once again near the top of cup winning odds

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
As we come into the season and so many people here have questions about the team, I thought I'd make a very simple thread about the current cup odds on a few sites. I'm looking at one now:

Hawks 13/2
Kings 9/1
Bruins 10/1
Ducks 12/1
Pens 12/1
Blues 12/1
Sharks 14/1
Wild 16/1

Thought I'd post those top ones to illustrate something

1) Nobody else from our division up there

2) Only 2 teams from the East in those top teams, which is why even if you're not the best team in the league, you have an excellent chance to represent your conference if your path to the finals is slightly easier. From there anything can happen.

Grain of salt, I don't know what my expectations for the team are. But I know that really smart guys in Vegas hammer those odds out, and objective people think we have a top 3 team.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins stay healthy they should be at or near the top and I'm picking them for the Cup

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I'm just hoping that they finish first in goals against and top 5 in goals for.

Leading the league in goal differential would be huge for Clode's resume as he makes his case for the HHOF.

An added bonus would be spending the most weeks at #1 in TSN's power rankings.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What odds can I get on a third place division finish and knocked out in the second round?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
What?

Do they know that:

-we are in Cap hell
-we are over the Cap without a complete lineup
-Smith and Krug still ain't signed
-Leino and Gagne are invited in camp
-Chia is at best a C+
-we'll likely go from 3rd best offense to the basement because Iggy and Thornton left
-a healthy Seidenberg won't be much of an impact on an already top GAA team in the league
-we'll be in trouble and likely fight for a WC spot if a 3rd liner like Loui is playing on the 1st line
-the division and the East is full of Cup contending teams

How can they have us as the most probable Cup winner in the East and 2nd overall?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's no surprise.

What team can you actually justify putting ahead of the Bruins outside of the usual suspects? (Chicago/LA) Certainly no one in the East. The only team that could feasibly take a run at Boston is Tampa, and that's just based on more "on paper" type stuff.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
What?

Do they know that:

-we are in Cap hell
-Chia is at best a C+
-we'll likely go from 3rd best offense to the basement because Iggy and Thornton left
-a healthy Seidenberg won't be much of an impact on an already top GAA team in the league
-we'll be in trouble and likely fight for a WC spot if a 3rd liner like Loui is playing on the 1st line

How can they have us as the most probable Cup winner in the East and 2nd overall?

You forgot "soft as Charmin."

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
What?

Do they know that:

-we are in Cap hell
-Chia is at best a C+

but they did sleep at a holiday inn express last night

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What?

Do they know that:

-we are in Cap hell
-Chia is at best a C+

The betting lines start as a guess and get validated by the masses. The house is incentivized to minimize payouts. They do that by offsetting each side of the bet against the other while making money off the rake in the middle. The closer they get to even odds (as determined by the masses) the higher their rake will be with respect to any discrepancy to one side or the other of the line.

http://ask.metafilter.com/192252/How-do-Vegas-oddsmakers-make-their-odds

member 96824

What?

Do they know that:

-we are in Cap hell
-Chia is at best a C+

You're giving the trolls and bullies gasoline sir

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The betting lines start as a guess and get validated by the masses. The house is incentivized to minimize payouts. They do that by offsetting each side of the bet against the other while making money off the rake in the middle. The closer they get to even odds (as determined by the masses) the higher their rake will be with respect to any discrepancy to one side or the other of the line.

http://ask.metafilter.com/192252/How-do-Vegas-oddsmakers-make-their-odds

So does that mean we suck? :sarcasm:

Honestly I'd rather the Bruins not go in as favorites, one less thing to think about, just go play the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad