Only 3 wins in last 11 games - Are you worried?

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
The canucks are 3-4-4 in their last 11 games. Is anyone else here slightly worried? The media is starting to talk about the Canucks divison lead and whether or not they can hold it. I don't like it!

Last edited:

Eastside

Mar 8, 2012
Vancouver Island
Not really. I don't think we've been playing as poorly as our record. If it goes another 10 games like this, then I might start to worry.

LolClarkson*

No. I don't want to win the PT.

Its only a matter of finding a strategy for the playoffs. Unless we get a skilled top 6 player, AV should get out is rope a dope books.

We should go into the playoffs trapping.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Not worried about not making the playoffs. Worried about making into round 2 of said playoffs. This team for whatever reason doesn't look good enough to make it there, but we certainly are able to. We need some serious help up front and more importantly our goaltending and defense need to sort it out. Garrison has been successfully integrated into the line-up but guys like Bieksa and Edler struggling hurts a whole heck of a lot. The biggest problem is we have 4 left-side defenseman and 2 right-side defenseman, leaving 1 of the left-side guys in a very uncomfortable spot. And the loss of Aaron Rome has really hurt our depth. He was a perfect 6/7 guy and I felt extremely comfortable with him in the line-up. Not so much with Barker and Alberts. We need to go after a depth-defenseman at the deadline, and flip Ballard for a right-side guy. It's clearly not working for him in Vancouver and we need a balance in our defenseman. No more 4 left-side guys, it's really hurting us.

IF we can get a balance in defensive depth, another depth defenseman that replaces Rome, and a top 6 forward then I feel strongly we could make it out of the West. If not, we might as well be waving the white flag on the season.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
throw in the towel for this season. this team simply isn't good enough. coach is getting stale. players either probably playing for themselves or don't really give a ****. goaltending is okay. but gillis needs to shop 1 or the other this summer anyways.

FloydTheBarber

Aug 10, 2006
No. I don't want to win the PT.

Its only a matter of finding a strategy for the playoffs. Unless we get a skilled top 6 player, AV should get out is rope a dope books.

We should go into the playoffs trapping.

Neither do I, but I still want them to make the playoffs, they are only 3 points out of the top 8.

It's one thing to be confident, but I feel many Canucks feel like they are entitled a playoff spot. It's not guarantee.

If Minnesota wins some of their head to head match ups, we can start scoreboard watching for the rest of the year.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm not worried as I think the team can still lock up the NW. Beyond that, who knows? A 5-5-4 record vs. teams outside the NW. We don't know what this team is yet.

Al Swearengen

Smug Nation National
Mar 29, 2010
Teams we probably can't hang with in a playoff round: Chicago, LA.
Teams we're 50/50 with in a playoff round: StL, San Jose.
Teams we should beat: Everyone else in the West, including Anaheim, who I don't believe in.

In 2011 and 2012, I felt like we could take anyone. Its a bit of a drag, but Kesler is the straw that stirs the drink in Vancouver, and our overall depth takes a huge hit without him.

Edit: I also think we're pretty much a mortal lock for the 2 seed, because Anaheim is weird. They just aren't that good, and the NW still sucks outside of BC.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Neither do I, but I still want them to make the playoffs, they are only 3 points out of the top 8.

It's one thing to be confident, but I feel many Canucks feel like they are entitled a playoff spot. It's not guarantee.

If Minnesota wins some of their head to head match ups, we can start scoreboard watching for the rest of the year.

If they keep playing this way, they won't be in a playoff spot for long, especially with their record outside of the division. Nobody should feel entitled to a playoff spot, let alone the 1st place in our division. 3 loser points separate us from the Wild.

That said, I'm not worried. Whatever happens, happens. Team is good to challenge for a Cup, now it's up to their execution and AV's coaching.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Gillis better do something, we can't be counting on Booth, Kassian, Schroeder for secondary scoring in the playoffs and guys like Hansen and Raymond will be checked a lot tighter. I don't like the way our defence is built either.

And I also don't think we're going to cycle our way to 4 playoff round wins. The way the Sedins were playing tonight was great, it looks really good but it's all on the outside it's all fancy and relying on the other team making a mistake in coverage. I have never seen a team win a cup playing that style of hockey. You need traffic in front of the net and lots of shots not fooling around on the walls.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Here's another perspective. We know at this point that Chicago/Anaheim are likely to finish #1/#2 on the West.

What that means is they CANNOT face each other until the Western Conference Finals if they both made if there. In other words, Chicago and Anaheim can't eliminate each other until round 3.

So logically, if the Canucks want to win the Stanley cup this year, then after we make it through Round 1 our route to the cup might look something like:

Anaheim (Round 2)
Chicago (Round 3)
Boston or Pittsburgh (Round 4)

Unless someone else knocks out Anaheim or Chicago, but then we'd need to face that team. The point is, for us to win the cup this year we would need to get through a lot of good teams. I just don't see us beating Anaheim in a playoff series, let alone Chicago or Boston or Pittsburgh. This team isn't as united this year.

People don't seem to understand HOW MUCH effort it takes to win a President's Trophy. People can talk about how the real hockey starts in the playoffs but that is BS. The canucks win back to back pres trophies - for that to happen it takes a seriously united team. But last year after winning the pres trophy and losing easily to LA in the 1st round, something changed... I think the nucks lost faith in AV's system. Because AV has been telling them all along how hard work in the regular season pays off in the playoffs. But it turns out the exhausted Canucks were destroyed by the healthy and energized Kings.

Bottom line, AV is gone 100% for sure if the canucks don't make it past round 1. And if they get eliminated in Round 2, he is probably gone. Round 3 or 4 and he stays.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Not really.
They got a point tonight.
Shootouts are crapshoots anyways.

The powerplay, even though it didn't convert, finally look presentable, and they did dominate in the 2nd and 3rd.
I would prefer a few more wins, but if they continue to play like this, the wins will come.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Canucks seem to be playing with more passion and urgency this year. At least that's what it feels like to me.

Eh...I don't know. Passion perhaps, urgency no.

Basically after the Boston game the team looked dead tired every game but there was still a noticeable urgency level save for the second period.

Call it whatever you want, this team ain't getting it done lately. They found ways to win last year through tight-checking and goaltending. This year they are finding ways to lose.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Canucks seem to be playing with more passion and urgency this year. At least that's what it feels like to me.

I don't see it. Look no further than our PP, absolutely no urgency at the most of times. Tonight's PP was actually good, but usually there's no urgency to score. Spend too much time fiddling around with the puck in their own end, trying to enter the zone, too many passes etc.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
I don't see it. Look no further than our PP, absolutely no urgency at the most of times. Tonight's PP was actually good, but usually there's no urgency to score. Spend too much time fiddling around with the puck in their own end, trying to enter the zone, too many passes etc.
point shots taking 10 seconds to get off.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
for anyone not worried, did you even watch last season?

Yeah, but they really lost it after that Boston game.
That game seemed to take all passion out of the team, and for the rest of the season, it seemed like they finished unfinished business, and there are nothing more to play for.

This year, there are not any games like that.
Even when they played Chicago, they took a businessman-like approach to it.
Plus, the players seems to be hitting their stride, after the timing issue in the beginning of the season.
The Sedins looks faster, and their passing are sharper with each game.
Raymond looks faster, healthier and more confident, and he is finding chemistry with his teammates.
Hansen seemed to take his game to another level, and now he has the offense to go with his haunting defense.
Higgins is starting to score after the initial slow start.
Even Booth is skating harder, causing problems with his speed and drawing penalties, and having more chemistry with his teammates with each game.
I am not too worry right now.
It will just be a matter of time before everything clicks.
If it doesn't, then I will worry.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Not about making the playoffs but going further than that yes. Good effort today but still just don't look as dominant anymore. They don't look like a team that is a real contender that can beat a team like Chicago or Boston. I still say something has to change. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll play themselves out of it. I just find that a bit hard to believe because it's been like this for the past year and not just the past 10 games.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Not about making the playoffs but going further than that yes. Good effort today but still just don't look as dominant anymore. They don't look like a team that is a real contender that can beat a team like Chicago or Boston. I still say something has to change. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll play themselves out of it. I just find that a bit hard to believe because it's been like this for the past year and not just the past 10 games.

underdog for the win

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Here's another perspective. We know at this point that Chicago/Anaheim are likely to finish #1/#2 on the West.

What that means is they CANNOT face each other until the Western Conference Finals if they both made if there. In other words, Chicago and Anaheim can't eliminate each other until round 3.

So logically, if the Canucks want to win the Stanley cup this year, then after we make it through Round 1 our route to the cup might look something like:

Anaheim (Round 2)
Chicago (Round 3)
Boston or Pittsburgh (Round 4)

Unless someone else knocks out Anaheim or Chicago, but then we'd need to face that team. The point is, for us to win the cup this year we would need to get through a lot of good teams. I just don't see us beating Anaheim in a playoff series, let alone Chicago or Boston or Pittsburgh. This team isn't as united this year.

People don't seem to understand HOW MUCH effort it takes to win a President's Trophy. People can talk about how the real hockey starts in the playoffs but that is BS. The canucks win back to back pres trophies - for that to happen it takes a seriously united team. But last year after winning the pres trophy and losing easily to LA in the 1st round, something changed... I think the nucks lost faith in AV's system. Because AV has been telling them all along how hard work in the regular season pays off in the playoffs. But it turns out the exhausted Canucks were destroyed by the healthy and energized Kings.

Bottom line, AV is gone 100% for sure if the canucks don't make it past round 1. And if they get eliminated in Round 2, he is probably gone. Round 3 or 4 and he stays.

We all know how we do against good teams in the playoffs. We tend to lose to the cup winner.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Not worried. This is a cup winning caliber team struggling to find it's groove. While many individual players are struggling (Edler at the moment), we're seeing so many positives that haven't been there in the past.

The team isn't living off the goaltending and power play. The Sedins are play some of the best hockey I've ever seen from them, along with Raymond, Hansen, Higgins and Tanev. There is clearly the right mix of size and skill on the team, but the puck isn't going in as it should be. Sure it's frustrating, but the fact is the team is severely under performing on the scoreboard while still giving it a ton of effort.

The defense and the forwards are starting to find and support each other a bit more, and we're seeing guys like Hamhuis and Garrison become much more reliable. It's just a matter of time and being patient.

I've posted earlier that this is finally a season where how they place isn't as important as figuring out how to play again as a team. We've seen it time and again with cup winners, where during the regular season they don't always look very dangerous. This is the Canucks.

Clearly Lapierre is not showing well on the third line, but we're seeing Vigneault's insistence on having a big bodied player man that position. With how well Kassian and Booth are playing, it's simply a matter of time before Schroeder get's a decent look with them. We all know he plays better with more skilled linemates, and then that leaves a very credible fourth line with size, speed and hitting.

There is more than enough time to find out how well Schroeder can play before Kesler returns. Av may be frustrating at times, but he tends to eventually get things right.

This constant freaking out about a crappy goal now and again, or inconsistent games, wins, etc really needs to stop. This season is about figuring out who fits where and what style of play is going to work best in different situations. Clearly they are mixing things up game to game, and while it's a bit frustrating, there is likely more method than madness to it.

The power play looks amazing, and it's freakish that they didn't score several on it tonight. There were a ton of shots generated and they moved the puck extremely effectively and had little trouble gaining the zone. I like both PP units now that Garrison is getting comfortable.

I think posters here need to settle down a bit and look at the bigger picture. I hate losing more than the next fan, but we've got to look at the larger picture here. This is an amazing group of players, most of whom are right in their prime. They're not going to struggle in the playoffs, and it's good that they're facing some adversity and they're far from looking complacent.

My feeling is this isn't the season to get to worked up over the team struggling to find it's legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->