Ongoing Stats and Analytical Discussion Thread: Battle of the Defense

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Maybe its just me but imo there's way to many pointless stats in sports. Corsi, anylitics I could do without in hockey. Even halls corsi was worse this year, but clearly was alot better... I'll trust the eye test and performance on the ice/field then most stats which mean nothing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe its just me but imo there's way to many pointless stats in sports. Corsi, anylitics I could do without in hockey. Even halls corsi was worse this year, but clearly was alot better... I'll trust the eye test and performance on the ice/field then most stats which mean nothing.
I generally think corsi seems to coincide with the eye test.

For instance. Andy Greene had a brutal corsi last year. And when we saw him, he spent almost every shift in the D-zone and sometimes it was a marathon shift.

Miles Wood spent a lot of time trapped in the D-zone in 16-17. Yet his scoring went up last year by quite a bit, his time spent in the D-zone decreased by a whole lot and his corsi numbers improved drastically.

There’s definitely exceptions like Jacob Josefson when he was with us.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the problem is you can't watch every player

so how do you know how 1 specific player stands up to another across the league?

Stats are not meant to be the be all and end all, but they are a great supplement to "just using my eyes"

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I think a combination of eye test and stats gives you a more accurate picture than one or the other. Of course how much of eye test vs stats you apply is almost entirely subjective. To me, Corsi, Fenwick, all that stuff are no more invalid a stat than goals or points. It's just not as easy to describe what they mean or to compare player to player.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Natural Stat Trick with a ton of updates today. This one caught my eye:

click the tweet to read the full thread. Lots of good stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad