Post-Game Talk: Ondrej "The Boss" Pavelec does it again: 1-0 Jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
Chris Peters thinks Myers maybe decided to drop his stick and let Stastny walk in on a breakaway there? Dubious...

Can they fine Shattenkirk for the obvious disrespect towards the referee's? Because I think they should.

As for the game, I love that we can put our two young centers, Schief and Lowry, out versus virtually anyone and they will be match up very well. The growth this year has been amazing and I hope it continues next year!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Has an NHL goalie gotten shutouts on consecutive nights before? I know Fleury did it in the playoffs last year, but anyone do it in the regular season?

It happens - not super rare. Dubnyk had back to back shutouts this year. Didn't that Hamburgler guy in Ottawa do it too? Yes he did - shut out the Ducks and Kings back to back in February. Price has had 2 separate back-to-back shutouts this season with the Habs. Brian Boucher has the NHL record with 5 (in 2004).

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It happens - not super rare. Dubnyk had back to back shutouts this year. Didn't that Hamburgler guy in Ottawa do it too? Yes he did - shut out the Ducks and Kings back to back in February. Price has had 2 separate back-to-back shutouts this season with the Habs. Brian Boucher has the NHL record with 5 (in 2004).

back to back nights?

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

I just checked, Price and Dubnyk didn't do it in back to back nights (only back to back games). But hamburgler did this season on consecutive nights.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Holy crap.

Downwards chop on Myers' stick -> check
Forceful enough to knock the stick out of his hand -> check
Wasn't an attempt to play the puck -> check
Resulted in a clean breakaway with Myers unable to defend -> check and check

The "hold on to your stick" argument is a homer argument. You can say that for quite literally every single case where a slash is called for knocking a stick out of a player's hand. Bottom line is that you have to call it, especially when there's obviously no intent to play the puck, and even more when it results in/deprives a clean scoring chance.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I just checked, Price and Dubnyk didn't do it in back to back nights (only back to back games). But hamburgler did this season on consecutive nights.

Ah yes...I misunderstood the original question. So it's not too rare for a goalie to post shutouts in consecutive games, but it would be more rare to do it in back-to-back nights.

Miller also did it. So 3 times this season a goalie has posted consecutive shutouts on both games of a back-to-back.

seasontixholder*

Holy crap.

The "hold on to your stick" argument is a homer argument. You can say that for quite literally every single case where a slash is called for knocking a stick out of a player's hand. Bottom line is that you have to call it, especially when there's obviously no intent to play the puck, and even more when it results in/deprives a clean scoring chance.

The CBS Sports page is typical American NHL sports writing. They don't even know the rules.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Nothing warranted a suspension last night.

Headbutt: looked intentional but not blatent enough for suspension.
Reaves: not blatent but deserved a penalty. Reaves was just protecting himself from a hit.
Neck Attack: blatent but no nearly as forceful as Buff's crosscheck. Fine at most.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Holy crap.

StL fans have a valid argument, as it is at least a debatable call, although I still agree that it was a good call.

ImpeccableAptGrayling.gif

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
StL fans have a valid argument, as it is at least a debatable call, although I still agree that it was a good call.

I disagree totally, they have a homer fan right to argue against it but it is no conceivable way valid. It was a slash that caused Myers to lose his stick and he was unable to defend the play because of it, short of grabbing Stastny and hauling him down Myers was unable to do anything. If he hauled him down then it would've been a penalty on him. Correct call and proper result, not really debateable at all in my opinion.

Any suspensions coming out of the Backes crosscheck, I no longer care but it should get looked at by the league at the least.

One thing we didn't hear Maurice crying to the media like AV did after the game.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Not really sure what can be debated.

No debate. The right call. If you listen to the audio, you can even hear the crack sound of the stick on stick slash that blasts the stick out of Myers' hand. It wasn't a stick lift or a tap. It was a forceful slash. Stick went flying. Arm goes up - penalty.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Give Pavs an extension... whats the maximum number of years you can sign a player for?

It's 8 years. Let's give Pavelec 8 years at $8 million per season since he's clearly proven he's an elite goaltender! No trade clause too. We need Pavelec to retire as a Jet!

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011

No debate at all.

3C1772V.gif

Of course after I posted that Blues fans started saying Myers intentionally dropped his stick :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Of course after I posted that Blues fans started saying Myers intentionally dropped his stick :laugh:

That ridiculous.

It's interesting though that in the camera from behind the goal it looks like it might have been unintentional (a unintentional slash is still a slash) and from the back view it looks very intentional. It's a slash no doubt, where it was intentional is another issue. Doesn't matter for the sake of penalty though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad