200.gif

There is something going on today we can not discuss on HF itself

Click on sign

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Not really any definite positive signs for 2021 yet either. We're playing the long game here. My wife and I have basically shelved all plans and hopes for anything close to a fully normal life and any further overseas travel until 2022. If things seriously improve sooner then fantastic, but we're not counting on it. Until then we make the most of what we can do and count our many blessings - we have secure work, a house, health, financial stability and live in a safe, beautiful part of the world and that makes us more fortunate than most. Doesn't mean we don't still dream of this all being over though!

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Got into a university, my long-time girlfriend survived blood poisoning, 1 year without alcohol & smoking... This far 2020 worked out pretty nicely for me.

COVIDs second wave is coming to Finland now which worries me a bit.

Also we have this app called "Koronavilkku", which sends Bluetooth signals around your phone and tells you if you've been exposed to COVID. People who had the virus need to inform the app that they had COVID. Should help track the cases as long as people dont troll the system.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Got into a university, my long-time girlfriend survived blood poisoning, 1 year without alcohol & smoking... This far 2020 worked out pretty nicely for me.

Also we have this app called "Korona vilkku", which sends Bluetooth signals around your phone and tells you if you've been exposed to COVID. People who had the virus need to inform the app that they had COVID. Should help track the cases as long as people dont troll the system.

Congratz!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
f*** 2020.

I have no idea whether I'm coming or going the rest of this year. Have Mom's belongings and house to deal with. Cant deal with the house until I find a place for my sister (also fighting cancer) . She lived with Mom.
Going to look at some nice over 55 condos this week just over the line in NH.
Continue work from home ? Get ordered back at some point? Retire? Don't know right now.
Then where to live? By summer 2021 I want to be in my new/last home. With all of the above and Covid it makes it real hard to look at real estate.
Oh and then I still owe Mom & Dad funeral services 'at sea' come Spring assuming I can get a charter that will be Covid compliant if need be.

Yeah, 2020...just a f***ing bowl of cherries.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
@Mr Irish - How are things looking on your end?

As much of a cliche as it is to say, this year has been a real rollercoaster for me personally. It started off in the best possible way with the birth of my daughter at the start of January and every minute I've spent with her since has just been an absolute privilege. Then Covid hit and while there was so much uncertainty and the anxiety that goes with that, I was incredibly fortunate in that I kept my job and have been working throughout. My mother's health has deteriorated significantly over the last few months however and particularly in the past few weeks and it's looking increasingly likely that the cancer will finally win the battle this side of Christmas. On top of that it's also looking like Cork city (where I live) is going to be put on a local lockdown within the next week, so that's going to make seeing my mother difficult.

This year is one that won't soon be forgotten but there is a lot of positive I am going to take from it. Along with the birth of my daughter Covid has totally changed my perspective on life. I appreciate everything a lot more, in particular the small things and I hope that will stick with me long after life goes back to normal.

Also while everyone spent lockdown learning how to bake bread, @Bruinaura will be delighted to hear I spent it trying to bake the perfect cookies. I'm not there yet but I'm getting close. I plan to make it a Sunday night tradition when my daughter gets older, dad's cookies and an ice cold glass of milk. :)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
As much of a cliche as it is to say, this year has been a real rollercoaster for me personally. It started off in the best possible way with the birth of my daughter at the start of January and every minute I've spent with her since has just been an absolute privilege. Then Covid hit and while there was so much uncertainty and the anxiety that goes with that, I was incredibly fortunate in that I kept my job and have been working throughout. My mother's health has deteriorated significantly over the last few months however and particularly in the past few weeks and it's looking increasingly likely that the cancer will finally win the battle this side of Christmas. On top of that it's also looking like Cork city (where I live) is going to be put on a local lockdown within the next week, so that's going to make seeing my mother difficult.

This year is one that won't soon be forgotten but there is a lot of positive I am going to take from it. Along with the birth of my daughter Covid has totally changed my perspective on life. I appreciate everything a lot more, in particular the small things and I hope that will stick with me long after life goes back to normal.

Also while everyone spent lockdown learning how to bake bread, @Bruinaura will be delighted to hear I spent it trying to bake the perfect cookies. I'm not there yet but I'm getting close. I plan to make it a Sunday night tradition when my daughter gets older, dad's cookies and an ice cold glass of milk. :)

My heart goes out to you Mr I.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

eCjPMlclBWmKA.gif

Edit: the applause is in regard to the cookies, of course. Sorry to hear about your mom. :(

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Also we have this app called "Koronavilkku", which sends Bluetooth signals around your phone and tells you if you've been exposed to COVID. People who had the virus need to inform the app that they had COVID. Should help track the cases as long as people dont troll the system.
not sure if you kicked alcohol because you had to or simply wanted to, either way, congrats on a year without it and the cigs too. My buddy said to me that if I am able to stay sober, one day at a time for a little less than two years from now, it would mean I have been sober longer than the number of years I drank.

I too kicked cigs but admittedly I have continued to chew tobacco which is not great

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Thanks Wally, I know you went through it recently and there is nothing anyone can really say. All I will say is **** cancer.

One of the worst things about it is that you can do nothing about it, I went through this with my dad a few years ago.

An old friend of mine is about to lose her father, stage 4 esophogeal cancer that has now spread to his liver.

You are right, f*** cancer.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I've never had that much of a problem with alcohol. Quitting cigarettes was way harder. Mine, and my girlfriends family have had some problems with alcohol and I want to be the best I can be to her.

great reasons, even with Chew, quitting cigs, or more specifically, not getting trapped by all the triggers was the hardest part. My wife still smokes but still haven`t had a puff in over a decade

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Well I certainly , have had it better than some of the posts I read here. My family has managed to stay safe throughout this ordeal. I don't really have anything to complain about other than being completely fed up of this Covid shit.

Heart goes out to Gee Wally and Mr. Irish it must be hell to deal with such things during the pandemic.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Craziest year of my life. Had our baby on September 1st, moved to small town NH literally that same day, have no job but that’s fine, just changing diapers and hanging with family. I’m enjoying it quite a lot.

Yeah, congrats- it's fun . . . for about two minutes :laugh::laugh:

Seriously, moved to a great town in Swanzey in a great part of the state, new kid. 2020 sucks, but not all is bad, right?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
There is so much I would like to say here but I won't.

For Wally and all who have really had it tough my heart goes out to you. I have had years like that and it is so difficult to keep on keeping on....but you have to.

I am old and achy but healthy for my age. I just so miss my family especially my daughter (in Calif). Some days I feel like I will never see her again. I know this is silly but this is the longest n her 40 years that I haven't seen her.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Thanks peeps. It has been super fun. Here are a few pics in case you’re interested.

Attachments

• B31219B5-5C8E-4400-84D2-E2DB47522EE7.jpeg
    B31219B5-5C8E-4400-84D2-E2DB47522EE7.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DCCBCFA7-F12B-4940-8AB8-290AACBC86B3.jpeg
    DCCBCFA7-F12B-4940-8AB8-290AACBC86B3.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 6C56A4AA-B7CB-4A26-B934-80248B13DC2B.jpeg
    6C56A4AA-B7CB-4A26-B934-80248B13DC2B.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 4
  • C5F88925-1062-4686-A676-031E7ABC0E88.jpeg
    C5F88925-1062-4686-A676-031E7ABC0E88.jpeg