Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Sadly, I have to agree that it's looking more and more like Palat is a passenger now, and expendable. Funny that, between the two of them, Johnson's contract looked worse. But Palat seems to be relaxing with his new money. Time will tell on Johnson's contract, but so far he's at least earning his money.

We used to play a slow cycle game (ugh), forwards weren't able to come back and help because they were so deep and we had bad defenders beyond Stralman and Hedman which made Palat's style of play valuable. Now that most of our forwards are adequate 2 way players and our defense has improved tremendously Palat's effectiveness has taken a hit, the biggest change is that we play such a speed game now and he sticks out like a sore thumb.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I always feel bad when I'm negative on Palat. Like maybe it is just a numbers thing. Point exploded harder and sooner than probably anyone expected. Gourde broke out in a big way that I don't think anyone expected. That's two top 6 guys that probably got there quicker than anticipated (or in Gourdes case, maybe not anticipated at all).

Namestnikov (IMO) was not a top 6 guy and was only producing because of his superstar linemates. You bring in JT Miller, who is (again, IMO) much more of a top 6 player that can fit anywhere in the lineup.

So you have pretty defined roles for these guys and then Miller, Point and Gourde come along and take some of that shine away. They eat at the minutes and move guys down the lineup that may just not be the best place for them to produce.

It's a beautiful problem to have, but there's definitely something off with Palat this year. Given the depth we have, I kind of just wish they'd leave him shut down for a bit.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
What are we gonna do about Palat? That contract is starting to look real ugly. It’s gotten to the point where I feel like even Callahan would look better in the top six.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Palat is easily our worst forward, maybe even player, right now. I don't know if it's because he's become a dad and lost focus or he changed his training routine or diet or or or. All I know is I'd rather see even Martel in the lineup than this guy right now. He can't be playing thru an injury will all the depth we have and our rotation in place.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'm still not convinced that removing him from the lineup makes us a better team. Martel feels like a Conacher, where he shines when he gets a random chance every other week or so, but disappears if given regular minutes. Hard to say, because his MO hasn't quite revealed itself yet. As for Palat's other potential replacements, Cally can't play every night, and I think Erne and Joseph still benefit from the odd night off. To me they always look sharpest on their first night back after being out of the lineup.

More than any of that, though, I'm still kind of holding out hope that second half Palat is just running late this year, and that he'll show up when it matters. But I'm not opposed to sitting him a bit down the stretch to see if we can hit on a stronger lineup. I mean, he's still a solid guy to have in reserve, if that's how it plays out.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
I'm still not convinced that removing him from the lineup makes us a better team. Martel feels like a Conacher, where he shines when he gets a random chance every other week or so, but disappears if given regular minutes. Hard to say, because his MO hasn't quite revealed itself yet. As for Palat's other potential replacements, Cally can't play every night, and I think Erne and Joseph still benefit from the odd night off. To me they always look sharpest on their first night back after being out of the lineup.

More than any of that, though, I'm still kind of holding out hope that second half Palat is just running late this year, and that he'll show up when it matters. But I'm not opposed to sitting him a bit down the stretch to see if we can hit on a stronger lineup. I mean, he's still a solid guy to have in reserve, if that's how it plays out.

It seems different this year. It isn’t that he isn’t second half palat yet and is just kind of invisible. It is that he is awful. Can’t ever win a single puck battle, every play he touches dies, and he just doesn’t seem interested in having the puck. He sucks right now. Don’t know if he is hurt, but the guy needs a night from the press box.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
It seems different this year. It isn’t that he isn’t second half palat yet and is just kind of invisible. It is that he is awful. Can’t ever win a single puck battle, every play he touches dies, and he just doesn’t seem interested in having the puck. He sucks right now. Don’t know if he is hurt, but the guy needs a night from the press box.
He's been disappointing for sure. He could still be injured, but I agree that there seems to be an interest/focus component as well. We'll see what happens, I guess.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On one hand, I'm not convinced that he's really declined, and we'll never see "the old Palat" again. On the other hand, we have some serious decisions to make in the off-season, and if Miller and Gourde outperform Palat the rest of the way, then maybe we have to err on the side of caution and explore moving him, if it's possible, before moving one of them.

Our regular season has been so shockingly good that a lot of guys just don't HAVE to perform at their best, and the team still wins. Nobody supports that, but, at the same time, a big post-season will erase the rest of the year.

Reactions: Bolt 45

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Just a thought: What if having a kid now is distracting him or something? Only thing that's changed since last year (unless it's injury related).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Just a thought: What if having a kid now is distracting him or something? Only thing that's changed since last year (unless it's injury related).

You never know with new babies. It doesn't phase some players, but there could always be added difficulties at home that we don't know about. Or maybe there aren't. All we really have to go on is he has somehow become the forward who's often worst for his role. (As in, he's a better player than Paquette, but Paquette is better in his role, 4C, than Palat, a top-six W)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You never know with new babies. It doesn't phase some players, but there could always be added difficulties at home that we don't know about. Or maybe there aren't. All we really have to go on is he has somehow become the forward who's often worst for his role. (As in, he's a better player than Paquette, but Paquette is better in his role, 4C, than Palat, a top-six W)

I think it has to do with a lot with the all the speed we've added in the past 2 years, the system isn't just slow it down and cycle anymore which is where Palat excelled. We've more rushes the past 2 years that any of the other years Cooper has coached. The speed game is not Palat's forte.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Palat officially has his head up his arse and needs to be kept off of the ice until he can get it straightened out.
I don’t know what his issue is but cooper needs to stop playing this guy on the pp or in our top 6. If you go back to there ahl and nhl days Johnson and palat have played more games then anyone in this organization. So there both always playing 100 plus games a year.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I missed the sens game, didn’t see the lines.

I thought the previous game palat had some zip with Cirelli and Killorn. Why don’t they give that a wirl?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think it has to do with a lot with the all the speed we've added in the past 2 years, the system isn't just slow it down and cycle anymore which is where Palat excelled. We've more rushes the past 2 years that any of the other years Cooper has coached. The speed game is not Palat's forte.
I think this is the main issue. Almost everybody on the team has wheels, even our bigger players like Miller, Erne or Paquette. Plus with Gourde, Joseph, Cirelli we've gotten even faster. And it's not just footspeed, our game (when on) relies on quick passing and shooting.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
If Palat could just stop turning the puck over every single time he touches it I would be fine with him. I don’t really even care if he produces offensively as long as he doesn’t actively try and make us lose with his play.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
I'm ready to forget about Drej. Looks as if the guy is both terrified and apathetic when he is on the ice, collecting checks is all that seems to matter to him.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
I'm ready to forget about Drej. Looks as if the guy is both terrified and apathetic when he is on the ice, collecting checks is all that seems to matter to him.
Agreed! When the bolts gave out the large contracts to Palat and TJ, I really thought it was TJ we would fret about. Was I wrong!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Whatever's going on, I hope management is on top of it. What I mean is, if this is just going to be an off year, then whatever. I'm happy to have Palat back, putting up 45 points in 60 games every year at 5m, so long as his D gets back to an elite level for a winger. But if this is what we can expect from here on out, then we should probably explore moving him while he still has name value.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Been looking thru some stats and holy shit look at this: Palat has 1 goal in his last 28 games. ONE. This also means his other seven goals came in the other 31 games he played.

His current 0.136 GPG (8 goals in 59 games) this season is worse than his GPG in his rookie season (2 in 14 for 0.142). Since then he was well around (and above) 0.2 GPG.
From the beginning to the most recent year: 0.142 / 0.284 / 0.213 / 0.258 / 0.226 / 0.196 / 0.136*

WTH is wrong with him? He's getting spoon fed prime ice time on a line with Stamkos and time on our 1st PP. And he's doing absolutely nothing with it.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Cumulative injuries matter and Drej is clearly not over his. Now dealing with another. A lost couple of seasons for him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Cumulative injuries matter and Drej is clearly not over his. Now dealing with another. A lost couple of seasons for him.

Doesn't start the season until February, always injured, mediocre player performer, tons of red flags there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad