Only 2 Playoff Spots Still Up For Grabs?

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Are the playoff races going to be a little uneventful this season? It appears that the North and East are pretty much set;

North: Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal
East: Washington, Pittsburgh, Islanders, Boston

Anyone think any of those will change? (Order will obviously change)

The top 3 in the West are set: Colorado, Vegas, Minnesota

That leaves just a race for the 4th spot, where Arizona already has a 5 point lead (one extra game played). If they stay hot, that race could be all but settled well before the end of the season as well.

The top 3 in the Central are set too: Florida, Carolina, Tampa, leaving the only real race I see left weeks out from the end of the season.

Will the Chicago/Nashville/Dallas .... maybe Columbus, race for 4th in the Central be the only interesting thing to follow down the stretch?

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Right now it seems clear, but think you’d need to dig into schedules to be sure. There are likely some weird lopsided SOSs remaining due to the format we’re using this year.
I know the Bruins still have 6 games left against the Sabres. Should, god willing, be a pretty solid boost for them.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
One could have expected that because a team winning 3 in a row during regular time versus the current 4th place could have mean thing can shift fast that we would have had many exciting 3 game series to determine the playoffs spot at the end but it seem you are right, little parity this year.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Right now it seems clear, but think you’d need to dig into schedules to be sure. There are likely some weird lopsided SOSs remaining due to the format we’re using this year.

St Louis has a rough schedule remaining, with 14 of 18 games being against one of Colorado, Vegas, and Minnesota. Arizona's is "easier" with 8 games (4 each) against LA and San Jose. Not expecting the West to change much.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Flyers and Rangers seeing the Coyotes in a playoff spot

mrw-i-notice-mid-shower-that-i-forgot-a-towel-thats-on-the-other-side-of-the-bathroom-111414.gif

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I only some positional changes in the North, East and West all look pretty sealed up
Central there's still an opportunity for Chicago, other than that one of those
teams is going to be skating around with a cup.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
The Islanders haven't beaten any of the good teams in the East yet, they are by no means a lock. They feasted on Buffalo and Jersey thus far.
The islanders play a strong team game though and they’ve played the Capitals super well. I definitely am not counting them out haha

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Idk if the last spot in the East is locked just yet, Rangers are still alive.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Are the playoff races going to be a little uneventful this season? It appears that the North and East are pretty much set;

North: Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal
East: Washington, Pittsburgh, Islanders, Boston

Anyone think any of those will change? (Order will obviously change)

The top 3 in the West are set: Colorado, Vegas, Minnesota

That leaves just a race for the 4th spot, where Arizona already has a 5 point lead (one extra game played). If they stay hot, that race could be all but settled well before the end of the season as well.

The top 3 in the Central are set too: Florida, Carolina, Tampa, leaving the only real race I see left weeks out from the end of the season.

Will the Chicago/Nashville/Dallas .... maybe Columbus, race for 4th in the Central be the only interesting thing to follow down the stretch?

In the north, you have to wonder if one of the top 4 teams gets hit with covid with magnitude similar to Vancouver. What happens then?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Islanders haven't beaten any of the good teams in the East yet, they are by no means a lock. They feasted on Buffalo and Jersey thus far.
Washington isn't a good team? Isles beat them twice this past week, even without their #1 LW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad