Player Discussion: Ondrej Palat

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Pretty sure it's Stamkos that's dragging him down as well as Gourde. Both players were doing much better before being put on his wing. Stamkos just doesn't elevate his linemates at all. We need to put wingers who can produce no matter who centers them, I'm talking Killorn and Callahan.

Killorn - Stamkos - Callahan

Stamkos can do his thing and the two wingers will do theirs and somehow they'll all hit their expected production. Meanwhile Palat can try to regain his form with Point or form a great shutdown line with Cirelli.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can't stay healthy, can't stay consistent. His style of play is not going to age well would be the first contract I'd move if it were possible.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Can't stay healthy, can't stay consistent. His style of play is not going to age well would be the first contract I'd move if it were possible.
disagree the value will be better for a return of gourde or miller because we can move them to any team! with palat we have to get him to waive his NTC for a team which will hurt the value of return.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
disagree the value will be better for a return of gourde or miller because we can move them to any team! with palat we have to get him to waive his NTC for a team which will hurt the value of return.

"if it were possible"

Who cares about the value? Capspace is more important, seconded by effective players on the roster. You're not getting full value for Gourde or Miller either because every team knows Tampa needs to clear capspace, at least those 2 can stay healthy and contribute.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
"if it were possible"

Who cares about the value? Capspace is more important, seconded by effective players on the roster. You're not getting full value for Gourde or Miller either because every team knows Tampa needs to clear capspace, at least those 2 can stay healthy and contribute.
because we need kids / prospects to replace a palat, miller or gourde otherwise we become a lottery team like the blackhawks get as much value back as possible in every trade

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't even really care, TBH. Palat has been bad this year. Not just in the sense that he's not playing to his usual standard. He's been actively bad.

I'd absolutely explore moving Palat before Miller at this point.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't even really care, TBH. Palat has been bad this year. Not just in the sense that he's not playing to his usual standard. He's been actively bad.

I'd absolutely explore moving Palat before Miller at this point.
thats cool tell that to his full NTC he has for the next three years

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
because we need kids / prospects to replace a palat, miller or gourde otherwise we become a lottery team like the blackhawks get as much value back as possible in every trade
This is stupid. Blackhawks went backwards because they overvalued the wrong players. Trading Panarin for Saad while not saving any f***ing money? Why?

Add into that, they signed everyone to retirement contracts. Say what you want about the Killorn, Palat, Johnson contracts, but they cover the players prime years, not their twilight years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This is stupid. Blackhawks went backwards because they overvalued the wrong players. Trading Panarin for Saad while not saving any ****ing money? Why?

Add into that, they signed everyone to retirement contracts. Say what you want about the Killorn, Palat, Johnson contracts, but they cover the players prime years, not their twilight years.

Not only that but the Blackhawks spent years emptying out their cupboard trading for rentals and trying to extend their window, I'm not faulting them because ultimate they are the most successful team the past decade but the situations are nowhere near the same as TB.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
But you gave him A NTC why would he want to leave a contender and Tampa for another place ?

A NTC doesn't protect you from the expansion draft so if Palat would prefer to play for Seattle or a team he may get a say in is up to him. His role is slowly diminishing and he will be falling out of the top 6, he should be already but Cooper is stubborn on him. He still will want one more big contract and if you're playing in the bottom 6 with little PP time you would have the numbers for a big deal. He could waive and get back to being a legit top 6 player and get that retirement contract, he sure as hell won't here.

As for replacements we have them, especially for what Palat has become. Volkov plays a similar style, more of a shooter though, who can slide into a 2nd or 3rd line role and not fail. Katchouk is having a rough rookie year but a bounce back season next year and he could be a replacement. ABB is still a mystery to me, the kid has a ton of offensive skill, not sure he can do it in the NHL and at 5 on 5. Joseph can also play the left side if needed and he's playing better than Palat already. We aren't replacing the Palat of a few years ago which would be hard, the current one is easier.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
A NTC doesn't protect you from the expansion draft so if Palat would prefer to play for Seattle or a team he may get a say in is up to him. His role is slowly diminishing and he will be falling out of the top 6, he should be already but Cooper is stubborn on him. He still will want one more big contract and if you're playing in the bottom 6 with little PP time you would have the numbers for a big deal. He could waive and get back to being a legit top 6 player and get that retirement contract, he sure as hell won't here.

As for replacements we have them, especially for what Palat has become. Volkov plays a similar style, more of a shooter though, who can slide into a 2nd or 3rd line role and not fail. Katchouk is having a rough rookie year but a bounce back season next year and he could be a replacement. ABB is still a mystery to me, the kid has a ton of offensive skill, not sure he can do it in the NHL and at 5 on 5. Joseph can also play the left side if needed and he's playing better than Palat already. We aren't replacing the Palat of a few years ago which would be hard, the current one is easier.
Right not say he won’t move one day I just don’t see it happening at the deadline or this summer. Expansion draft it’s possible he moves then. Him going to Seattle would not be bad he would get a top 6 role there pretty easily.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is stupid. Blackhawks went backwards because they overvalued the wrong players. Trading Panarin for Saad while not saving any ****ing money? Why?

They also over-estimated how quickly the cap would rise when it came time to sign Kane and Toews. Saving no money there whatsoever hurt them a lot. It's been a few years and those are still two of the biggest contracts in the league.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sadly, I have to agree that it's looking more and more like Palat is a passenger now, and expendable. Funny that, between the two of them, Johnson's contract looked worse. But Palat seems to be relaxing with his new money. Time will tell on Johnson's contract, but so far he's at least earning his money.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->