One myth about your prospect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Le Golie said:
We dissagree. I've seen Nilsson consistently distribute the puck the way only the special players can. His play making is unreal and I bet any Islander fan who has watched the games this year would keep Nilsson over Parise without thinking twice.

Nilsson will never have the defensive game that Parise has, but I'm happy picking up the defensive players in the second and third rounds. Nilsson is a legitimate first round offensive talent.
Considering some of the subsequent picks the Isles have made since taking Nilsson (Colliton, Nokelainen, Comeau, O'Marra), you're right, I wouldn't trade them. Though that doesn't necessarily mean that I think one will be better than the other. It's apples and oranges, really. As far as that pick goes, the real debate for Isles fans should really be debating Nilsson+Nokelainen vs. Parise+Schremp.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Gwyddbwyll said:
Phoenix could have picked Wheeler with the 50th pick instead of the 5th! (No, they couldnt)

Phoenix should have traded down to get Wheeler! (They did try moving a couple of spots)
I believe they offered the Rangers the 5th for thr 6th and 51st, and they didn't want to go much further because the Islanders wanted him

anyways, Al Montoya is mentally weak

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
jmelm said:
Myth: Christensen is a poor skater with AHL star upside (Redline Report) and he avoids contact and physical play (THN Draft Preview).

Reality: Christensen is probably the best skater on the Penguins after Rico Fata and Konstantin Koltsov; he has no problem whatsoever with physical contact (while not a power forward by any means, he initiates contact regularly on the forcheck) and his upside is an NHL star.
That was actually true in his draft year but the great thing about Christensen is that he wants "it" and has worked on his flaws to become a fine NHLer. I've read some of your other posts about him and agree that he's going to be a very good NHLer. He reminds me a ton of Miro Satan, thin but wirey, long stick, tough in his own way (he'll take a hit to make a play and go into traffic) and has magic hands. The thing that I love about his hands is that he doesn't have to stop moving his feet to make moves. I would like to see him bust into holes and set up for that wicked shot a little more but that will come in time.

KH1

#66 said:
That was actually true in his draft year but the great thing about Christensen is that he wants "it" and has worked on his flaws to become a fine NHLer. I've read some of your other posts about him and agree that he's going to be a very good NHLer. He reminds me a ton of Miro Satan, thin but wirey, long stick, tough in his own way (he'll take a hit to make a play and go into traffic) and has magic hands. The thing that I love about his hands is that he doesn't have to stop moving his feet to make moves. I would like to see him bust into holes and set up for that wicked shot a little more but that will come in time.
From what I saw in the Isles game where he victimized us with 2 goals Satan is actually a very good comparison. The only difference is that Christensen seemed to be more of a shoot first kind of player, but then again he doesn't have the luxury of passing to an Alexei Yashin like Satan does.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
#66 said:

I said this before, but he reminds me of a few guys that wear #19: Sakic, Naslund and Richards, in the sense that has a similar just pure offensive skill. In particular, I see a lot of Sakic and Richards in him.

Incredible shooting ability to go along with pure poised and creative finishing opportunity in front of the net to go along with solid work in the corners/on the wall and great playmaking ability.

I love this kid, in case you can't tell, but Pittsburgh has got themselves another very special kid here to go along with Crosby and Malkin up front.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
King Henry I said:
From what I saw in the Isles game where he victimized us with 2 goals Satan is actually a very good comparison. The only difference is that Christensen seemed to be more of a shoot first kind of player, but then again he doesn't have the luxury of passing to an Alexei Yashin like Satan does.

He's got a great passing game and vision and is a great set-up man. But if there is an opportunity to shoot, he won't be shy: he's a pure sniper.

Rolexmaster

Aug 3, 2005
Myth: Montreal wasted their 5th pick overall

I guess we'll have to wait a couple of years to see this one unfold

Transported Upstater

-31- said:
I believe they offered the Rangers the 5th for thr 6th and 51st, and they didn't want to go much further because the Islanders wanted him

anyways, Al Montoya is mentally weak

I remember in 2004, I kept saying that Lundqvist was a better goalie prospect.

I'm certainly not about to change now, even with Montoya playing well in the AHL.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Myth: Robbie Earl is a hockey player.
Reality: He's an olympic diver.

It's truly awe inspiring watching him. Players don't even need to check him and he'll go flying through the air.

Randall Graves*

jmelm said:
I said this before, but he reminds me of a few guys that wear #19: Sakic, Naslund and Richards, in the sense that has a similar just pure offensive skill. In particular, I see a lot of Sakic and Richards in him.

Incredible shooting ability to go along with pure poised and creative finishing opportunity in front of the net to go along with solid work in the corners/on the wall and great playmaking ability.

I love this kid, in case you can't tell, but Pittsburgh has got themselves another very special kid here to go along with Crosby and Malkin up front.
Alot of Sakic in him eh? Why not just go a step further and say he has alot of Gretzky, Howe and Orr too?

Transported Upstater

RallyKiller said:
Alot of Sakic in him eh? Why not just go a step further and say he has alot of Gretzky, Howe and Orr too?

Also, what exactly is Richards doing in a group with Sakic and Naslund?

On that note, this is post #1000. In less than 3 months.

I have no life, and many problems. :propeller

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
RallyKiller said:

I didn't say he IS Sakic or will be another Sakic. In trying to explain/compare his style of play, he is similar to those players, IMO. He has an extremely quick, accurate and heavy shot like Joe Sakic and is also very quick, shifty and creative with the puck. When I see him play, I see similarities to those players. Obviously, he has a hell of a long way to go to get to that level and may never get there, but that's the style of game he plays and he's got potential to be an elite offensive hockey player.

If he had been taken in the top 10 in the draft, I probably wouldn't be flamed for this at all. But because he was a late rounder and was virtually unknown by others coming into this season, people here don't respect him, in the hype-machine that is HF boards.

People have to realize that top prospects/players come out of different places, at different times, and from different rounds in the draft. If I had said before Pavel Datsyuk got here or after his first 5 games, when he was an unknown entity, that he was going to be an elite offensive star in the NHL, I would have been flamed just like I am now because people didn't know about him and he wasn't taken in as a first rounder. But it wouldn't have meant it wasn't gonna happen.

But I guess if Christensen was drafted in the first round, not only would I not be flamed for my comments, but I'm sure you'd have many other people hopping on the Erik Christensen bandwaggon, as well. Excuse me for being bold and honest and having my own opinion, rather than being a follower and bandwaggon jumper.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
It is a complete and total myth that Steve Bernier is fat, out of shape and a poor skater.

That is a leftover presumption from his draft year, more than two years ago, and he has dealt with every single one of those issues.

1datsyuk3*

mytor4 said:
myth=jack johnson the next bobby orr
truth=will be better that the phaneuf but not by to much

i think phaneuf is now and will always be better than JJ

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Fedorov the 3rd is good enough to play in the NHL.

Last edited:

Fryer

Sep 1, 2005
Slitty said:
Fedorov the 3rd is good enough to play in the NHL.
Who is Fedorov the 3rd? Sergei got another little brother besides Fedor growing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad