One Small Thought...

• Thread starter Ironchef Chris Wok*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

In the last minute of the US Canada Game, Quinn put out Sakic, Iginla, and Lemieux out there.

1) He was smart enough to put 2 centers out there, I give him that.
2) But what was he doing putting LEMIEUX out there in a situation like this?

This is the reason I was whining about the Draper and Maltby picks. Sure they are grinders and good defensively, but Quinn won't put them out there in the last minute. They're fast but not strong enough to handle these kind of situations.

Why at least one of Peca or Madden were not picked is beyond me. Peca's body is breaking down, but Madden should have been pretty good to go.

I would have like to see Madden out there with Sakic in the last minute. But that's just me.

A Good Flying Bird*

Ironchef Chris Wok said:
In the last minute of the US Canada Game, Quinn put out Sakic, Iginla, and Lemieux out there.

This is the reason I was whining about the Draper and Maltby picks. Sure they are grinders and good defensively, but Quinn won't put them out there in the last minute. They're fast but not strong enough to handle these kind of situations.

Why at least one of Peca or Madden were not picked is beyond me. Peca's body is breaking down, but Madden should have been pretty good to go.

I would have like to see Madden out there with Sakic in the last minute. But that's just me.

Yeah. maltby and Draper can't handle all that skill.
That's why they routinely play the last minute in close games vs. Colorado/Dallas and anyother team that has talent.

senskickass12

Jun 19, 2004
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
QUOTE]

What's wrong with putting Lemieux out in the last minute?

Ironchef Chris Wok said:

That makes absolutely no sense. What makes you think they're not strong enough to handle those situations? If anybody I'd think that the best defensive forward and winner of the Selke this past year would be able to handle it.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

senskickass12 said:
That makes absolutely no sense. What makes you think they're not strong enough to handle those situations? If anybody I'd think that the best defensive forward and winner of the Selke this past year would be able to handle it.

I guess I should have stated my case a little better.

1. When i meant "not strong enought to handle" I didn't mean skill but SIZE. Size is an issue for me. Maltby and Draper aren't the biggest guys around.

2. Maltby might take a stupid penalty.

3. The REAL main point of the post is WHAT THE HELL IS MARIO DOING OUT THERE IN A KEY DEFENSIVE SITUATION?

4. Draper had a great year, no doubt. And he's been part of that grind-line for years. But, if you could choose ANY 3 CANADIAN FORWARDS to put out there on the last minute, would you honestly put out Draper, Maltby, or MARIO LEMIEUX? Draper and Maltby were put on this team for their "defensive contributions". But aren't there guys that are "as good defensively" and provide more offense?

There are a lot of choices for Team Canada to put out there.
In my own little perfect World, I would have Sakic, Madden, and Yzerman (I know he's not big either, but makes up for it by being Steve Yzerman).
On the current team, I'd stick out Sakic, Iginla, and Smyth.

But not Mario Lemieux. Not Kirk Maltby. Draper however wouldn't be a bad choice.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Newsguyone said:
Maltby and Draper have made their entire career out of shutting down guys like Forsberg, Modano, etc.
I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with them out on the ice in the last minute.

1. Doesn't Scotty Bowman use Yzerman in key defensive situations as well?
2. I got sidetracked with Draper and Maltby. The whole point is that MARIO LEMEIUX should not be used in key defensive situations.

A Good Flying Bird*

senskickass12 said:

Maltby and Draper have made their entire career out of shutting down guys like Forsberg, Modano, etc.
I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with them out on the ice in the last minute.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

I almost forgot one thing. Shane Doan would be another great guy to use in key defensive situations.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Maltby was scratched. I'm questioning the Lemieux situation there too. Ideally you want your two best faceoff guys out there, who have a strong defensive instinct. But I guess Quinn wanted size? (so no Draper) And the guarantee of non-stupid penalties (Thornton). Just guessing here. Personally I would've put Draper out there, that's his job.

OT: What the heck was the point of putting Maltby on the team for chemistry purposes if he's not gonna play with Draper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad