WJC: One of the arenas only has 1800 seats

carlhockey

Dec 18, 2017
Looks like that arena is only being used for some of the games that won't have as many fans i.e. games not including Canada, US or high profile games like Russia vs Sweden etc.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They're going with 3 games in 1 arena and just 1 in the other daily on days with 4 games. And they've seemed to try to pick the least "interesting" games to do that for. The last time they were in Buffalo they used a 2100 seat arena, and the attendance at those games were 1320, 1381, 1400, 1388, 1382, 1400, 1189, 1171, 1108, and 1180. It's not like they sold out and people missed out on going because of a lack of seating. This year there's the added benefit of the 2 arenas literally being side by side, I think you can get from 1 to the other without even going outdoors.

If there's a big influx of fans for the 4 Sweden/Russia v. Belarus/Switzerland games and 1800 seats aren't enough it'll be unfortunate. In reality it'll probably be enough and most fans will be over watching the other group games or the bigger games in pool B.

The biggest issue comes in the 1 QF game that will happen in that arena. They didn't have 4 QF's the last time it was in Buffalo so all playoff games were in he big arena. I assume they'll put the most lopsided non Canada/USA QF game in that arena. So maybe Sweden v. Slovakia/Denmark or Finland v. Switzerland/Belarus if Finland wins the group.

The biggest impact from a not visitor perspective is the 3 games in the 1 arena leads to a different scehdule this year. Instead of the constant overlapping games there will be games at 12, 2, 4 and then when the 4 game finishes it's a little wait until 8 for the final game of the evening.

mn0733

Dec 20, 2011
Like the last poster said its convenient to have it this way, no traveling for the media and the whole venue is being used as they are literally in the same complex so that makes it much easier over all, Swe vs Bel, Rus vs SUI, Rus vs Bel, Swe vs Sui and Svk vs Den are the 1st rd games there, I checked the 2011 venue and Dywer Arena (Niagara U ice rink) fits 1.400 and Harbor Center fits 1,800 so this one is bigger plus also the practice rink is right next to the small venue as well so all in all makes it simple, less traveling and convenient.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Move those games to New Era Field if necessary. If they sell out or have complaints. Ice is good to go.

71, 870 seat capacity. Let's see that get filled.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Which ever arena is being used for russia/czech is completely empty. Would not be suprised it didnt even have 500 ppl in the arena.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I cant be the only one who thinks it would be awesome to see an important game like a WJC played in a tiny place, I think it would be fun, really load environment for two teams that would not draw to fill the bigger stadiums,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad