Only 3 wins in last 11 games - Are you worried?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by NucksRuleYep, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Hammer79

Hammer79 Registered User

Chicago has the PT pretty much locked up, they would have to play .500 hockey and the Canucks would have to go on a hot streak for the Canucks to have any chance of catching them. However, the Canucks have won the last two PT's, so if they go on a deep playoff run, it shouldn't come as a surprise to many other than the haters.

The bright side of finishing 2nd or 3rd would be that the Canucks wouldn't have to play Chicago until the conference finals. Who knows how many injuries they accumulate before then? They might even get upset. Crawford has yet to play well when it counts, and cost Chicago the series vs Phoenix last playoffs.

I don't fear LA, Quick has fallen back down to Earth. I don't take Anaheim too seriously either, Fasth is already cooling off from his hot streak. I think Vancouver could take anyone else in the hunt, once they get their problems sorted out.

2. VanCanucks53

VanCanucks53 Registered User

I will agree with that. I'll take whatever is happening this year than winning the President's trophy last year. They were very complacent last season and won games they shouldn't have. Watching them you knew there was a problem but no one did anything about it because they were still winning games. At least this year none of it is getting masked and they are actually losing games and facing adversity instead of somehow pulling out wins miraculously and everyone pretending that everything is fine.

3. quat

quat winsome, loathsome

artist
    Home Page:
    Exactly. Frankly, I was stoked they won a second president's trophy cause they sure didn't look much like a threat to win the cup. I'm still pretty shocked they won the PT back to back.

Sure they're having a similar struggle to score goals this season, but it's for very different reasons. This team has a lot of very solid players, all in their prime, all very hungry for a cup, with many having come extremely close and then having such a terrible time last season.

It's a very good situation for the Canucks at the moment. Clearly not so much for the nervous, cup starved fans.

4. Reverend Mayhem

Reverend Mayhem Fire this man

Bikini Inspektor
    Also while Chicago is out of reach I think 2nd place is very much attainable. Anaheim as good as they are and shouldn't be taken lightly have gotten unreal goaltending. With that they are just 6 pts ahead of us one game in hand. They lose that one, we are 6 pts back, they win 8. That's 3 or 4 more wins we need than Anaheim in the remainder of the season, which I think is very doable. However, we need to get out of this slide before we even discuss 2nd place let alone 3rd.

5. LolClarkson*

LolClarkson* Guest

I am aware of that. It happened with the WCE core and it happened with first Loungo core once. (thought we were making the playoffs)

6. LolClarkson*

LolClarkson* Guest

Yeah. I watched the LA Kings too...:nod:

7. LolClarkson*

LolClarkson* Guest

They are looking for shooting lanes. The PP looked great. It reminds me of the PP that Detroit had 8 years ago.

8. stickside

stickside Registered User

not worried, just resigned to the fact the canucks can't hang with chicago. blackhawks have way too much depth.

nucks only path to success in playoffs is an upset in round 1

9. ItsAllPartOfThePlan

ItsAllPartOfThePlan Registered User

Bingo. last nights game was a huge step in the right direction. If we keep playing they way we did, I think we can knock off any team.

10. GarryValkyrie

GarryValkyrie Registered User

Either we are in the playoffs or have a shot at seth jones, im good with either.

11. Reign Nateo

Reign Nateo Registered User

Home Page:
    Personally I haven't been overly confident in this team in quite some time. They have some major issues and I'm not sure they have the sand to win a cup. But am I worried about this recent stretch? No. They've played pretty well and in the end all that matters is getting into the playoffs and getting on a hot streak. If they can do that, and get healthy, maybe we see some fireworks in June. If not, another year to add to the list of Canuck fan dissapointment. But at this stage, I'm not any more worried than I have been since the Boston series.

12. Nuckles

Nuckles _________

All that I see is a team that will be knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st or 2nd round.

13. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Home Page:
    Been worried since the off season and I've made that very clear. This team isn't as good as people want to believe. No, it's not the same team that went to the Cup finals. The loss of what Raffi Torres brought in terms of physicality has never been replaced. The loss of what Ehrhoff brought in terms of mobility and a transition game has never been replaced. The Sedins are older and now need those extra offensive zone starts just to hang around a point per game. Kesler is a walking injury. And we no longer have any prospects in the cupboard who can step up now that Schroeder is a full time member of the lineup (being misused I might add). Until Gillis stops ignoring our need for another high end talent up front we will continue to slowly regress to mediocrity.

14. SnapIt

SnapIt Registered User

I'm not confident with the team and style of play lately. If I were to sum it up:

- We need a right handed defenseman (via trade)
    - We need a solid 3C or top 6 scoring winger (trade again)
    - A change in the special teams coaching staff (defence + PP is looking awfully poor)

15. Tiranis

Tiranis Registered User

Sedins are playing some of their best hockey since their Art Ross seasons, after that lull last year. They might not be scoring quite as much, but they're also giving up hardly any chances and their possession time is other-worldly, even accounting for their zone starts. Their offensive zone starts are down from last year and they're facing up against other 1st lines on a regular basis, as the primary "shutdown" unit at this time (whereas in the past they've received relatively easy minutes).

I would say they are MORE dominant right now than they were in 10-11 and Henrik is +13 in 22 games for a reason.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  16. Proto

Proto Registered User

I think when you worry about a team, you need to start looking at some underlying numbers. One of the easiest ones to look at is just goal differential, and when you look at the Canucks, you see a strong goal differential of.... +2... which makes you feel more confide --

/runs away screaming

17. Proto

Proto Registered User

They're the lone bright spot right now. The defense, goaltending, and bottom 6 forwards all range from mediocre to unmitigated disaster.

18. galiano

galiano Registered User

none
    Home Page:
    I see the Canucks as a team slowly sliding into mediocrity. A couple of years ago when a game went into overtime it was almost a gimme for Vancouver. Or if they got down a couple of goals in regulation it didn't matter because we knew they could easily come back.

I think Gillis has been really over rated as a GM and is watching while the team slips. How about if we still had Grabner and Hodgson ? Or he had pulled the trigger on that supposed deal with Toronto at the start of the season. The Canucks are now 16th in goals for. 16th !

And do we have a single player in Chicago who could really help ? ( Jensen maybe ). The cupboard is bare.

We have been too patient with Gillis. He's doing a crappy job. This team is going nowhere.

19. Nuckles

Nuckles _________

Are you seriously complaining about Grabner?
    The guy isn't nearly as good as some people on here make him out to be. He is good at breakaways, and that's just about it.

20. Tiranis

Tiranis Registered User

Starts and ends with the coaching. The one part of the team that AV has expressed he doesn't touch is the one part going well and the other part he also can't touch (goaltending) was also going well until the wheels fell off.

PP sucks, PK sucks, 3 other lines suck, defense sucks, breakouts are mediocre, etc. Some of those are clearly NOT personnel problems, such as PP and PK.

21. Real Gudbranson

Real Gudbranson Playoff Bound

Student
    Grabner wasn't that good..

22. mr gib

mr gib Registered User

rock and roller
    Home Page:
    we're going nowhere until burrows is off the first line and we get some protection for daniel and henrik .... kassian ... anyone ... sedins are gonna get run again in the playoffs ... we're soft soft soft the whole thing is on AV

23. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Registered User

Consultant - healthcare
    I'm not overly worried. The team is playing better than its record over the last 3-4 games, the only area to be concerned with is the PP - and with not time to practice, this is something they are going to have to play their way through.

Another positive is that now that Alberts and Barker have got into a couple of games, we know that we have 8 NHL ready defensemen.

24. Karter

Karter Registered User

I'm not too worried. We're half way in the season and honestly, our record right now is actually better than I thought it would be. If we can coast into the playoffs I'll be happy. Overworking ourselves in the regular season has not worked out well in previous years.

At least this gets rid of the bandwagoners. We get a nice break until playoff time when they all come flying back in like they were here all along.

25. Crows*

Crows* Guest

I still feel this team desperately needs one more elite scoring threat. Kes ain't a 41 goal scorer. The pens did it right by acquiring James Neal. This team needs to do something similar.