Value of: Ondrej Palat to Edmonton

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Palat would be a great fit on our 2nd line imo whether it is Nuge or Draisaitl centering that line.

28 years old and signed for 3 more years at a 5.3m dollar cap hit.

Tampa will need to move cap so moving Palat could make sense for them.

For the purpose of this thread let's say he decides to waive his NTC. Also, don't ask for important roster players we have (the purpose of this is to improve our roster and clear cap for Tampa) and obviously the 8th pick and Bouchard are off limits.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Palat would be a great fit on our 2nd line imo whether it is Nuge or Draisaitl centering that line.

28 years old and signed for 3 more years at a 5.3m dollar cap hit.

Tampa will need to move cap so moving Palat could make sense for them.

For the purpose of this thread let's say he decides to waive his NTC. Also, don't ask for important roster players we have (the purpose of this is to improve our roster and clear cap for Tampa) and obviously the 8th pick and Bouchard are off limits.

So we’re offering... what, then?

Taking “Important Roster Players” off the table I assume removes the two obvious ones, RNH, Nurse, and Klefbom, and then adding 8th and Bouchard. Doesn’t leave much on the table, though he’s had a couple down seasons.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Taking “Important Roster Players” off the table I assume removes the two obvious ones, RNH, Nurse, and Klefbom, and then adding 8th and Bouchard. Doesn’t leave much on the table, though he’s had a couple down seasons.
Well he isn't worth any of those guys and the purpose of this is to move out salary for Tampa... Meaning they can't take money back, meaning they can't take those players anyway.

I was thinking of something along the lines of starting off with our 2nd + Bear, then maybe adding another 2nd or a 3rd.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Honestly. The Oilers need to just suck it up and properly build up the franchise. They just spent years devaluing assets and there isn't a lot there. Don't look for more shortcuts and do it properly this time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Well he isn't worth any of those guys and the purpose of this is to move out salary for Tampa... Meaning they can't take money back, meaning they can't take those players anyway.

I was thinking of something along the lines of starting off with our 2nd + Bear, then maybe adding another 2nd or a 3rd.

We also need to move money out, though. That’s why we’re screwed right now. We finally have prospects worth a damn but we can’t take any money back unless it’s the first of multiple moves.

I like Palat, but with 11 and 8 goals his last two seasons I don’t think he’s worth his money.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

We also need to move money out, though. That’s why we’re screwed right now. We finally have prospects worth a damn but we can’t take any money back unless it’s the first of multiple moves.

I like Palat, but with 11 and 8 goals his last two seasons I don’t think he’s worth his money.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB

Fair enough

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
This is not a good sign, Oiler gents.
Doesn't seem so...

But I'd take it with a grain of salt, the post playoff overreactions are still aplenty. I mean HFOil would literally blow up if we had 62 wins in the reg. season then got swept by the 16 seed in the first round.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
We need to be looking at Johnson not Palat. He has skill and speed and Tampa needs space. Use the same offer for him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don’t think you will find a single Tampa fan who thinks Palat is a good player at this point in his career.

Palat got injured and missed a significant part of the season, he never looked the same when he came back. I don't think we can really say why he's been so bad. He's too young to be in decline

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
We need to be looking at Johnson not Palat. He has skill and speed and Tampa needs space. Use the same offer for him.

Johnson has a full NTC and would certainly not agree to go to EDM, where as Palat doesn't until the 20-21 season

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat got injured and missed a significant part of the season, he never looked the same when he came back. I don't think we can really say why he's been so bad. He's too young to be in decline

He had a baby, signed a big contract not that long ago... Lots of life changes. It's tough to really pinpoint the problem without inside knowledge. It could be something that clears up as early as next year or this could just be who he is now. Almost impossible to say.

TB really needs a guy who plays the way Palat used to play. And a guy who plays the way Callahan used to too.

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Well...

Here's the thing. We need to move money. But we also need some sort of roster shake-up. So figuring out which player(s) moves for a draft pick, and which player(s) we use for a hockey trade, is a little tough right now.

I can see us moving Palat for a pick, but don't the Oilers have to move money too?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Well...

Here's the thing. We need to move money. But we also need some sort of roster shake-up. So figuring out which player(s) moves for a draft pick, and which player(s) we use for a hockey trade, is a little tough right now.

I can see us moving Palat for a pick, but don't the Oilers have to move money too?
We'd have enough cap space from expiring deals to fit in Palat's 5.35m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad