Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Why compare him to anybody? Palat is Palat. And how great is that?

Pallet.jpg

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Why compare him to anybody? Palat is Palat. And how great is that?

This, while he shows many similarties to a lot of elite two-way forwards he has a unique way in which he plays the game. People will soon be using Palat as a comparable.

On another note, this kid is our best player most nights and I've never seen such a consistent performer in a Lightning sweater. He's unreal.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I get what everyone is saying like hossa thought about backes myself but the size is difference and get what you are saying about how he goes and gets the puck on defense and yes is exactly like datsyuk. Is just palat seems more north south less creative he is a lot like callahan guy open pass score lol is a black and white thing what datsyuk brings is something else on offense at least and is like a oh my god.

Palat thinks very very very quickly. He is relentless. He is like draper but can score a ton more he hits at same rates and blocks shots like jt oshie. Same percentage per toi per game. That was why oshie. How he is so dammed small and is so built well to not get knocked off puck and actually his slick hands of stealing pucks is like toews and datsyuk and draper and all those selke guys. He is relentless though and is amazing to watch and we do not as fans truly appreciate what he will and is bringing and will over the next 10 years. I say this and will go on limb but he is the first guy but hedman stamkos will say palat is probably here for 10 years.

To the one question on federov? Federov was flat out the best defensive forward I have ever seen. He is so far better than toews datsyuk any of them is no comparison

Was his speed and how he worked to get pucks hell they put him on D and he was one of best in the game lmfao. I have high hopes for Kucherov I see federov in him the speed the how he goes after a guy on boards and steals a puck etc.

If he will WORK if he will build the muscle and keep it? He has the capability to be like federov maybe never score 130 etc. but be one of the best all around players in the game. He has that in him its up to him to put forth the work. He flat out has that world class speed. He has the moves the shot etc. Is simply up to him to work on what god gave him to be elite.

My money says he will become that elite. Absolutely will push for goal years and over a ppg etc. Will be one of the best two way players in the game. He has the instincts everything palat has but he has that shot and he has so much more speed is just crazy. He has the hockey IQ we have seen it. He just has to put in the work now and he will become GREAT.

Just as palat is already as a 23 year old rookie GREAT. I like palats game is not window dressed is north south straight to one goal always head up that is most impressive. I cant believe at his weight size how stable he is on his feet.

So like others said that is like the young datsyuk. Where kucherov is more like a young zetterberg. Score more goals etc. Is interesting and great to be seeing this.

So whatever your bet was? You will eat shirt or whatever sillyness you said lol. I have watched a long time. Some people fail to live up and do the work. Some just are not that relentless to put it in and do it:) Some are though. My money is palat will continue to get better but top off below a ppg guy but be one of the best in game year in and out in two way play he will always be in conversation. My money is on kucherov nothing I have seen or heard out of his mouth our staff etc. tells me he will not do the work to become more than just great:) He has it in him. He will do the work. Injuries weird things can happen otherwise well eating a shirt so to speak would suck and is kinda stupid:)

Kucherov attacks the boards exactly like palat he was learning a ton from palat when they were lined up they were scoring big time. Next year kucherov is gonna be bigger stronger tougher and better prepared. I see a jump like we watched this year with johnson and palat a big big jump. Year after? When he plays with elite guys at the same time? Yeah good luck stopping the russian nightmare a train is coming and your standing on the tracks.

I feel for the NHL what is going to happen in 2 more seasons tops. We are gonna see the greatest age of lightning hockey in its history. Maybe ever:) Is gonna be fun. The pieces are close to in place.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's probably the biggest feel-good stats-list of the year. ...WOW.

Nowadejs everybody wanna talk like they got somethin to sej

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
ya whered you get the list nyquist should be on this list or close I would think for detroit?

The list is something I posted in another thread comparing him to the top 5 point leaders on the entire season and what they have done since January 1st. Not sure if anyone else is better than that, but it's possible. The other 3 I did check were Duchene, MacKinnon & Landeskog and Palat had more than them as well.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Last year of his current contract. What kind of extension will Palat get? Short-term, prove yourself, like Kadri's, or do you lock him up long-term, like Henrique?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Last year of his current contract. What kind of extension will Palat get? Short-term, prove yourself, like Kadri's, or do you lock him up long-term, like Henrique?

I dont see the kids getting big contracts till they have in a couple hundred games killer tyjo or palat.

Maybe i am wrong but I think most they get is 2-3 years bridge deals double what paid now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I dont see the kids getting big contracts till they have in a couple hundred games killer tyjo or palat.

Maybe i am wrong but I think most they get is 2-3 years bridge deals double what paid now.

Robert for once agree with you. All 3 should get 2-3 years with a max of 2 million a year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
ONDREJ THE GIANT

When it was looking like Lightning C Tyler Johnson might be pushing for the Calder Trophy as top rookie, competing with Avalanche C Nathan MacKinnon, another Tampa Bay forward inserted himself into the discussion.

Since the trade deadline, LW Ondrej Palat has scored five goals and nine assists in 10 games, playing more than 21 minutes in six of them. He has spent the bulk of his time on a line with Valtteri Filppula and newcomer Ryan Callahan and rarely gets power play time.

There is good fortune at play, as Palat is on the high-end in both on-ice shooting percentage (10.3%) and save percentage (.940), but he also deserves credit for earning his production at even-strength. Palat's 35 5-on-5 points ties him with 10 others for 28th in the league.

Not bad for a seventh-round pick out of Drummondville in the QMJHL, as a 19-year-old, in 2011. Palat currently ranks seventh in that draft class with 55 NHL points

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=447435

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I never understood why people say that players with high shooting percentages are lucky. Especially over almost a full season.

I don't get that either. I'd get if it was ridiculously high, like >20%. But 10% really isn't THAT high. Shows that you are a good shooter/finisher, but it's really nothing that is unbelievable.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I don't get that either. I'd get if it was ridiculously high, like >20%. But 10% really isn't THAT high. Shows that you are a good shooter/finisher, but it's really nothing that is unbelievable.

Ya I get stamkos. I thought most guys when were elite though were 11 to 14 range?

So a guy having a very good season at 10? That is not that great to me. Maybe I am missing something?

I mean I thought Abdelkader had a year at 8.9 now that was not normal for him lol.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think that's a PDO argument, which combines shooting percentage with save percentage. The argument is that over time it will level out to around 1000, but I think that doesn't factor in elite level players.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think that's a PDO argument, which combines shooting percentage with save percentage. The argument is that over time it will level out to around 1000, but I think that doesn't factor in elite level players.

ah missed the save percentage part lol. I dont do those stats. That is breaking down things too much.

If see a guy have half a year at 17 percent shooting who was lifer 11 think he will probably come back to earth at some point:)

That other stuff is way too deep for me to decipher or care about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad