Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Cullen is referring to the team stat for when Palat is on the ice. High shooting percentage for his line in general, and the goalie has an abnormally high save percentage when they're on the ice. Even so, 10% would only be slightly on the high side, I would think.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think Cullen is referring to the team stat for when Palat is on the ice. High shooting percentage for his line in general, and the goalie has an abnormally high save percentage when they're on the ice. Even so, 10% would only be slightly on the high side, I would think.

He seems average shots shooting percentage etc.? He was top line marty had a great year imho when was on that line but tj and drej have been solid since first game they came up last year?

13-14 percent gonna put out 165-170 shots. I dont think that is extreme.

Guess maybe might look high because of lack of power play but they get quality 5 on 5 opportunities.

I would simply say for people to keep expecting close to this production for a long time?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He seems average shots shooting percentage etc.? He was top line marty had a great year imho when was on that line but tj and drej have been solid since first game they came up last year?

13-14 percent gonna put out 165-170 shots. I dont think that is extreme.

Guess maybe might look high because of lack of power play but they get quality 5 on 5 opportunities.

I would simply say for people to keep expecting close to this production for a long time?

Pretty sure Cullen's numbers are post-trade deadline. So his time with MSL isn't included.

NHLeitner

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
Whoever came up with the "forgot about drej" bit... I love you.

url.gif

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I never understood why people say that players with high shooting percentages are lucky. Especially over almost a full season.

because unless the player is elite, numbers will regress the following season(s). kadri and eberle are few recent ones that come to my mind.

I think that's a PDO argument, which combines shooting percentage with save percentage. The argument is that over time it will level out to around 1000, but I think that doesn't factor in elite level players.

yup. elite players can influence on-ice sh%.

the previous 3 years only these players had (at least) as high on-ice sh% as palat has now

stamkos
marty
kunitz
lupul
tanguay
crosby

crosby didn't play much in that period though.

this season palat has 11th highest on-ice sh% 5on5. some regression is probably expected but he's on his first year so corsi and fenwick should also improve so that regression in PDO won't matter much, if at all. and it's not that far-etched that palat would have the ability to drive PDO a bit. cooper didn't compare him to bergeron (if palat was center) for no reason.

Pretty sure Cullen's numbers are post-trade deadline. So his time with MSL isn't included.

it is included in that on-ice sh and sv% numbers.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Some non-elite players sustain high shooting percentages. Sergei Kostitsyn comes to mind - he was always ~20%.

Still, the point stands.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Some non-elite players sustain high shooting percentages. Sergei Kostitsyn comes to mind - he was always ~20%.

Still, the point stands.

that was his own sh%. cullen was talking about on-ice sh%; every shot tampa fires on net when certain player (palat in this case) is on the ice.

kostitsyn's career average was 16.2% for his career. though that was 4th highest during that time, with stamkos having the highest.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes

Lightning's Ondrej Palat (5 goals, 16 points in 16 games) named NHL's rookie of the month for March.

Well deserved! :handclap:

Pete Jensen ‏@NHLJensen

Ondrej Palat: only rookie to win NHL "Rookie of the Month" twice this season (January & March). Quite the new year. #CzechMate #TBLightning

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
even though tyjo and drej will not win the calder probably the team might have bonuses for guys still on elc and also the league gives bonuses so second and third place are not bad at all:)

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-do-entry-level-contracts-work

Nice little pay days for palat 140k and johnson 130k?
Never knew the league gave out bonuses themselves not just teams pretty cool I think!!

Retweeted Yahoo Sports NHL (@YahooSportsNHL):

#NHL rookie forwards -- Plus/minus

Palat TB +28
MacKinnon COL +22
Nichushkin DAL +22
Toffoli LA +22
Johnson TB +20
Kreider NYR +14

didnt know where to put this one so just putting here

Retweeted Yahoo Sports NHL (@YahooSportsNHL):

#NHL top 10 -- Best goal differential

Bruins +84
Blues +68
Hawks +52
Ducks +49
Sharks +47
Pens +43
Kings +31
Avs +30
Rangers +22
Bolts +18

sourdough

Sep 23, 2009
Has there been any indication of what kind of money he will be asking for in the off season?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Has there been any indication of what kind of money he will be asking for in the off season?
Well all these guys are coming off elc. Killorn panik johnson palat etc. is more.

I would expect based on games played killorn johnson and palat to get a raise of around a million.

All were lightly payed in past. So all contracts say will be like 1.6 to 2.5 million for 2-3 years bridges.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
'cullen: 2014 nhl award picks"

"CALDER TROPHY
Winner: Ondrej Palat, LW, Tampa Bay
Runners-up: Nathan MacKinnon, C, Colorado; Jacob Trouba, D, Winnipeg
Comment: This was really a surprisingly good race, as Palat wouldn't go away, even once MacKinnon surged into the rookie scoring lead. MacKinnon held on to win that race, 63 points to Palat's 59, but Palat faced higher-quality competition, as he was an offensive driver for the Lightning even while Steven Stamkos was injured. It's very close, to be sure, but I give Palat the edge."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449515

I hope he gets the Calder plus the Cullen

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
@TSNBobMcKenzie: CALDER: 1. MacKinnon 2. Trouba 3. Palat.

Sigh. I respect Bobs opinion but honestly in what world does trouba deserve to be ahead of Palat and Maatta. Both have done more on playoff teams.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
@TSNBobMcKenzie: CALDER: 1. MacKinnon 2. Trouba 3. Palat.

Sigh. I respect Bobs opinion but honestly in what world does trouba deserve to be ahead of Palat and Maatta. Both have done more on playoff teams.

was this actually Bob's opinion? Normally he polls GMs or scouts or some other hockey position. Rarely does Bob actually give an opinion on anything.

EDIT: Just saw those are his votes. It's to be expected, I guess. The Canadian hockey guys watch very little southern hockey.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I just love when you see him as the guy driving the net on the rush, and the guy taking the puck away on the backcheck. He's faster than he looks, such smarts...

Became a real favorite. I don't think he'll win a Selke, just because wingers rarely do, but I think we've got an amazing player for years to come.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think palat is the smartest guy on the ice with the speed will and determination to follow. Is amazing to watch him playing D and always being in the right position to make the steal stop the pass start a rush.

He is special I get he will not get selke votes this year but I think he will be first forward in a very long time to win one. He is very very very good way better than advertised or expected.

I got to attribute that to his hockey sense and IQ he reminds me of datsyuk a ton but when he is in the middle on pk or during another teams offensive series hes like another defensemen and plays like lidstrom never out of position always making the right moves if you watch he doesnt just steal the puck or block a shot he actually starts the puck transition more often than not and that is knowing where to be.

Kid is going to be GREAT perhaps ELITE.

I get the hype on Mackinnon and age factors year etc. can see him winning the calder but palat truly deserves it for that defense. Maybe this year they can TIE? Think that would be fair.

To me Palat is probably our most important player moving forward.

Great news is vladdy namestnikov has a lot of the same characteristics that make palat great so if he can just be close:) WE WIN WE WIN WE WIN haha.

I wont mind palat not getting the calder cause truly mack had a great year but defensively is no comparison to the work palat did this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad