One or two cups

1 or 2 cups

• Total voters

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
2 cups, I'll take the other 8 years of being in the lottery should give me a really quality team coming out of it on top of having more cups to begin with. The 1 cup, 9 finals team is probably on their last legs. On top of not winning as many cups they're now likely going to be a much worse team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would have so much time to do **** the other 8 years instead of go 2 months with this sense of dread and inevitable disappointment plus I wouldn't have to worry about disappointing my kid when they ask if I'll be home that night or is there hockey. Sign me up for 2 Cups.

Yea, it's funny, as a Canuck fan, the 2011 run, despite the final result, was a pretty fun ride, but by that time it's well into summer and you're still spending half your free time in a bar instead of outside and putting a ton of things on hold, and I kind of realized after that I probably couldn't handle doing it almost every year. Or else it would probably lose it's lustre anyway and I would start missing games.

Of course the other end of it is it's now hard to watch the team and I would at least like some semblance of competitiveness. I think the one cup would be fine if the other years are more of a mix of different runs, and maybe one more finals in there

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
There’s one cup winner and the rest are losers. Easy decision here.

I’ve some experience with it too as a NY Giants fan, and I wouldn’t trade it for the experience of Rodgers’ Green Bay or Brees’ New Orleans or Manning’s Colts

2 championships > 1 championship

Everything else is irrelevant except championships.

Reactions: COHawk

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Why would I want to watch my team get shat on in the final 9 out of ten years? That would literally go down as one of the biggest fails in sports history.
Exactly. I'm not sure if you're actually from Buffalo but if you are it's even more fitting with the failure of the Bills.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Would you rather have 2 cups in 10 years, but miss the playoffs the other 8.

Or

1 cup in 10 years but make the Stanley cup finally the other 9 years.

Rather have the two cups. Being a vikings fan is hard enough, could imagine losing 9 finals... my lord.

Imagine the "choker" label your team would have to endure.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
It depends on when the cup is won. Im okay if we go 4 cup losses and then a cup and then 5 more cup losses. 8 in a row is ridiculous.

Same for the other options. I wouldnt mind seeing a cup every 5 years. But 8 straight years of missing the playoffs is painful. But im sure some fans will take thst

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Two Cups without even batting an eye. Project this over 50 years, and you get one team with tons of Finals appearances, but only 5 Cup wins - would almost give them a choker label. The other team would have to live with a reputation of major "suckitude", but would have still been able to close the deal an amazing 10 times - in a 30+ team league, this would be an amazing kill ratio.

The team with the 10 Cups would resemble something like the Penguins. They suck for a long time, and then they string a couple of Cups together because of awesome draft luck. I see the team with the 5 Cups as more of a Flyers or a Bruins. Consistently better every year, but with fewer Cups to show for it over the same time period.

At the end of the day, when you look up into the rafters, it's not how many banners you have (Presiden't Trophy, ECF/WCF Champs, Stanley Cups, etc), it really only is about how many Stanley Cup banners you have.

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
2 > 1 regardless of situation.

Losing in the finals 9 years in a row would be the most demoralizing thing ever. No way I'd want to go through that.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Why would I want to watch my team get shat on in the final 9 out of ten years? That would literally go down as one of the biggest fails in sports history.

How is making the Finals every year for a decade “one of the biggest sports failures of all time?”

It would actually be one of the most impressive accomplishments of all time.

And the team would win a Cup as well so it’s not like they never won, it’s more like sustained success for a decade.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Good poll.

I voted 2 cups, but I don't want 2 cups in back to back years, because 4-6 years of no playoffs will harm the franchise too much. If there's like 3 years gap between the cups the fans won't abandon the team and the hype will somewhat stay.

Also depends of the location of the team. In some parts of Canada there would be enough fans even with very little regular season success (regular season success=making it to playoffs). In smaller markets in USA it could be an issue to have many back to back years of no playoff hockey.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Making the Finals is more fun as a fan than missing the playoff. HOWEVER, when you make the Finals that many years there are unreal expectations and you are still always falling short. I don't know if that would really be all that fun. You wouldn't enjoy the series wins leading up to the Final anymore.

What is fun is Cinderella runs to win the Cup, which likely happens TWICE to one of those teams. Yeah so that one.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
this makes me feel like we should have a tier 2 for teams to get relegated to. So many people just count the Cups, and its better to be shitty and get great draft picks. Relegating teams like the Pens pre-Crosby would sure stop tanking. You should always want to be competitive.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
this makes me feel like we should have a tier 2 for teams to get relegated to. So many people just count the Cups, and its better to be ****ty and get great draft picks. Relegating teams like the Pens pre-Crosby would sure stop tanking. You should always want to be competitive.

Well yeah and you would, because nobody ever faces the question in the OP in real life.

The best way to contend is to give yourself a chance every season. Super teams don't always win - as the President's trophy trend indicates.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
"but make the Stanley Cup Finally the other 9 years"

Uhm what? you mean lose in the cup the other 9 years or make the playoffs in general?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
And if you meant 9 Cup Finals losses, then **** me, that sounds pretty damn painful. That team would be the laughing stock of the league, choking so many times.
Losing in late round = choke now apparently. I guess the Golden Knights choked last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad