One Reason for Panic, One Reason for Confidence

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Still early but I thought this was a fun thread idea.

Reason for panic: The offense still looks like it has no idea how to set up in the offensive zone aside from 5 on 3 scenarios.

Reason for confidence: we lost to a very good team on the road. Not Florida at home. Really nothing to be ashamed of here even if we didn't play too hot.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
I just want to see them shoot more when they enter the zone. Most of yesterday's goals were either shots from outside off the rush, fired through screen/deflection, or rebounds from outside shots. Yesterday our players started curling after they passed the blue line and turned the puck over way too much.

You have a ton of speed.... The best way that comes in handy is on the rush AND chasing down rebounds in the offensive zone.

Last season this team was prone to trying to force a cycling game, last night they did it as well.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
I remember thinking and writing after the first game the previous season that we'd be in for a terrible season. I now realize how pathetic it sounds.

68Forever

Sep 2, 2008
Queens, NY
Panic : WAY too tentative in that game yesterday, Boston was like our stronger meaner older brother

Confidence: We still have Henrik, and he doesn't look (or play) a day over 27

Stepanformayor*

Confidence-Hank-Hank-and Hank..It's only game 1.. Nash is gonna be a force once he gets his legs.

Panic- This team is very soft..How does M.Rupp still have a job.? He ends up on his back every time he fights.. Thornton embarrassed him.. This changed the game IMO.. Lucic knows he can run around all night cause we don't have anyone he won't destroy..

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
I'd like to see consecutive passes made successfully in the offensive zone. Yesterday the goal was again one of those Torts goals. Throw the puck to the net, screen the goalie and hope it goes in. See the goal the Sabres just scored against the Flyers? From the boards to the middle and a nice one-timer from Ott. When was the last time the Rangers even tried something like that? It's way too often shoot, close your eyes and pray.

The best play came from Nash just before the goal and that's something I'd love to see more.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
Del zotto and bickel are a horrendous 3rd pair...didnt work last year, wont work this year.
This. The Rangers' offense will suffer if Del Zotto has to worry about covering Bickel. Del Zotto needs a more defensively responsible partner. Sauer would have come in handy. Too bad neither Staal nor McDonagh are righties.

Kershaw

Panic: Zero breakout game. Zero offensive creativity. No skill in the bottom 6. Stu Bickel is a regular in the lineup.

Confidence: McDonagh, Del Zotto and Lundqvist.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Well the good news is that the rangers cant possibly play any worse than they did last night. I mean outside of hank nobody showed up. Richiards had a goal but was invisible for the most part. nash did well in spurts. hagelin gabby boyle and bickel were awful. Kreider wasnt great but its his first game really and he wont be as effective until he is put with better linemates

Kershaw

Del Zotto was not good yesterday. He was playing scared hockey. Hesitant on numerous situtations.

He's more important than Staal and Girardi. He can at the very least, effectively move the puck up the ice.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Panic: None. Gimme a break.

Confidence: We still have one of the, if not the, best top 4 in the league. Hank in goal.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
confidence- nash richards and gabs only a matter of time till the offense starts producing and we have hank in net

panic- torts fetish with boyle and bickel

hpNYR

HF Forecaster
Jun 18, 2006
Northridge, CA
www.twitter.com
He's more important than Staal and Girardi. He can at the very least, effectively move the puck up the ice.

He should be our best puck moving d-men. Don't think he was yesterday however.

Lundqvist of course stood out. The game couldve been so much worse if it wasn't for him.

Nash stood out with his slick hands. The guys the complete package offensively. Has the skating, hands and size.

Staal was pretty solid on the defensive side.

Hagelin made some very poor deciscions with the puck. Some very bad passes.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Confidence: We have a few problems that can be fixed.

Panic: We have the same recurring problems that haven't been fixed since the mid-90's.

Kershaw

Except he gets worried about getting hit and dances around and turns the puck over.

He was awful yesterday.

I'm not sure which game you were watching. Marc Staal was horrendous last night, Girardi was quietly solid, McDonagh broke many Bruins' cycles and Del Zotto generated many scoring chances.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I'm not sure which game you were watching. Marc Staal was horrendous last night, Girardi was quietly solid, McDonagh broke many Bruins' cycles and Del Zotto generated many scoring chances.

We didn't have many scoring chances, he couldn't have created very many. He had a few good defensive plays, one decent shot, a few rushed wristers into defenders shins and some other shoddy plays. He was below average.

Silver lining? First game... I am really not worried, even if we play somewhat sloppy and just pick up wins for the first 10 or so games until we start rolling that's fine.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Real Panic: The team quickly fell in to their old ruts of dump-and-chase with minimal pressure, making all-star-wannabe blind passes, and throwing the puck away as soon as they touched it more times than not, instead of someone - anyone - carrying the puck anywhere. Played like they didn't know each other for most of the game.

Fake Panic: Almost every former Ranger scored with their respective new teams last night (Anisimov, Jagr, Mitchell, Kovalev)

Confidence: Hank. No injuries. Asham suspended. Gilroy a healthy scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->