Only 2 Playoff Spots Still Up For Grabs?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Columbus will trade the assets at the deadline then go on a 10 game winning streak to capture the last play off spot.

And will sweep tampa in the first round... not out of the question even with the results of last year's series. Just a few things happen different in that one could have resulted in same thing last year. We just don't match up with them well at all and for whatever reason play us way better than they play everyone else. Just shows you how match ups matter in the playoffs. It may seem like on paper a team should handle them no problem but match ups and styles of play can change things. Why there are no slam dunks in the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
2-3 VS Caps
2-4-2 VS Pitts
5-0 VS Bruins

So 9-9 VS the other 3 current playoff teams.

That kind of record is to be expected though. All 4 teams occupying the playoff spots in the East are about the same strength wise.

Caps are:
2-2-0 against the Bruins
3-2-0 against the Islanders
2-1-3 against the Penguins

So their record against the other top teams of the division is 8-5-3. The Isles are at 9-7-2 which is literally equivalent to the Caps.

The playoff seeding in the East is literally determined by a team’s ability to destroy the Sabres/Devils/Flyers.

Rangers are a tough team but they woke up too late IMO.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That kind of record is to be expected though. All 4 teams occupying the playoff spots in the East are about the same strength wise.

Caps are:
2-2-0 against the Bruins
3-2-0 against the Islanders
2-1-3 against the Penguins

So their record against the other top teams of the division is 8-5-3. The Isles are at 9-7-2 which is literally equivalent to the Caps.

The playoff seeding in the East is literally determined by a team’s ability to destroy the Sabres/Devils/Flyers.

Rangers are a tough team but they woke up too late IMO.

Not contradicting or anything, but it's kind of funny how the OTL/SOL extra point can change the perspective of a team's record versus another team.

From the Caps' perspective, they're 2-1-3 versus the Pens
From the Pens' perspective, they're 4-2 versus the Caps

Someone looking at that from the outside would be like, "Wtf? How is that possible that both have winning records against each other?!"

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not contradicting or anything, but it's kind of funny how the OTL/SOL extra point can change the perspective of a team's record versus another team.

Someone looking at that from the outside would be like, "Wtf? How is that possible that both have winning records against each other?!"

Shows the importance of winning in regulation this season! Pens would be ahead of the Caps if they had won those shootout/OT games in regulation.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Flyers and Rangers seeing the Coyotes in a playoff spot

mrw-i-notice-mid-shower-that-i-forgot-a-towel-thats-on-the-other-side-of-the-bathroom-111414.gif
i think id rather not get in the playoffs then have to be a yotes fan and watch a playoff series vs the avs.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes. A month of shinny hockey coming up.
Meaningful games have been hard to come by as it is. Now almost all of there rather meaningless.
Habs leafs on now. Nothing game.
Sens Oilers just finished. Nothing game.
Yawn.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

I really hope one day they can copy the nba and we only have a win loss column to check.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I only some positional changes in the North, East and West all look pretty sealed up
Central there's still an opportunity for Chicago, other than that one of those
teams is going to be skating around with a cup.

Chicago has a chance. They are only 2 points behind Nashville and both have played 40 games.

The bad news is that Nashville has been 8-2 versus Chicago 4-6 in their last 10 games. The Blackhawks have to reverse that. Dallas (7 points behind Nashville with 3 games in hand) probably has a better chance than Columbus. Detroit is nearly out of the race, being 11 points behind the Preds and having played 1 more game than Nashville.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I was looking at the standings earlier and was surprised. If anything I thought many spots would go down to the wire.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Shows the importance of winning in regulation this season! Pens would be ahead of the Caps if they had won those shootout/OT games in regulation.

Dude, I can't even begin to describe how much those games pissed me off. Seemed like every time the Pens won, they were giving up a point to them because it went to OT or SO. Meanwhile, Pens kept losing in regulation.

So whenever they'd win it was basically only 1 point they gained, while when they lost it was 2 points.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->