One Way To Right The Ship

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
So assuming a big FA signing is needed, who's the target?

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

Best of the bunch is Semin, Iginla, Getzlaf and Perry...Semin isn't exactly a typical Wings kinda guy, Iginla is getting old and Perry and Getzlaf will be fiercely fought over if they aren't already re-signed by Anaheim. There seems to be no star d-men available so trade is the only route to go on that front.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ladi Smid in the Red and White, but I don't think he hits UFA.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
We don't need a full rebuild.
We cans till turn this ship around.
Right now, trade Quincey + Flip + Prospect for a legit right-handed defenseman who can play a two way game (with some toughness).

And then we need to get serious.

You want to know why Babcock was pissed off the SJ got Burns? Because good, mobile, two-way Righthanded D are rare. (one reason why Sproul and Marchenko are very valuable assets and why a guy like Wisniewksi was sought after)

But who's out there?

Is Capspace a right-handed shot? :)

Seriously though, if they wanted a RH D-Man, Wideman, Rozsival & Kurtis Foster were available right? I don't want to get into a game of "we don't want him because of x", but my point is that Holland had options. His problem is that he just wasn't that aggressive the last 2 years, refusing to match the big offers seen in the UFA market.

I think until Holland is willing to take some chances and spend some money, nothing of significance will get done.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lets not forget we need to resign Flip, Howard, Smith, and maybe Brunner after this season.

...and to be realistic Holland will sign Cleary for another 2 years at 2 mil per.

I don't believe that Cleary will get an extension. And I think Filppula will wal for big payday and Cleary is just let walk. Howard, Smith and White will get re-signed.

Those forwards (Filppula and Cleary) are replaced with Nyquist and Tatar, and those are our only moves at next summer. Järnkrok, Pulkkinen, Ouellet, Sproul and company will join the Griffs.

Moatorious

Dec 16, 2008
Why not, just for the hell of it, offer some crap to the isles for Visnovsky? It's well known he doesn't want to be there, and sure hes a lefty but hes better then most of our blueliners.

Plus hes a UFA after this season so we can still try for someone better in the offseason.

Moatorious

Dec 16, 2008
I don't believe that Cleary will get an extension. And I think Filppula will wal for big payday and Cleary is just let walk. Howard, Smith and White will get re-signed.

Those forwards (Filppula and Cleary) are replaced with Nyquist and Tatar, and those are our only moves at next summer. Järnkrok, Pulkkinen, Ouellet, Sproul and company will join the Griffs.

I thought I read somewhere that Järnkrok would go straight to the Wings next season.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Why not, just for the hell of it, offer some crap to the isles for Visnovsky? It's well known he doesn't want to be there, and sure hes a lefty but hes better then most of our blueliners.

Plus hes a UFA after this season so we can still try for someone better in the offseason.

Holland should definitely inquire there, I agree.

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
So assuming a big FA signing is needed, who's the target?

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

Best of the bunch is Semin, Iginla, Getzlaf and Perry...Semin isn't exactly a typical Wings kinda guy, Iginla is getting old and Perry and Getzlaf will be fiercely fought over if they aren't already re-signed by Anaheim. There seems to be no star d-men available so trade is the only route to go on that front.

If we wanted Semin we would have thrown him a contract to play with Datsyuk back when we could afford 3 of him.

mukluks

Oct 18, 2011

With Z getting older and Dats either traded (my plan) or going back to Russia (likely) our centre depth becomes a weakness without Flip. I don't think Nyquist replaces Flip's versatility. Hopefully Flip plays with Nyquist, meaning our top six is relatively strong for the foreseeable future.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Franzen and Quincey for Hudler and Bouwmeester.

Wings get back a highly skilled under-30 scoring forward who has excellent chemistry with Dats, Z, and Flip.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Imagine if Mrazek gets called up (for one reason or another) and starts to steal some games for us? Wouldn't that be awesome?!? :naughty:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Franzen and Quincey for Hudler and Bouwmeester.

Wings get back a highly skilled under-30 scoring forward who has excellent chemistry with Dats, Z, and Flip.

You've proposed this before.

Let's face it. Hudler isn't coming back.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
There is no way I want Hudler back either. I'm sick of stacking our roster with small non-physical that get tossed like rag dolls in the playoffs. I mean didn't we learn our lesson from last year or the year before.

Aug 6, 2012
There is no way I want Hudler back either. I'm sick of stacking our roster with small non-physical that get tossed like rag dolls in the playoffs. I mean didn't we learn our lesson from last year or the year before.

Eva's crush on Hudler gets on my nerves but, in his(?) defense, Jiri would be nice to have right now considering Nyquist isn't playing. If I knew Nyquist was going to be stuck in the AHL this year, I wouldn't have minded re-signing Jiri, because Cap Space isn't getting the job done like we all expected.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
We don't need a full rebuild.
We cans till turn this ship around.
Right now, trade Quincey + Flip + Prospect for a legit right-handed defenseman who can play a two way game (with some toughness).

And then we need to get serious.

You want to know why Babcock was pissed off the SJ got Burns? Because good, mobile, two-way Righthanded D are rare. (one reason why Sproul and Marchenko are very valuable assets and why a guy like Wisniewksi was sought after)

But who's out there?

We've covered this.

In theory it's reasonable. In reality, it's bunk.

Flip has no trade value. Neither does Quincey. Neither do any of the prospects that people would be comfortable giving up.

There are no defensemen available that match your description of what the Wings need, and any guy that is available is not available for the Wings' garbage.

I'd love for the Wings to trade a bunch of crap for a great defenseman. It's not going to happen though.

You've proposed this before.

Let's face it. Hudler isn't coming back.

Thankfully, you're right.

The way to beat big, fast, strong teams is not by adding small, slow, weak players.

Hudler would not help this team.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005

I completely agree.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
How do you figure? Guy is young and talented, and had his career best year last year. Can play center or wing.

Because his contract is up next year?

Pretty much, yes.

Any team that's looking to deal roster players will be looking for futures, not a guy that's a pending UFA. And any team that's looking to rent a pending UFA is going to want to hang onto their roster players and deal futures instead.

So unless you want to deal Flip for futures and make this team even worse this season, Flip effectively has no trade value.

RedWingsNow*

We've covered this.

In theory it's reasonable. In reality, it's bunk.

Flip has no trade value. Neither does Quincey. Neither do any of the prospects that people would be comfortable giving up.

There are no defensemen available that match your description of what the Wings need, and any guy that is available is not available for the Wings' garbage.

I'd love for the Wings to trade a bunch of crap for a great defenseman. It's not going to happen though.

They obviously both have value. Quincey -- we just traded a first rounder for him.
Flip? Solid second line center. On some teams, might even be a #1.

If some team is dumping a high paid defenseman... then there's our trade.
If the prospect was a Ferraro... that might whet appetites too

Flip is far from "crap."

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
The way to beat big, fast, strong teams is not by adding small, slow, weak players.

Hudler would not help this team.

Hudler was better than Franzen against such teams last year, and better offensively at even strength (ridiculously better).

Take the current Wings team and add Hudler. Does that Wings team perform better against St. Louis? Well, no, because Hudler wouldn't have been available due to his personal circumstances. But normally, yes Hudler would significantly improve the team. I'll give you a hint: adding a top-six forward improves your team. If Hudler had played for Detroit against the Blues, who sits? One of Mursak of Emmerton. If Emmerton sits, it means that the lineup might be Brunner/Z/Huds and Cleary/Dats/Sammy, with Franzen/Flip/Mursak and Miller/Abby/Tootoo. If Mursak sits and Emmerton plays, then run this:
Brunner/Z/Huds
Filppula/Dats/Franzen
Cleary/Abby/Sammy
Miller/Emmerton/Tootoo

Now I like the look of those lineups a whole lot more than what went out there. You could even switch it up and run the Z/Dats/Brunner line and then Franzen/Flip/Huds, which was a line at some point in 2008 IIRC.

And that's with Helm still out of the lineup.

That's the kind of lineup versatility and power you lose when you just let a top-six guy walk (or trade him, or whatever).

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
trading filppula is a terrible idea unless of course its to bring in a top pairing young dman. thats not going to happen of course so our best bet is to think smart and maybe a little outside the box.

refusing to ever even consider making an offer sheet is akin to derelection of duty. its a tool to be used, not saying all the time for all RFA's, but sometimes circumstance justifies it. we wont do it of course so no bother lets move on

our defence for the next 5-10 years is more then likely going to have to be a defence by committee as oppossed to superstar ladden. the problem is our current committee is all speaking with the same voice. we need some different opinions, some different points of view if you will, inorder to properly get our message across.

what do we need, what do we lack. we need a big, hard-hitting stay at home dman. Not a top 3 dman who fits that mold but a bottom 3 dman. this should be our #1 target over the next few weeks/months. A Hal gill would have been 10 times a better move to bring in then kyle quincey but whatever.

then we need to look at targeting via a trade a guy who can play in the #2-4 spot on our blueline, perhaps a guy another team is looking to move for salary cap reasons or because he hasent lived up to expectations or whatever, but this is the player who will help form our defence by committee approach with kronwall, smith, erikkson over the next few seasons

on july 5th target one player whether a forward or dman and be incredibly aggressive, offer him more money and better term then anyone else and if we lose out then so be it but no more reluctance to overpay, those days of discounts are over

finally let nyquist and tatar play. if at this point in their development they cant crack our roster then its not because our roster is too good or too deep, its 100% because Holland wasted those draft picks on busts because by now at least one forward from GR should be able to step up and play in our top 9 and make a meaningful impact just like all 29 other NHL teams have been able to produce over the last 3-4 years(regardless of draft position). We need a young player or two to emerge and we need it now, we dont need it 3 years from now we need it today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad