One myth about your prospect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Here's one for the Wild: Voloshenko is terrible at skating. He has worked on his skating in the offseason and has become a good skater. He still has his nice finishing touch but his skating has improved. Definitely a first round pick.

Maithz

Guillaume Latendresse was drafted 45th overall because of his skating , he made the pre season camp with the Habs and finished in top 5 of the teams in points .

KH1

HABS-65 said:
Guillaume Latendresse was drafted 45th overall because of his skating , he made the pre season camp with the Habs and finished in top 5 of the teams in points .
No, I'm pretty sure that's why he was drafted 45th. Doesn't make it true though.

Here's a myth: Robert Nilsson will be a worse pro than Zach Parise

Phanuthier*

I guess for the Flames, that Chucko is a "safe" pick.

He'll play in the NHL for sure, but I don't know how anyone could possibly say that about a player who, at this stage, is very very raw.

I mean, how can a BCHL pick be "safe" at all?

It's a risk just like the much debated Schremp pick, but of a different nature.

Just like I've heard Schremp's upside be compared to Doug Weight, at the time of the draft, many had compared Chucko to Jarome Iginla. (Note: I am not saying Chucko = Iginla)

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Toronto has no future nhlers in their system

oh, hehe, and wellwood will never make it (7 more points than higgins :yo:.. some will remember the thread ;) )

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Phoenix could have picked Wheeler with the 50th pick instead of the 5th! (No, they couldnt)

Phoenix should have traded down to get Wheeler! (They did try moving a couple of spots)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
"Pa-ri-se's bet-ter"
MAF is a bust.
Malkin has thin bones.
Ouellet's a goal suck off of Kris Beech.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Myth: Christensen is a poor skater with AHL star upside (Redline Report) and he avoids contact and physical play (THN Draft Preview).

Reality: Christensen is probably the best skater on the Penguins after Rico Fata and Konstantin Koltsov; he has no problem whatsoever with physical contact (while not a power forward by any means, he initiates contact regularly on the forcheck) and his upside is an NHL star.

mytor4*

myth=jack johnson the next bobby orr
truth=will be better that the phaneuf but not by to much

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Myth: Andrew Ladd has no offensive upside, and will be a checking line forward his entire career.

Truth: While Ladd doesn't have Tkachuk upside, he does have scoring ability.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
jmelm said:
Myth: Christensen is a poor skater with AHL star upside (Redline Report) and he avoids contact and physical play (THN Draft Preview).

Reality: Christensen is probably the best skater on the Penguins after Rico Fata and Konstantin Koltsov; he has no problem whatsoever with physical contact (while not a power forward by any means, he initiates contact regularly on the forcheck) and his upside is an NHL star.

I would say Crosby is also above Christensen in the skating department. ;)

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jmelm said:

My god.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Myth: Robert Nilsson is a bust.

Despite the Piere McGuire propaganda, the kid has been a thrill to watch this year. When he gets a bit more size and seasoning he will be one of the elite scorers in the NHL. His vision is absolutely unbelievable. I was really down on him after watching the last two WJHC tournaments, but it is clear now that it wasn't the real Nilsson playing those games. Parise over Nilsson? No way, no chance.

MeatTornado

I was born ready
Oct 25, 2004
Vancouver
Kirill Koltsov has no intention on coming back to NA to play in the NHL.

He went back to russia to be with his family, he was quoted as saying that he felt that playing in the rsl would better prepare him for the NHL than the AHL would.

Korpido

Jul 15, 2005
Le Golie said:
Myth: Robert Nilsson is a bust.

Despite the Piere McGuire propaganda, the kid has been a thrill to watch this year. When he gets a bit more size and seasoning he will be one of the elite scorers in the NHL. His vision is absolutely unbelievable. I was really down on him after watching the last two WJHC tournaments, but it is clear now that it wasn't the real Nilsson playing those games. Parise over Nilsson? No way, no chance.

McGuire is an ***...
But you're overrating Nilsson.

I've seen plenty of Nilsson this year and I think hes been alright. Hes shown flashes, but he's also been invinsible a few times (although hes been alot better of late) He's a good bet for a solid second line winger down the line that'll put up 60-70 points a year. It's good production, not elite production.

Parise is a more complete player than Nilsson will ever be. It broke my heart when the Devils drafted him.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Korpido said:
McGuire is an ***...

I've seen plenty of Nilsson this year and I think hes been alright. Hes shown flashes, but he's also been invinsible a few times (although hes been alot better of late) He's a good bet for a solid second line winger down the line that'll put up 60-70 points a year. It's good production, not elite production.

Parise is a more complete player than Nilsson will ever be. It broke my heart when the Devils drafted him.
I think in the end'll likely be a wash. Parise is undoubtedly a much more mature player right now than Nilsson, that much is obvious. Yet there point totals are nearly identical at the moment. I don't see Parise having as much room to grow as a player. He'll still be valuable, and should be a very good second liner, putting up maybe 50-60 and bringing leadership and 2way play. I see him turning out very Mike York-esque, give or take and likely with a bit more leadership and defense. He could suprise me, but that's my hunch.

Nilsson though is still quite raw, and is getting by a lot more on his natural ability. IIf he refines his game, adds some muscle and hones his ability to utilise his skills, I see him being a better producer. He may or may not ever fulfill that potential, of course. The rest of Parise's game may make up for the difference in points, but it all depends on how the two continue to develop. Only time will tell. There's no clear answer at this time, IMO.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Korpido said:
McGuire is an ***...

We dissagree. I've seen Nilsson consistently distribute the puck the way only the special players can. His play making is unreal and I bet any Islander fan who has watched the games this year would keep Nilsson over Parise without thinking twice.

Nilsson will never have the defensive game that Parise has, but I'm happy picking up the defensive players in the second and third rounds. Nilsson is a legitimate first round offensive talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->