Speculation: One year later, would you rather have had LA's pick last year or Julien Gauthier?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The 2015 13th overall by a country mile. Boston went off the board for their picks, but having guys like Kyle Connor, Matthew Barzal, Colin White, Brock Boeser, Travis Konecny, etc. on the board means we probably would have had a real shot at one of them. Those guys all have a considerable amount more upside than Gauthier in my opinion.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Gauthier. His draft stock at one point this season was top-10 and he's the exact sort of goal-scoring power wing we've needed since trading Ladd.

Sure the kids we could have had in 2015 are great (and arguably more talented)...but Gauthier is no slouch and there are (or should be) no questions about his compete level, commitment to remaining in shape, or willingness to put in the work to improve his game.

He's talent and drive...drive is often underrated and has been in short supply for the Canes in the past. A guy with drive, with Gauthier's talent, is a guy we don't have to worry about not putting in the work to win games and get points. I expect that he may never be a superstar but he's one of those guys (like Brindy was) that makes the guys around him better by working his butt off.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm gonna have to be patient talking about Gauthier. My early impressions are he looks more like a role player to me at this point.

I'd take the 2015 pick pretty easily.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can't believe this is even a question, and yet Gauthier is getting some love. I hope Gauthier kills it for us, but last year with zero hesitation. Much like some of the prospect rankings, I'm baffled by the choosing of Gauthier.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
By saying it's self explanatory, I assume you are asking if I'd rather have the 2015 #13 OA, the LAK's pick vs. the 2016 #21 OA, Gauthier? Not a single doubt in my mind that it would be last year's pick, #13 OA. First, Barzal, Conner, Boeser, White, etc.. were all still on the board at that time and I like all of those guys at least as much, but in reality more than Gauthier. Secondly, they'd be a year further in their development than Gauthier.

It's too bad this year's pick wasn't a couple spots higher as I still like Bellows over Gauthier, although I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this one.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Would I rather have the 13th pick in a loaded draft or the 21st in a less deep draft. Hmmmm, what a difficult choice.....

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I don't think 13 vs. 21 makes a lot of difference. I think you pick the guy you think might turn into what you want, and hope for the best.

Barzal/Kocnecy/White/Connor/Gauthier/Bellows/Kunin. My guess is that they all have very close to the same value until they do something in the NHL.

I'll stick with Gauthier, because the Canes could really use a big scoring winger. But Barzal/Connor would have been fine too. In the end, they're all long shots to be superstars, so might as well get what you need.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't think 13 vs. 21 makes a lot of difference. I think you pick the guy you think might turn into what you want, and hope for the best.

Barzal/Kocnecy/White/Connor/Gauthier/Bellows/Kunin. My guess is that they all have very close to the same value until they do something in the NHL.

I'll stick with Gauthier, because the Canes could really use a big scoring winger. But Barzal/Connor would have been fine too. In the end, they're all long shots to be superstars, so might as well get what you need.

I'm not so sure that White and Connor aren't approaching the point where they might be considered prospects with star potential. Especially Kyle Connor. In my opinion, he's right up there with Aho in regards to how much he improved his stock in his D+1 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->