Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would, but if Stammer can return to his form prior to his injury then he can take that title back in my mind.

Yeah, this is my opinion. Palat was our best player down the stretch, but Stamkos is at about 80-90% right now, and seemed to get worse in the playoffs. In a way that's good news for next year though.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
How do you guys feel about Palat's contract status??

DO you think he will get PAID or just a bridge contract??

Any rumours about the caphit and length?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How do you guys feel about Palat's contract status??

DO you think he will get PAID or just a bridge contract??

Any rumours about the caphit and length?

We're all expecting >2, <3. He's getting the contract coming off a rookie year, which, despite how good it was, will keep the number reasonable. His contract and Johnson's contract will be relevant to each other, with Palat getting slightly more. I would expect both contracts to come in under 5.5 combined though, maybe even under 5.

As a pure guess, I'll say a 3 year, 2.6 per, bonus-heavy contract, at the expiration of which this kid is getting PAID.

Not just rich. Cally-rich.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree with Still All In. 2.0-2.75.

Yeah, I figure Johnson will get something around 2. 2.2. Something in that range. Gotta think Palat will get a tad bit more. Not a lot more, but a bit.

Last edited:

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Way too high.

Not at all, ROR got 5m x 2 in his contract year with lesser numbers. I understand that was an offer sheet but I'm sure the Avs would have settled for 4m a season. This is a somewhat comparable scenario in terms of there player type to Palat. Really not sure why people are low balling what he's going to get.

I'll be shocked if he settles for anything less than 3m a year personally.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not at all, ROR got 5m x 2 in his contract year with lesser numbers. I understand that was an offer sheet but I'm sure the Avs would have settled for 4m a season. This is a somewhat comparable scenario in terms of there player type to Palat. Really not sure why people are low balling what he's going to get.

O'Reilly wasn't a rookie though. That's really the main reason why no one's seeing Palat getting >3. He'll make up for it in his next contract though.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, I figure Johnson will get something around 2. 2.2. Something in that range. Gotta think Palat will get a tad bit more. Not a lot more, but a bit.

A tad bit more is a few hundred thousand dollars...

Gosh, let that sink in for a second. I got in the wrong business.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
O'Reilly wasn't a rookie though. That's really the main reason why no one's seeing Palat getting >3. He'll make up for it in his next contract though.

Sure he's a rookie, but his numbers were unreal. I'm not saying he'll get 3+ but if he wants 3+, he'll get it.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Disagree entirely. They'll be trying to get them between 1.75 to 2.5. I like the guys but its only one season.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Disagree entirely. They'll be trying to get them between 1.75 to 2.5. I like the guys but its only one season.

I see where your coming from but I think it's slightly naive to think he can't demand 3+ if he and his agent want that.

I know he's only had 1 season in the NHL but he had similar numbers to Hossa and Bergeron in his rookie season while being on a lesser team.

If Palat holds out (which I highly doubt he does) he will no doubt receive a similar offer sheet what Calgary offered ROR.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I see where your coming from but I think it's slightly naive to think he can't demand 3+ if he and his agent want that.

I know he's only had 1 season in the NHL but he had similar numbers to Hossa and Bergeron in his rookie season while being on a lesser team.

If Palat holds out (which I highly doubt he does) he will no doubt receive a similar offer sheet what Calgary offered ROR.

For every Hossa and Bergeron, there are 50 others guys who had one good season and flopped.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

That's the thing though. It would take a holdout to get him 3+, and I'm not sure he'd want to go down that road.

ROR got an offer sheet, if I remember correctly, from Jay Feaster, who was pretty desperate at the time and whose job was likely in jeopardy. And it almost definitely hurt Feaster's reputation and burned some bridges. I doubt anyone's going to want to burn a bridge with Yzerman right now, considering how he looks like he has this GM job for as long as he wants it and has a full deck of forward prospects that he's going to have to start dealing from soon. It would take a lengthy holdout, I would think, for a GM to work up the nerve to slip Palat a sheet. Otherwise, we'd see it a whole lot more often with RFAs. It's very, very rare, and there's a reason for that.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I love how cooper talks about his boys and says things like they still drive the same cars.

I hope you all get this about Palat and Tyjo and the others.

Is not gonna be money issues they just want to play and win. If get treated fairly meaning what others get whom have paid dues we will not have ANY issues.

That is my take on it.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I love how cooper talks about his boys and says things like they still drive the same cars.

I hope you all get this about Palat and Tyjo and the others.

Is not gonna be money issues they just want to play and win. If get treated fairly meaning what others get whom have paid dues we will not have ANY issues.

That is my take on it.

I don't think you can stress enough that these guys have played together under Cooper for so long. There's gotta be some reluctance to break up that unit over $$$. The power of friendship :pillow:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->