?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Chicago has the PT pretty much locked up, they would have to play .500 hockey and the Canucks would have to go on a hot streak for the Canucks to have any chance of catching them. However, the Canucks have won the last two PT's, so if they go on a deep playoff run, it shouldn't come as a surprise to many other than the haters.

The bright side of finishing 2nd or 3rd would be that the Canucks wouldn't have to play Chicago until the conference finals. Who knows how many injuries they accumulate before then? They might even get upset. Crawford has yet to play well when it counts, and cost Chicago the series vs Phoenix last playoffs.

I don't fear LA, Quick has fallen back down to Earth. I don't take Anaheim too seriously either, Fasth is already cooling off from his hot streak. I think Vancouver could take anyone else in the hunt, once they get their problems sorted out.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Not worried. This is a cup winning caliber team struggling to find it's groove. While many individual players are struggling (Edler at the moment), we're seeing so many positives that haven't been there in the past.

The team isn't living off the goaltending and power play. The Sedins are play some of the best hockey I've ever seen from them, along with Raymond, Hansen, Higgins and Tanev. There is clearly the right mix of size and skill on the team, but the puck isn't going in as it should be. Sure it's frustrating, but the fact is the team is severely under performing on the scoreboard while still giving it a ton of effort.

The defense and the forwards are starting to find and support each other a bit more, and we're seeing guys like Hamhuis and Garrison become much more reliable. It's just a matter of time and being patient.

I've posted earlier that this is finally a season where how they place isn't as important as figuring out how to play again as a team. We've seen it time and again with cup winners, where during the regular season they don't always look very dangerous. This is the Canucks.

Clearly Lapierre is not showing well on the third line, but we're seeing Vigneault's insistence on having a big bodied player man that position. With how well Kassian and Booth are playing, it's simply a matter of time before Schroeder get's a decent look with them. We all know he plays better with more skilled linemates, and then that leaves a very credible fourth line with size, speed and hitting.

There is more than enough time to find out how well Schroeder can play before Kesler returns. Av may be frustrating at times, but he tends to eventually get things right.

This constant freaking out about a crappy goal now and again, or inconsistent games, wins, etc really needs to stop. This season is about figuring out who fits where and what style of play is going to work best in different situations. Clearly they are mixing things up game to game, and while it's a bit frustrating, there is likely more method than madness to it.

The power play looks amazing, and it's freakish that they didn't score several on it tonight. There were a ton of shots generated and they moved the puck extremely effectively and had little trouble gaining the zone. I like both PP units now that Garrison is getting comfortable.

I think posters here need to settle down a bit and look at the bigger picture. I hate losing more than the next fan, but we've got to look at the larger picture here. This is an amazing group of players, most of whom are right in their prime. They're not going to struggle in the playoffs, and it's good that they're facing some adversity and they're far from looking complacent.

My feeling is this isn't the season to get to worked up over the team struggling to find it's legs.
I will agree with that. I'll take whatever is happening this year than winning the President's trophy last year. They were very complacent last season and won games they shouldn't have. Watching them you knew there was a problem but no one did anything about it because they were still winning games. At least this year none of it is getting masked and they are actually losing games and facing adversity instead of somehow pulling out wins miraculously and everyone pretending that everything is fine.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I will agree with that. I'll take whatever is happening this year than winning the President's trophy last year. They were very complacent last season and won games they shouldn't have. Watching them you knew there was a problem but no one did anything about it because they were still winning games. At least this year none of it is getting masked and they are actually losing games and facing adversity instead of somehow pulling out wins miraculously and everyone pretending that everything is fine.

Exactly. Frankly, I was stoked they won a second president's trophy cause they sure didn't look much like a threat to win the cup. I'm still pretty shocked they won the PT back to back.

Sure they're having a similar struggle to score goals this season, but it's for very different reasons. This team has a lot of very solid players, all in their prime, all very hungry for a cup, with many having come extremely close and then having such a terrible time last season.

It's a very good situation for the Canucks at the moment. Clearly not so much for the nervous, cup starved fans.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Also while Chicago is out of reach I think 2nd place is very much attainable. Anaheim as good as they are and shouldn't be taken lightly have gotten unreal goaltending. With that they are just 6 pts ahead of us one game in hand. They lose that one, we are 6 pts back, they win 8. That's 3 or 4 more wins we need than Anaheim in the remainder of the season, which I think is very doable. However, we need to get out of this slide before we even discuss 2nd place let alone 3rd.

LolClarkson*

Neither do I, but I still want them to make the playoffs, they are only 3 points out of the top 8.

It's one thing to be confident, but I feel many Canucks feel like they are entitled a playoff spot. It's not guarantee.

If Minnesota wins some of their head to head match ups, we can start scoreboard watching for the rest of the year.

I am aware of that. It happened with the WCE core and it happened with first Loungo core once. (thought we were making the playoffs)

LolClarkson*

I don't see it. Look no further than our PP, absolutely no urgency at the most of times. Tonight's PP was actually good, but usually there's no urgency to score. Spend too much time fiddling around with the puck in their own end, trying to enter the zone, too many passes etc.

They are looking for shooting lanes. The PP looked great. It reminds me of the PP that Detroit had 8 years ago.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
not worried, just resigned to the fact the canucks can't hang with chicago. blackhawks have way too much depth.

nucks only path to success in playoffs is an upset in round 1

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
Not worried. This is a cup winning caliber team struggling to find it's groove. While many individual players are struggling (Edler at the moment), we're seeing so many positives that haven't been there in the past.

The team isn't living off the goaltending and power play. The Sedins are play some of the best hockey I've ever seen from them, along with Raymond, Hansen, Higgins and Tanev. There is clearly the right mix of size and skill on the team, but the puck isn't going in as it should be. Sure it's frustrating, but the fact is the team is severely under performing on the scoreboard while still giving it a ton of effort.

The defense and the forwards are starting to find and support each other a bit more, and we're seeing guys like Hamhuis and Garrison become much more reliable. It's just a matter of time and being patient.

I've posted earlier that this is finally a season where how they place isn't as important as figuring out how to play again as a team. We've seen it time and again with cup winners, where during the regular season they don't always look very dangerous. This is the Canucks.

Clearly Lapierre is not showing well on the third line, but we're seeing Vigneault's insistence on having a big bodied player man that position. With how well Kassian and Booth are playing, it's simply a matter of time before Schroeder get's a decent look with them. We all know he plays better with more skilled linemates, and then that leaves a very credible fourth line with size, speed and hitting.

There is more than enough time to find out how well Schroeder can play before Kesler returns. Av may be frustrating at times, but he tends to eventually get things right.

This constant freaking out about a crappy goal now and again, or inconsistent games, wins, etc really needs to stop. This season is about figuring out who fits where and what style of play is going to work best in different situations. Clearly they are mixing things up game to game, and while it's a bit frustrating, there is likely more method than madness to it.

The power play looks amazing, and it's freakish that they didn't score several on it tonight. There were a ton of shots generated and they moved the puck extremely effectively and had little trouble gaining the zone. I like both PP units now that Garrison is getting comfortable.

I think posters here need to settle down a bit and look at the bigger picture. I hate losing more than the next fan, but we've got to look at the larger picture here. This is an amazing group of players, most of whom are right in their prime. They're not going to struggle in the playoffs, and it's good that they're facing some adversity and they're far from looking complacent.

My feeling is this isn't the season to get to worked up over the team struggling to find it's legs.

Bingo. last nights game was a huge step in the right direction. If we keep playing they way we did, I think we can knock off any team.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Personally I haven't been overly confident in this team in quite some time. They have some major issues and I'm not sure they have the sand to win a cup. But am I worried about this recent stretch? No. They've played pretty well and in the end all that matters is getting into the playoffs and getting on a hot streak. If they can do that, and get healthy, maybe we see some fireworks in June. If not, another year to add to the list of Canuck fan dissapointment. But at this stage, I'm not any more worried than I have been since the Boston series.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
All that I see is a team that will be knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Been worried since the off season and I've made that very clear. This team isn't as good as people want to believe. No, it's not the same team that went to the Cup finals. The loss of what Raffi Torres brought in terms of physicality has never been replaced. The loss of what Ehrhoff brought in terms of mobility and a transition game has never been replaced. The Sedins are older and now need those extra offensive zone starts just to hang around a point per game. Kesler is a walking injury. And we no longer have any prospects in the cupboard who can step up now that Schroeder is a full time member of the lineup (being misused I might add). Until Gillis stops ignoring our need for another high end talent up front we will continue to slowly regress to mediocrity.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
I'm not confident with the team and style of play lately. If I were to sum it up:

- We need a right handed defenseman (via trade)
- We need a solid 3C or top 6 scoring winger (trade again)
- A change in the special teams coaching staff (defence + PP is looking awfully poor)

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Been worried since the off season and I've made that very clear. This team isn't as good as people want to believe. No, it's not the same team that went to the Cup finals. The loss of what Raffi Torres brought in terms of physicality has never been replaced. The loss of what Ehrhoff brought in terms of mobility and a transition game has never been replaced. The Sedins are older and now need those extra offensive zone starts just to hang around a point per game. Kesler is a walking injury. And we no longer have any prospects in the cupboard who can step up now that Schroeder is a full time member of the lineup (being misused I might add). Until Gillis stops ignoring our need for another high end talent up front we will continue to slowly regress to mediocrity.

Sedins are playing some of their best hockey since their Art Ross seasons, after that lull last year. They might not be scoring quite as much, but they're also giving up hardly any chances and their possession time is other-worldly, even accounting for their zone starts. Their offensive zone starts are down from last year and they're facing up against other 1st lines on a regular basis, as the primary "shutdown" unit at this time (whereas in the past they've received relatively easy minutes).

I would say they are MORE dominant right now than they were in 10-11 and Henrik is +13 in 22 games for a reason.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think when you worry about a team, you need to start looking at some underlying numbers. One of the easiest ones to look at is just goal differential, and when you look at the Canucks, you see a strong goal differential of.... +2... which makes you feel more confide --

/runs away screaming

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Sedins are playing some of their best hockey since their Art Ross seasons, after that lull last year. They might not be scoring quite as much, but they're also giving up hardly any chances and their possession time is other-worldly, even accounting for their zone starts. Their offensive zone starts are down from last year and they're facing up against other 1st lines on a regular basis, as the primary "shutdown" unit at this time (whereas in the past they've received relatively easy minutes).

I would say they are MORE dominant right now than they were in 10-11 and Henrik is +13 in 22 games for a reason.

They're the lone bright spot right now. The defense, goaltending, and bottom 6 forwards all range from mediocre to unmitigated disaster.

galiano

Mar 12, 2003
why do you ask ?
Visit site
I see the Canucks as a team slowly sliding into mediocrity. A couple of years ago when a game went into overtime it was almost a gimme for Vancouver. Or if they got down a couple of goals in regulation it didn't matter because we knew they could easily come back.

I think Gillis has been really over rated as a GM and is watching while the team slips. How about if we still had Grabner and Hodgson ? Or he had pulled the trigger on that supposed deal with Toronto at the start of the season. The Canucks are now 16th in goals for. 16th !

And do we have a single player in Chicago who could really help ? ( Jensen maybe ). The cupboard is bare.

We have been too patient with Gillis. He's doing a crappy job. This team is going nowhere.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I see the Canucks as a team slowly sliding into mediocrity. A couple of years ago when a game went into overtime it was almost a gimme for Vancouver. Or if they got down a couple of goals in regulation it didn't matter because we knew they could easily come back.

I think Gillis has been really over rated as a GM and is watching while the team slips. How about if we still had Grabner and Hodgson ? Or he had pulled the trigger on that supposed deal with Toronto at the start of the season. The Canucks are now 16th in goals for. 16th !

And do we have a single player in Chicago who could really help ? ( Jensen maybe ). The cupboard is bare.

We have been too patient with Gillis. He's doing a crappy job. This team is going nowhere.

Are you seriously complaining about Grabner?
The guy isn't nearly as good as some people on here make him out to be. He is good at breakaways, and that's just about it.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
They're the lone bright spot right now. The defense, goaltending, and bottom 6 forwards all range from mediocre to unmitigated disaster.

Starts and ends with the coaching. The one part of the team that AV has expressed he doesn't touch is the one part going well and the other part he also can't touch (goaltending) was also going well until the wheels fell off.

PP sucks, PK sucks, 3 other lines suck, defense sucks, breakouts are mediocre, etc. Some of those are clearly NOT personnel problems, such as PP and PK.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
we're going nowhere until burrows is off the first line and we get some protection for daniel and henrik .... kassian ... anyone ... sedins are gonna get run again in the playoffs ... we're soft soft soft the whole thing is on AV

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm not overly worried. The team is playing better than its record over the last 3-4 games, the only area to be concerned with is the PP - and with not time to practice, this is something they are going to have to play their way through.

Another positive is that now that Alberts and Barker have got into a couple of games, we know that we have 8 NHL ready defensemen.

Karter

Feb 16, 2012
Sherbrooke
I'm not too worried. We're half way in the season and honestly, our record right now is actually better than I thought it would be. If we can coast into the playoffs I'll be happy. Overworking ourselves in the regular season has not worked out well in previous years.

At least this gets rid of the bandwagoners. We get a nice break until playoff time when they all come flying back in like they were here all along.

Crows*

I still feel this team desperately needs one more elite scoring threat. Kes ain't a 41 goal scorer. The pens did it right by acquiring James Neal. This team needs to do something similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->