Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
My only memory of Palat this postseason is him falling on his own with nobody around him and going skates first into the boards.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He hasn't played a full season in his career. Ever.

Close, 81 once, but otherwise, he has been injured.

At some point that has to be factored into who the player is though. He is what he is on the ice, whatever the reason.

I'd love to see him return to form, but it's been a while now.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
he had 3 straight really good scoring seasons in 13-14 14-15 and 15-16. drove on ice results really well in 14-15 too, to the point where he very arguably had an elite season. that triplets line was insane. starting in 16-17, tho, he dropped off hard offensively. he became more of a third line level scorer that year and 4th line for the last 2 years. and in these last 2 years he lost the little bit of play driving/defensive ability that he had remaining in 16-17. at this point he is not good at all.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
he had 3 straight really good scoring seasons in 13-14 14-15 and 15-16. drove on ice results really well in 14-15 too, to the point where he very arguably had an elite season. that triplets line was insane. starting in 16-17, tho, he dropped off hard offensively. he became more of a third line level scorer that year and 4th line for the last 2 years. and in these last 2 years he lost the little bit of play driving/defensive ability that he had remaining in 16-17. at this point he is not good at all.
35 points in 56 games and 34 points in 64 isnt 4th line level, definetley third. Hopefully he bounces back this season.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
35 points in 56 games and 34 points in 64 isnt 4th line level, definetley third. Hopefully he bounces back this season.
i was referring to primary 5v5 production, of course he can pick up secondary assists in tampa and he inexplicably got top unit PP ice time over miller/gourde/cirelli/joseph at times this year so he picked up some pp points leeching off of stamkuchpointman

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
i was referring to primary 5v5 production, of course he can pick up secondary assists in tampa and he inexplicably got top unit PP ice time over miller/gourde/cirelli/joseph at times this year so he picked up some pp points leeching off of stamkuchpointman
I know he wasn't good but using that data isnt neccessarily painting a picture. I saw Jordie Benn had more ES points than Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Doughty, Klingberg and more. Did they have third pairing level seasons?

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I know he wasn't good but using that data isnt neccessarily painting a picture. I saw Jordie Benn had more ES points than Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Doughty, Klingberg and more. Did they have third pairing level seasons?
defenseman point production is weird and much less of a factor in player evaluations than forward production, imo

also over half of benn's 5v5 points were secondary assists, which while they arent nearly as big of a red flag for dman production as for forwards, they are still a bit of a red flag

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
defenseman point production is weird and much less of a factor in player evaluations than forward production, imo

also over half of benn's 5v5 points were secondary assists, which while they arent nearly as big of a red flag for dman production as for forwards, they are still a bit of a red flag
Kuch had the most secondary assists this year, the most primary too but what i'm saying is, secondary assists can be better than the primary at times, so i dont agree with that evaluation in every situation.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Kuch had the most secondary assists this year, the most primary too but what i'm saying is, secondary assists can be better than the primary at times, so i dont agree with that evaluation in every situation.
more often than not they are just statistical noise esp for forwards

and kuch killed it primary points wise as well

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I mean who wouldn't score at atleast 0.5 ppg pace when being put into the league's best top 6? Not to mention the power play. His play this season was 4th line level at best.

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013
I mean who wouldn't score at atleast 0.5 ppg pace when being put into the league's best top 6? Not to mention the power play. His play this season was 4th line level at best.
I guess we have different views on 4th line level then.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
At some point that has to be factored into who the player is though. He is what he is on the ice, whatever the reason.

I'd love to see him return to form, but it's been a while now.
This is the kind of post I was going for - he doesn't suck necessarily, but we need to be very honest with ourselves and ask if he'll ever be that same player again.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
With the outcome of last season’s playoffs and Offdrej’s performance especially and over the entire season (not just playoffs) I hope we’re done with the ‘benefit of the doubt’ treatment just because of (long) past accomplishments and based on reputation. He was glued to the top-6 and 1PP despite his terrible production and play. They should look real hard into moving him. Today he’s on overpaid bottom-sixer, injury-prone and won’t show up for half a season even when healthy. We have lots of good memories of him, the TKO era, his ‘never quit’ attitude but unfortunately that’s all a thing of the past. It’s safe to say he will never be that kind of player again. Guys like Joseph brought more than him in just their 1st career season, guys like Killorn still find ways to contribute. Time to move on. A fresh start could do wonders for him as well so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was open to leaving too.

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
With the outcome of last season’s playoffs and Offdrej’s performance especially and over the entire season (not just playoffs) I hope we’re done with the ‘benefit of the doubt’ treatment just because of (long) past accomplishments and based on reputation. He was glued to the top-6 and 1PP despite his terrible production and play. They should look real hard into moving him. Today he’s on overpaid bottom-sixer, injury-prone and won’t show up for half a season even when healthy. We have lots of good memories of him, the TKO era, his ‘never quit’ attitude but unfortunately that’s all a thing of the past. It’s safe to say he will never be that kind of player again. Guys like Joseph brought more than him in just their 1st career season, guys like Killorn still find ways to contribute. Time to move on. A fresh start could do wonders for him as well so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was open to leaving too.
Exactly my words. He was our worst player on worlds this year. He is lost. Hope JBB will trade him.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We should look into trading him now. Palat still has a decent reputation. Another season like this and we'll have to give up assets to get rid of him.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
My only memory of Palat this postseason is him falling on his own with nobody around him and going skates first into the boards.
He is the Lightning revision of Dan Cleary. He just fell of a cliff in terms of game play. Cleary was a good middle 6 player for Detroit then he just crashed and became useless. He would fall and flop all over the ice.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
We should look into trading him now. Palat still has a decent reputation. Another season like this and we'll have to give up assets to get rid of him.
I say get OTT on the phone. We offer you a 3rd and Palat for your 2nd. In fact we will give you our 4th and Palat for your 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad