Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
IMG_20200928_082625.jpg

Bruins Bhoy

Feb 7, 2010
Loughborough, England
Doyles, is that the bar a few minutes walk from the Samuel Adams brewery? If so, I hope all goes well. We wandered down to there when we were over in Boston, and the owner/gentleman behind the bar let my wife go around the bar to the heater as she was freezing cold in the balmy December weather you have there :) Really nice gesture.

In a bit of good news, it looks like Doyle's may be coming back in Jamaica Plain. If so this would be phenomenal. There's a meeting on Thursday to unveil the new proposal.

full

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Doyles, is that the bar a few minutes walk from the Samuel Adams brewery? If so, I hope all goes well. We wandered down to there when we were over in Boston, and the owner/gentleman behind the bar let my wife go around the bar to the heater as she was freezing cold in the balmy December weather you have there :) Really nice gesture.
Yes it is. You used to get a ticket for a free pint at Doyles after the tour.

Not a fancy place by any means but the food was good, the beer was good and most of all, the people were exceptional.

@Fenway can confirm that many agreements were reached by local politicians over a pint of beer and traditional New England comfort food.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I consider myself blessed- my family is in good health as am I. My sister's life is taking a definite turn for the better after several years of struggle & unhappiness, she has a new job that she loves and is finally ending her marriage after several years of bitter estrangement. Nephew will graduate from college next spring, he already got a great full time job in his junior year & will probably stay with them a few years anyway. Niece started her freshman year of college, she's on a full track & field scholarship. Mom at 85 absolutely rocked the lock down and is looking forward to moving into an apartment in our building- the house is simply too big for her to rattle around in all by herself. As for me, work is going fairly well (still digging out of financial difficulties but have a much better handle on things) and I'm getting back to one of my favorite hobbies, target shooting.

Life is good.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So I'm gearing up to hike Mount Washington on Saturday and I already want to vomit. Who has hiked the Tucks trail in the fall and can tell me that I'll be ok? 35 and in decent health. Zero conditioning. A weak back and prone to headaches. Minor dehydration ruins me quickly

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As much of a cliche as it is to say, this year has been a real rollercoaster for me personally. It started off in the best possible way with the birth of my daughter at the start of January and every minute I've spent with her since has just been an absolute privilege. Then Covid hit and while there was so much uncertainty and the anxiety that goes with that, I was incredibly fortunate in that I kept my job and have been working throughout. My mother's health has deteriorated significantly over the last few months however and particularly in the past few weeks and it's looking increasingly likely that the cancer will finally win the battle this side of Christmas. On top of that it's also looking like Cork city (where I live) is going to be put on a local lockdown within the next week, so that's going to make seeing my mother difficult.

This year is one that won't soon be forgotten but there is a lot of positive I am going to take from it. Along with the birth of my daughter Covid has totally changed my perspective on life. I appreciate everything a lot more, in particular the small things and I hope that will stick with me long after life goes back to normal.

Also while everyone spent lockdown learning how to bake bread, @Bruinaura will be delighted to hear I spent it trying to bake the perfect cookies. I'm not there yet but I'm getting close. I plan to make it a Sunday night tradition when my daughter gets older, dad's cookies and an ice cold glass of milk. :)

The cookies tradition sounds great!

Sorry to hear about your mum. All that can really be said is I hope you and the rest of your family can make the most of whatever time you have left with her, especially with the Covid situation. Cherish those moments, and I really really hope she can make it to just one Christmas with her granddaughter.

We were supposed to be going to Cork next year, but the pandemic's put paid to that. Hopefully we'll get there one day though - been to Ireland before but not the south-west, so would be great to explore that area.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
The cookies tradition sounds great!

Sorry to hear about your mum. All that can really be said is I hope you and the rest of your family can make the most of whatever time you have left with her, especially with the Covid situation. Cherish those moments, and I really really hope she can make it to just one Christmas with her granddaughter.

We were supposed to be going to Cork next year, but the pandemic's put paid to that. Hopefully we'll get there one day though - been to Ireland before but not the south-west, so would be great to explore that area.

Thanks Aussie, if you ever make it to Cork I'll buy you a pint, provided there are any pubs left.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
So I'm gearing up to hike Mount Washington on Saturday and I already want to vomit. Who has hiked the Tucks trail in the fall and can tell me that I'll be ok? 35 and in decent health. Zero conditioning. A weak back and prone to headaches. Minor dehydration ruins me quickly
you should be ok. its actually not that bad. its probably really cold at the summit. going down is the worst part. It just kills my knees. Have you done monadnock yet?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I consider myself blessed- my family is in good health as am I. My sister's life is taking a definite turn for the better after several years of struggle & unhappiness, she has a new job that she loves and is finally ending her marriage after several years of bitter estrangement. Nephew will graduate from college next spring, he already got a great full time job in his junior year & will probably stay with them a few years anyway. Niece started her freshman year of college, she's on a full track & field scholarship. Mom at 85 absolutely rocked the lock down and is looking forward to moving into an apartment in our building- the house is simply too big for her to rattle around in all by herself. As for me, work is going fairly well (still digging out of financial difficulties but have a much better handle on things) and I'm getting back to one of my favorite hobbies, target shooting.

Life is good.
Allow me to give you some targets

:habs:habs:habs:habs:habs:habs:habs:habs

:D

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
:DD

Actually shooting is one of the most fun things you can do. Focus on gun safety & hitting your target and your cares just melt away!:thumbu:
You know who else likes to shoot guns....

"You know who" ;)

I did some skeet shooting a few years ago, first time I ever used a gun. Hit it on the first try.

Pure luck :laugh: but my nickname for the rest of the day was Annie Oakley

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You know who else likes to shoot guns....

"You know who" ;)

I did some skeet shooting a few years ago, first time I ever used a gun. Hit it on the first try.

Pure luck :laugh: but my nickname for the rest of the day was Annie Oakley

You just had to tell me that about You Know Who, didn't you? :p:

Skeet, trap & sporting clays are fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->