Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Palat will probably see a lot more PP time with the first unit now that he and Miller aren't going to be swapped around all of time. Possible 90 pt season? Stay tuned

Reactions: JoVel

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat will probably see a lot more PP time with the first unit now that he and Miller aren't going to be swapped around all of time. Possible 90 pt season? Stay tuned

It's hard to sort out expectations from one season to the next. We could put a totally different guy in that spot. Especially if Palat only plays 50 games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I am probably the only one on this site who thinks Palat can still be a very productive player for us next year. He needs to get himself healthy

I think it's possible. I just think the odds might be against him now.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Judging from this season so far he was obviously playing injured last season. Why did they let him play 64 games? It’s not like we were fighting for a playoff spot until the last regular season game. Seems super questionable.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Judging from this season so far he was obviously playing injured last season. Why did they let him play 64 games? It’s not like we were fighting for a playoff spot until the last regular season game. Seems super questionable.
My issue is less "why did they let him play 64 games" (perhaps the injury was a type that rest wouldn't really help), but rather "why did you insist on putting him on the top line throughout the season when he was clearly ineffective there."

It's the Cooper special. He did the same thing after TJ broke his hand in the playoffs.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
My issue is less "why did they let him play 64 games" (perhaps the injury was a type that rest wouldn't really help), but rather "why did you insist on putting him on the top line throughout the season when he was clearly ineffective there."

It's the Cooper special. He did the same thing after TJ broke his hand in the playoffs.
I mean with TJ at least it was in the playoffs when he was our best player. Yzerman was on the ice for half the game with a destroyed knee in the playoffs. Or Pronger. Or Brown for LA. I get that (kind of). But regular season as the clear cut #1 team in the league with a 20 point cushion? That’s just stupid. Could have had Martel or Conacher play 6-8 minutes a night on the 4th, reward and promote players who actually perform in the meantime and let the man heal up for when it really counts. Instead he dragged everybody down, had plays die on his stick and killed chemistry of existing and potential new line combos.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It's a good question. I dont know why they didn't rest him. He was pretty big in our teams prior success. You would think all they really care is that he is ready to go for the playoffs. I wonder what his injury was.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean with TJ at least it was in the playoffs when he was our best player. Yzerman was on the ice for half the game with a destroyed knee in the playoffs. Or Pronger. Or Brown for LA. I get that (kind of).

Wasn't really true after Johnson broke his wrist though. He couldn't shoot the puck, and he was playing at the top of the circle, where his purpose was to shoot the puck. It was ****ing surreal.

With Yzerman etc, they were contributing (a LOT) despite the injuries. Whereas, with Johnson, after he took that hit from Duncan Keith (which was blatant interference), he was no longer capable of shooting the puck. He wasn't effective. But Cooper kept going to him because he'd been effective in previous rounds... But I mean, in previous rounds he was effective specifically because he could shoot the puck.

Ugh. It's been over four years and that one still makes me twitch.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I highly doubt it was just an injury, guys can suck while healthy too. Not all bad play is correlated with injury.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Well, but our beloved @Still All In has hinted at him being hurt/injured. I also read he changed his workout routines in the summer. I think a number of factors played a role there.

Still, if a player can't improve over 64 games maybe it's time to limit his responsibilities and have a face-to-face conversation between coach and player about expectations and performance. Not be stubborn and cram prime ice time down an underperforming player's throat no matter what while completely ignoring the Millers on the team.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I highly doubt it was just an injury, guys can suck while healthy too. Not all bad play is correlated with injury.

One thing that is rarely talked about is the residual effect that an injury has on player confidence. He was physically healthy when they brought him back, but there were definitely some lingering issues. He was hesitant and out of game shape mentally. Having a summer and training camp to reset has done wonders.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I love you Drej. I'm sorry I lost faith in you. I'm sorry I forgot about you. My punk ass deserves a full-blown check into the boards. You were playing bad but I was wrong to believe it would last forever. Sir, I will take my crow deep-fried with the feathers still on it

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I love you Drej. I'm sorry I lost faith in you. I'm sorry I forgot about you. My punk ass deserves a full-blown check into the boards. You were playing bad but I was wrong to believe it would last forever. Sir, I will take my crow deep-fried with the feathers still on it

That’s why I have not commented really on him this season (aside from mentioning him falling down in preseason). He could easily get injured again

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
he looks way better. by the analytics he was only really not good in 18-19. i think theres a chance that was just a down year and we are watching the start ofhis return to being a good 2nd liner

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Has 5 goals already, which ties Stammer for the team lead. Only had 8 (in 64 games) last year and 11 (in 56 games) the year before.

Reactions: lakai17

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
And he was again our best player last night.
Not even close, just never seen him skating so well. Fingers crossed, I hope that's the good old Palat again. I don't have time to provide the numbers yet, but statistically speaking Ondrej is one of the most productive passing player in this decade @ 5v5. His body might have failed him for a while, the potential and ice-vision were always there nonetheless.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->